PINT Observations
Apr 10, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #91 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
Just a quick question about RoHS compliancies...

RoHS is a European Union regulation, so it only applies there. The only reason you're hearing about it worldwide is that it does affect commercial operations, because almost everyone wants to sell to Europe.

EDIT: Oh, and even if you do have electronics to sell into Europe, the regulation doesn't take effect for another few months, roughly. (June or July 1, I forget.)

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #93 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
Do you think it would be a good first DIY project

No. The PINT is more difficult to build than any other amp on my site in several respects. It's easier in others, but the point is that this is not a beginner project.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #94 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
Do you think it would be a good first DIY project for someone like me whos never done any of this stuff?

I would not recommend it as a first time project. Many people find surface mount soldering difficult, and the amp itself is fairly difficult in terms of getting everything right to make it work (see my thread, for instance). It's doable, but there is significant risk involved in making it a first time project.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #95 of 103
That reminds me, is there any way to learn surface mount other than wrecking the 8397s ?

I would say I'm fairly proficient at through hole, although I do use a touch too much solder at times, but have never done surface mount. So is there a fairly cheap way to practice it ?

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #96 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz
That reminds me, is there any way to learn surface mount other than wrecking the 8397s ?

I would say I'm fairly proficient at through hole, although I do use a touch too much solder at times, but have never done surface mount. So is there a fairly cheap way to practice it ?

order some cheap opamps, like the NJM4556AM, which runs around $.25, and is a legitimate substitute.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #97 of 103
Quote:

So is there a fairly cheap way to practice it ?

practice removing the components of old, unused PC hardware or anything with a circuit board.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #98 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
practice removing the components of old, unused PC hardware or anything with a circuit board.

This is what I'd do, or find some broken piece of audio equipment at a thrift store. Some of those old portable radios are loaded with surface mount stuff.

Apr 10, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #99 of 103
Quote:

is there any way to learn surface mount other than wrecking the 8397s ?

First, watch my video on the topic. (#3)

Then go ahead and practice on existing equipment. Remove parts, put them back on, rinse, repeat.

If you want an intermediate project after that before jumping into a complete amp project, mount some SO-8 op-amps on Brown Dog adapters. This teaches you the skills without some of the consequences: you can plug the adapted chip into a socket that used to hold a DIP-8 chip. If it doesn't work, you can pretty confidently blame your soldering work, if you're using a chip that should just drop in if it's soldered correctly.

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #100 of 103
Well I got around to building the "low offset" version of the PINT...and even with the input caps, this amp sounds better than the Hornet. I recommend it over the Hornet. Thanks tangent
smily_headphones1.gif
Clean sound, much better stereo separation. Can't stand the hiss issue nor the limited use of the volume pot even with the HD600, so I'm prolly going to mini^3fy it.

Apr 19, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #101 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Well I got around to building the "low offset" version of the PINT...and even with the input caps, this amp sounds better than the Hornet. I recommend it over the Hornet. Thanks tangent
smily_headphones1.gif
Clean sound, much better stereo separation. Can't stand the hiss issue nor the limited use of the volume pot even with the HD600, so I'm prolly going to mini^3fy it.

wouldn't it sound better without input caps?

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #102 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
wouldn't it sound better without input caps?

It theoretically would, which is why I want to mini^3fy mine.

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #103 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Pint -VS- Mint... anyone??
Garrett

I'm still hoping for it, myself!

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back