Pink Floyds Recordings are Best in the world.
Aug 30, 2008 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Recordings sound terrible these days...these new young sound engineers should be made to listen to old Pink Floyd recordings.

Earlier, i never realized this... i did enjoy Pink floyds careful Placement of instruments..but never enjoyed the actual effect until today when i got my new HD555.

Their recordings are the epitome of Soundstaging & Acoustics.

every sample sounds so real even on average headphones & you can actually feel each instrument individually placed.

What do u guys think? any artist sounds better than PF on digital formats?

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 56
with my HD555..i am realizing the Recordings themselves must be a a huge bottleneck for u guys.

rite?

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 56
I'd agree about the PF recordings not being reference quality. I love the music but compare it to say Dire Strait's Brothers in Arms or Eric Clapton's Unplugged. All the DSotM releases still sound their age (though the SACD does have better dynamics). I don't think the masters were the best.

Aug 30, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 56
Many of Floyd's seminal recordings were made at the very peak of analog recording. Are they the epitome of what great analog recording can be? Not always, but there can be no doubt that they sound vastly superior to 99% of modern recordings. IMO the late 70's were the absolute pinnacle of recorded music. Nothing sounds that good, and I'm afraid it never will again.

Why? There used to be professionals called "producers" and "engineers" and "mixers" who were skilled in the lost art of making a RECORDING.

Now, you've got the artists trying to be recording engineers, putting everything recorded on crappy mikes they can afford onto a friggin' laptop, using Pro-Tools to mix and then sending the result off to be compressed to hell and EQ-ed to death.

The art of recording, producing and mixing albums is a lost art. Everything today sounds exactly the same (wasps buzzing in a tin can set at maximum volume). What is there to mix, when everything is slammed to the maximum? Everything starts to sound like the medium that was used to make it (i.e. Pro-Tools on cheap laptops) rather than an event actually happening.

It's sad.

Aug 31, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 56
Right on, markl. This guy is the real head-fi, kiddies.

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 56
I always love (not really) how the OP talks first then learns later. There are MoFi and DCC pressings of many different albums. Assuming that the master tapes are produced at least adequately, then either of those two bigshot companies could further bring the SQ to a whole new level.

Not being limited just to those two companies, there are also many CD companies that "get it right" on the first time, such as the first pressing editions. A recent example are the Alison Krauss CDs, thankfully to the singer and the production quality that goes into them.

In short, there are many, many other recordings besides Pink Floyd that have focused on sound quality and musical talent first and foremost; SQ was perhaps never Pink Floyd's greatest concern. So remember, there are always other things out there that are better than a Sennheiser HD555 and casual Pink Floyd CD masterings.
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 56
I agree. Pink Floyd recordings sound good, especially compared to todays recordings. I am listening to a DSoTM LP right now and I think it sounds great. However, they are not the best I have heard.

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. Pink Floyd recordings sound good, especially compared to todays recordings. I am listening to a DSoTM LP right now and I think it sounds great. However, they are not the best I have heard.

You see i am just 20...so for me Pink floyd is the first taste of great world class recording.

if u like u can recommend me other bands with similar Recording standards.

Why i am saying this is because my Linkin park minutes to midnight album Sounds so average even on a lossless format..whereas the Pink Floyd albums are ripped @ 320kbps mp3 & they sound hell lot better.

I am just fedup of buying original CDs and discovering the Recording is nearly same as 320 kbps mp3... and all instruments sound at same loudness.

For a person in the year 2008, Pink floyd sounds like the ultimate thing.

So what are the other artists equally good or better than PF?

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You see i am just 20...so for me Pink floyd is the first taste of great world class recording.

Why i am saying this is because my Linkin park minutes to midnight album Sounds so average even on a lossless format..whereas the Pink Floyd albums are ripped @ 320kbps mp3 & they sound hell lot better.

I am just fedup of buying original CDs and discovering the Recording is nearly same as 320 kbps mp3... and all instruments sound at same loudness.

For a person in the year 2008, Pink floyd sounds like the ultimate thing.

So what are the other artists equally good or better than PF?

That puts it in perspective, thanks for the clarification. You'll be pleased with the recording quality of just about any classic rock, classical, jazz and quite a bit of other stuff - it's mainly the year 2000+ metal and pop that suffer the most from bad recording & mastering.

As for band quality, I'm a bit biased here as PF is my favorite, bar none. But some other classic rock artists I like, who are known for good recording quality, in no particular order, are Jethro Tull, Joe Walsh, Steely Dan and Dire Straits. There are also certain releases of all kinds of albums which are known for their quality, eg. "Black Triangle" CDs, MFSL CDs, etc.

One great band who I don't think has the best recording quality is Queen. Thoughts?

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You might want to try some new genres. I've found consistently good recordings with classical and jazz. Even if you're not a fan, you might want to search for some of the "getting into" type threads in the Music Forum. Both are so varied that you should be able to find something you like in each. I've also had good luck with most bluegrass, classic country and alt.country discs, same with most world music I've picked up.

Another tack you can try is picking up a turntable. Music on vinyl (especially older vinyl) is usually recorded well, especially the vintage discs. Those are cheap, too, so you can try all kinds of new music for a few dollars.

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #15 of 56
x2 Uncle Erik's suggestion. Buy a decent turntable and a 70's receiver w/phono inputs, start buying rock albums from the 60's and 70's for a few bucks apiece, and learn much.

The Stevehoffman.tv forum is also a very good resource for learning about quality recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back