Pink Floyd.... wow just wow....
Oct 13, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
In response to hearing the "F Word" in Breathe (first track, DSotM), the album has been used for the last thirty years as one of the main tests for detail and accuracy in headphones.

It to THIS DAY is one of the most detailed albums in the world and features many "little surprises" to be found each time you upgrade your rig.

IMO Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast (from Atom heart Mother) has plenty of detail treasures in it too...
I mean come on...there's nothing more ear-tickling than acoustic guitar laced with rice crispies, echoing voices coming from everywhere... and them cooking ...bacon
lambda.gif
<3 that album to bits

Oct 15, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #33 of 43
If you want to get a real grasp of the birth of Pink Floyd and the subsequent re-birth I suggest "Relics". It is a best of, sort of, of their early work. It is the only "best of" Pink Floyd I would get. I have it in my collection as well.

Welcome Pink Floyd newbies.

Oct 15, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #34 of 43
I've been listening to pink floyd since mid-80s, and to some, I'm a late starter.
IMO, anything post Roger Waters does not belong there. Even Final Cut is a departure.

Personal favorite - Pigs in Animals

Oct 15, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #35 of 43
Also been listening to 'The Floyd' since the mid eightys-own about 6 albums-The Wall being my 1st love
smily_headphones1.gif
I can also reccomend the film 'The Wall' to those who haven't had the pleasure....

Nov 29, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #36 of 43
ha! just got Meddle (the album with "Echoes" on it), and i LOVE it.(the Echoe part..)
Big bro played that music back in the 80s for me. Then i went into my jazz-period at 14 year old. And now at 30 years old i listen to PF again and get much more out of it. About Final cut, would say that it is very heartfelt music. Depressing in big dozes(any pink floyd album that isnt?lol..), but complete piece of music. If one have to use such a earthly word as "music" describing such perfection.
cool.gif

Dec 2, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #37 of 43
I bought The Wall in 1979 and have loved them ever since. I can't really choose a favourite album, but I do think that The Final Cut is a very underated & beautiful Pink Floyd album.

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
One of the few band that you have to get "every" album of. I don't think I even have a favourite, just preferred albums for different moods: for example:

final cut: reflective
Dark side of the moon: mellow
Meddle: thoughtful
Wish you were here: musical
Division Bell: political
The Wall: radical

Just to name a few...

Oh and don't forget some of the band members solo albums. A must have is Wet Dreams by Richard Wright. Wow... its just "super mellow".

Cheers,

TonyAAA

I think you list almost all of the greatest albums here except "Animal".

Pink Floyd is a very "deep" band, not very entertaining, however probably the best.

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by juneamour
I think you list almost all of the greatest albums here except "Animal".

Pink Floyd is a very "deep" band, not very entertaining, however probably the best.

Not entertaining? I've heard many people say that their concerts are among the best they have ever seen.

Dec 2, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #40 of 43
I used own a lot of Floyd albums. I don't know what happened to them. Now all I have left is Saucerful of Secrets and DSOTM. I remember back when I was 16 or 17 and Floyd was THE band to me (entered huge jazz phase; still into that mostly.) Some great albums that have not been mentioned include: Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Ummagumma.

I still think Pink Floyd is among the best music out there in the non-jazz genre. They're up there with the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix.

Dec 3, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by juneamour

What about the flying pig (with/without nuts), the octopus, those huge puppets from The Wall, sawing wood on stage, lights, lazers, smoke, fog, and of course........Roger spitting a big gob into some poor schmuck's face.
eek.gif
wink.gif
. I think they were extremely entertaining, and yes, very deep.

Dec 4, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #42 of 43
PF got me to buy PF, for the first time in a long time, if ever. DSotM is rather good. at the time it was recorded, i was totally unaware of PF (them or him).

so, on the way home i stopped at my local head/cd/vinyl shop (run by a couple of 20-somethings) who were a little puzzled by the request. this is the 1992 pressing. the short guy allowed as how there is a newer one. known to be better??

recognized much of it from classic-rock-radio. who knew??
kind of reminds me of "Days of Future Past". (no brick-bats, pls.)

as to "Breathe" and expletive, it's clearly audible at moderate volume with my senn PX-100/adcom 600/MAD setup. i'm itching to get the RS-2s tomorrow, despite the dust up over the 325s; so it doesn't need super-phones to hear it. not nearly as bass-y as i was expecting 70s proto-rock to be.

so PF: PF on the 501s?? is this an oxymoron?? or do you switch to beyers or some such for the occasion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back