Pink Floyd.... wow just wow....
Oct 12, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #16 of 43
You purist took this happy little threat and perverted it. Everyone who is arguing in this thread missed the point.

THE POINT: I have never heard anything by Pink Floyd besides "the wall." He is a very diverse and talented man. I want to get more of this music because I am very impressed. i haven't been this impressed with an artist since I first heard shpongle who I believe is a great great artist. END POINT

geesss, a person can't discover your sacred music because lord knows he's a dumbass who probably heard it on some commerialized album that isn't worth the plastic it was burned onto.

lighten up people.

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:41 AM Post #18 of 43
Heh!
biggrin.gif

I was just gonna say "glad you liked pink".

BTW, Dark Side should be rated R. My new rig allowed me to hear the "F word" at the beginning of the first track.

Oct 12, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
BTW, Dark Side should be rated R. My new rig allowed me to hear the "F word" at the beginning of the first track.

I still think it's funny how I still hear the word "bullsh*t" come through when "Money" is being played on the radio
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 11:33 AM Post #20 of 43
they are an amazing band I must say, and if you like the gretest hits you owe it to yourself to get some more as their albums set a theme and tone that you will not be experiencing with just some snippets. I must say tho that I wasnt to impressed when I went out and payed $40 for umma gumma (sp?) special edition... this CD (IMO) is utter crap and I can not sit down and listen to it without laughing at how stoned they must have been when recording/playing the album.

Other than that... bit thumbs up
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers
-jake

Oct 12, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #21 of 43
Hey, I just 'discovered' them too.
I was on my bike on my way home from work at 4am, and I was listening to my 'backup' of Dark Side. I've never thought this album or Pink Floyd was anything special but this night it was so amazing. I was convinced by the songs starting with an old man says 'I'm am not afraid of dying' and afterward a woman begins to scream/sing. On the other hand 'Time' was killing me... I hate alarms. I don't know why it suddenly appeared to me that it in fact was great music... and interesting music too. I don't know exactly what did it... maybe the star spangled sky, maybe the e3cs.... maybe even me being overtired
tongue.gif

Anyway, I figured I'd get some more, and I've though about 'Shine On.' From AMG (OT: did you know you search directly in firefox by typing allmusic <artist>? in the URL-line?)I can understand it's quite good. Unfortunately it seems quite expensive (around $120 on ebay.) At some point I saw a SACD version of their entire work but I can't find it anymore... If I were to buy the same Cd's one by one they'd be ~$110 too. Cd's are very expensive here -- $15 for each of the 'single' albums and $23 for the wall... So what would you, as an experienced Pink Floyd fan and collector, suggest?

Oct 12, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by llmobll
You purist took this happy little threat and perverted it.

perverted a "threat"
confused.gif
No perversion.... just commenting that a "best of" Pink Floyd album is nothing more than a disjointed bastardised medley..... It can be called a "sampler" but it certainly is not the "best" of Pink Floyd.

Quote:

He is a very diverse and talented man.

erm Pink Floyd is not a man.... Pink Floyd is a group consisting of Roger Waters (bass) Dave Gilmour (guitar) Rick Wright (keyboards) Nick Mason (drums)

Quote:

i haven't been this impressed with an artist since I first heard shpongle who I believe is a great great artist. END POINT

Shpongle is not an artist, shpongle are a duo consisting of Simon Posford and Raja Ram

Quote:

geesss, a person can't discover your sacred music because lord knows he's a dumbass who probably heard it on some commerialized album that isn't worth the plastic it was burned onto.

If echoes has introduced you to Pink Floyd then great! People here are just letting you know that floyd produce albums that all have a theme running through them and to chop parts out of each album and make a compilation just doesn't do their work, as a whole, any justice.

Quote:

lighten up people.

We are all very light and enlightened and trust you have learnt even more about Floyd from this thread...... you now know that Pink Floyd is not a person but a group and you have also learnt that Shpongle is a duo and not a person
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #23 of 43
In response to hearing the "F Word" in Breathe (first track, DSotM), the album has been used for the last thirty years as one of the main tests for detail and accuracy in headphones.

It to THIS DAY is one of the most detailed albums in the world and features many "little surprises" to be found each time you upgrade your rig.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
In response to hearing the "F Word" in Breathe (first track, DSotM), the album has been used for the last thirty years as one of the main tests for detail and accuracy in headphones.

It to THIS DAY is one of the most detailed albums in the world and features many "little surprises" to be found each time you upgrade your rig.

heh, someone once told me that there was a bedford van going from left to right during the money solo....... I think the guy was winding me up as I've never detected anything remotely resembling a van going from left to right during the solo...... has anyone else ever heard this mysterious van??

Oct 12, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #25 of 43
in my opinion "echoes" is just another compilation, just like "Relics", "Works" and "A Great Collection Of Dance Songs". Besides, "echoes" has a shortened version of echoes on it, what ****. i own it and never listen to it. Greatest hits album(s)? Ever album, every song, nothing being left out.

Oct 12, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapoon
in my opinion "echoes" is just another compilation, just like "Relics", "Works" and "A Great Collection Of Dance Songs". Besides, "echoes" has a shortened version of echoes on it, what ****. i own it and never listen to it. Greatest hits album(s)? Ever album, every song, nothing being left out.

Listening to Atom Heart Mother as I type this and am in a different part of the galaxy.... pure class.

Oct 12, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #28 of 43
It just doesn't get any better ...

"So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from Hell,
Blue skys from pain.
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you to trade
Your heros for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?