Pink Floyd Fan's Unite
Nov 12, 2008 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

kydsid

500+ Head-Fier
Now that poor Sir Wright's lost soul has gone to the great fish bowl in sky there will not be another Floyd concert. Nor will we be graced with him on David Gilmour's self tours. Fear not though:

Sir Gilmour has put out one amazing live album.

Amazon.com: Live in Gdansk (Limited Edition 5 Disc Set): David Gilmour: Music

It's at Best Buy now for $70 US. I have to say that when the acoustic version of Wish You Were Here came on from Disc Two I almost cried.

If you are a Pink Floyd fan this is a must get.

Not to mention the extra goodies that are present in the package.

Happy Rocking to all
k701smile.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 37
Well i am a Pink Floyd fan and am little saddened i couldnt attend any of their concert

just wanna hear David Gilmour's Marooned and Comfortably numb Solo once.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 37
Another Pink Floyd fan over here...
smile.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 37
Ok, I'm going to Best Buy already...
biggrin.gif

So when you heard this on a real system, i.e. not your car, the sound quality and production was excellent?

P.S. Best Buy's website is also showing a CD-only version for $12.99.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 37
Reporting for duty

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I'm going to Best Buy already...
biggrin.gif

So when you heard this on a real system, i.e. not your car, the sound quality and production was excellent?

P.S. Best Buy's website is also showing a CD-only version for $12.99.

Oh yes. I went home and spent the next 4 hours listening to the three CD's in the pack. I used the current rig I have. KingRex DAC-MapleTree EAR HD+-SR225s.

Well they actually have three versions. One CD 12.99. Two CDs One DVD32.99. And the 5 Disc Collector Version I bought. Not only does the collector have more music but I was shocked at the quality of the extras things like color glossy tour photos, a faux concert ticket, guitar pick and more!

BTW don't write off my car as not a real system. I will have to give you a ride at the next meet to understand.
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW don't write off my car as not a real system. I will have to give you a ride at the next meet to understand.
biggrin.gif

I did not mean to diss your car. In fact, it was rather foolish of me to assume that you had a "normal" car system. What was I thinking?
wink.gif

Upon further review, that is actually a 2-cd set for $12.99 ($11.99 at Amazon). Then there is a 2-cd + 2-dvd set, and then there is the one you bought with 3-cd + 2-dvd. What's on the 3rd CD?

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not mean to diss your car. In fact, it was rather foolish of me to assume that you had a "normal" car system. What was I thinking?
wink.gif

Upon further review, that is actually a 2-cd set for $11.99. Then there is a 2-cd + 2-dvd set, and then there is the one you bought with 3-cd + 2-dvd. What's on the 3rd CD?

True.

The third CD is more music , including a great version of On the Turning Away, which is one of my favourite songs. BUT, the absolute coolest thing on the 5th disc is that Shine On starts with them using wine glasses which is how they did it at recording and for a while afterwards but haven't in many years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.davidgilmour.com
SOURCE - Live In Gdańsk is available in versions to fit every pocket. The 2-CD audio-only version represents the August 2006 concert from the Gdańsk Shipyard, featuring David and his stellar touring band plus a 40-strong orchestra. The final concert of the On An Island tour in front of 50,000 people, it can be seen as well as heard on the 3-disc version, which includes an extra concert DVD (114 minutes long) and Gdańsk Diary, a 37-minute filmed documentary. All of the show is included on the CDs, except for Wot's... Uh The Deal?, which does however make an appearance over the concert end-credits on the DVD.

There is also a 4-disc version, packaged, like the 2-disc and the 3-disc, in a carbon-neutral cardboard wallet, with a 12-page booklet including credits and concert photos, plus a 5-disc package, presented in a cardboard box with bonus collectable extras. The 4-disc version is the same as the 3-disc version, but with an additional DVD of live performances from the Mermaid Theatre, the AOL Sessions, and Abbey Road. It also has three brand-new tracks performed as live jams by David with Richard Wright, Steve DiStanislao and Guy Pratt, filmed in David's barn. In addition, it also has the whole On An Island album in 5.1 surround sound audio, on Dolby Digital or DTS format.

As if that wasn't enough, the 5-disc version has all of the aforementioned discs, plus an extra audio CD of live tracks recorded on the Summer 2006 tour, and a 24-page booklet, reproduction concert memorabilia and a 2-sided poster.

Finally, for vinyl junkies, the entire concert is available in a box of LPs: 8 sides are the concert, including Wot's... Uh The Deal?, while the 5th disc holds two Barn Jams, On The Turning Away live from Venice, and two songs from the Live From Abbey Road sessions. You also get a 'Webpass', which allows one complete download of the whole five discs in MP3 format to a computer of your choice.

Disc Five Track List: Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Venice, August 12/Vienne, July 31) 62. Five: Dominoes (Paris, March 15) 63. Five: The Blue (Vienne, July 31) 64. Five: Take A Breath (Munich, July 29) 65. Five: Wish You Were Here (Glasgow, May 27) 66. Five: Coming Back To Life (Florence, August 2) 67. Five: Find The Cost Of Freedom (Manchester, May 26) 68. Five: This Heaven (Vienne, July 31) 69. Five: Wearing The Inside Out (Milan, March 25) 70. Five: A Pocketful Of Stones (Vienne, July 31) 71. Five: Where We Start (Vienne, July 31) 72. Five: On The Turning Away (Venice, August 12)

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 37
Love them, If only I were 2-3 years older. I really got into Floyd around 96-97 a couple years sooner and I could have seen Division bell tour.

Thanks for the heads up on the set.

p.s. The two disk set is available on Zune Pass, I am downloading as i type this.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #13 of 37
Another fan here.

Not being able to see them live ever will remain one of my biggest regrets.

Roger Waters live has been one of my best concerts. I can imagine how awesome it would have been to see Pink Floyd.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 37
Started getting into PF in 1973 (my senior year). Was able to see the 77, 87, 94 shows. To this day, the 77 show was my best concert. This band will be on my "stranded island" list forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back