Pink Floyd Fan's Unite
Nov 14, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #16 of 37
I'll be on the fast train to Best Buy in the AM to pick this up. Major thanks for the heads up.

Like many others, Pink Floyd was just a little before my time and I never saw them tour. I have seen Waters a few times, but what I would have given to go to one of their shows...

Thanks again!

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 37
Anyone else get a chance to listen to this set. I have to say the second DVD had some nice selections, including an accoustic version of Echoes and 3 Jam sessions done in David Gilmour's barn. Very cool and unique.

*End positive praise portion*
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #19 of 37
I like Pink Floyd and have been listening to them since 1973 but heard that Gilmour once said Sinead O'Connor is a "stupid girl" and I really like Sinead so think that was an uncool thing to say.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #20 of 37
If I only listened to music produced by people whose opinions I always agreed with, my music selection would be very, very small.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #21 of 37
Great album. Another fine output by Gilmour, proving once and for all who was the musical soul of Pink Floyd (I vote Wright and Gilmour). I cant believe someone on this board called Gilmour a "lucky sessions player" who would have been nothing without the rest of the group! I beg to differ. Yes,this is a great release. Sounds fantastic. i was scared the addition of an orchestra would be cheesy, but their contribution is very, very low key. In fact, you would think that their contribution is coming from a synth most of the time. Pink Floyd fan? I'm the biggest!

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I only listened to music produced by people whose opinions I always agreed with, my music selection would be very, very small.

True, but considering she was good enough to sing a great version of Comfortably Numb with them I think that is unkind and arrogant of him. I like and listen to all kinds of music but have a preference for like-minded souls.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Pink Floyd and have been listening to them since 1973 but heard that Gilmour once said Sinead O'Connor is a "stupid girl" and I really like Sinead so think that was an uncool thing to say.

Her SNL stunt would have had nothing to do with it. It tanked her career and perhaps he was commenting on that.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #25 of 37
Piper at the Gates of Dawn is one of the greatest albums of all time. Saucerful of Secrets and Meddle are good too.

However, Dark Side of the Moon and everything after it (including Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall) are trash in comparison. They're more like solo Roger Waters albums with guitar solos by Dave Gilmour. Poor Nick and Rick didn't get to have any input in the songwriting after 1973
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Her SNL stunt would have had nothing to do with it. It tanked her career and perhaps he was commenting on that.

She was standing up for the truth which does not make her a stupid girl. I think she sang with Pink Floyd after that episode though so I doubt that is the reason he said that but it is probably part of the reason. Sinead is still performing live today so it didn't tank her career completely. Many people supported her in her stance. Me included. Her voice is crap now compared to how it used to be but she still is a current performing artist.

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #28 of 37
\o
It's been quite time since last active Pink Floyd thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Saucerful for the win!

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #29 of 37
Floyd fan here!
Great to hear that the new set has alot for us!

Nov 20, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #30 of 37
The 5 platter 180g vinyl box set for $119 is quite tempting, especially considering that you're given a free download pass such that you'll have it all on MP3 as well. http://www.amazon.com/Live-Gdansk-18...7219733&sr=8-9 As newly pressed 180g vinyl goes, that's actually a pretty decent price considering the nice packaging and other goodies that come with it.

Ehh, went with the 2CD/2DVD version for $26.99 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back