Pill that saves your ears?
Dec 30, 2003 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 28
Heck, I'll try it. What have I got to lose? Pop an antioxidant before a headphone session and not inflame my tinitus? That would great by my standards.

Dec 30, 2003 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 28
GREAT NEWS!!

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting article about a new drug that supposedly could help prevent hearing loss.

Here

Best

Ari

Quote:
At the University of Michigan, for example, guinea pigs were blasted for five hours with 115 decibels of sound -- about the equivalent of a chainsaw. The racket devastated the pigs' hearing, with the animals losing as much as 50 dB in certain frequencies.
Unquote.

So this was found out using guinea pigs. Do you think they would have gotten any human volunteers to destroy their ears with 115db for 5 hrs?

Cruel, I say.

-Mikkel

Mar 10, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 28
I'd try the pill, but I wouldn't sit around for 115 dB for five hours. Maybe go to the occasional rock concert.

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 28
I'd take the pill but wouldn't want to sit around for a 5 hour 115db test. Instead I'd use it to safely listen to my headphones at 90-100dB!!

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 28
I wonder if any antioxidants work or just the one's mentioned in that study. I drink about 3 cups of freash carrot, beat, ginger and apple juice a day which is just f-ing loaded with antioxidants. I really couldn't say however if it helps prevent hearing damage.

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 28
There are huge ethical issues to overcome for human testing to ever happen. Even if it had ethical approval it would take at least 10 years before it gets licensed for use.

It's a pretty common drug used to counteract paracetamol poisoning, but probably would be given at a much lower dose for this purpose. Keep in mind that it specifically counteracts noise-induced hearing loss, and is not intended to be a miracle cure for other kinds of hearing loss ie caused by ageing.

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 28
normally i could care less about animal abuse (i'm from the "as long as it tastes good" camp) but this is really pretty cruel. how will those poor deaf guinea pigs survive out in the world? i just feel kind of crushed on the inside, thinking about being a guinea pig... i'm put into a cage, and then out of nowhere BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM and i'm all WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON and then after a few hours i am going crazy, looking around for the source of the noise. when it's finally gone i start to hear a different noise. that's my little rodent ears bleeding. i look around the cage for my friends and try to squeal at them for help- but alas, they're deaf too. now i'll never live a full life.

i swear to god if they don't feed them to snakes or something i'll be pissed. that's what they do with all of the dead animals on Fear Factor...

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #14 of 28
Wait, so is the drug just an antioxidant? Because those are everywhere...I'd think we would have figured that out by now. BTW these days antioxidants seem to do everything.

Mar 11, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 28
People should try this using their self for this kinda research. That's just disgusting. It's all for our self, I know, I also know many medications of today have been discovered because of the animals used for it but they'd better use humans for that since it is because of our humans. Reminds me of a short film I received today. I'll post it in here because of that...
http://www.glumbert.com/media/dolphin

This filmm ay be a little of topic but for sure my appetite went gone while watching this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back