PICTURES: Proof That Grados Are Not Ugly [56k-oh well]
May 28, 2006 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Earlier today I mentioned on Rhydon's thread that Grados were not ugly. For some reason some people keep saying that Grados are ugly. I think we have to put an end to this generalisation once and for all.

Not all Grados are ugly:
SR60 ugly? Yes.
SR80? Yes.
MS2? No.
RS1? No.
Older HP Series? No.

Plastic Grados yes they are ugly (but sound good), but I think basically all metal and wooden Grados are beautiful in my opinion. Although I am not really a fan of the golden looking new generation of MS2i/325i.

Another thing that I wanna point out is, lots of people ditch older generation of portables as uncool, unhip, outdated, get-with-the-program-grampa, etc...
But really, aesthetic wise, I'd take the combination of metal bodied portable+MS2 over Ipod+stockbud any day of the week.

People that will look good with Grados (although not me - I got slightly long hair) are: bald people, short-haired people, or people with long hair tied to all they way to the back. You'd be surprised how good chicks with Grado look.
Seriously, if you know a chick friend who likes to tie her all the way (something like Lara Craft), put your Grados to her head, and see how well they look on her.

Although IMO people with long hair won't go very well with Grados, or with "puffy" hair... or someone with Michael Bolton's curly mullet hair style (well, in that case you won't look good with anything actually)

Anyway, enough BS. Enjoy the pictures. Decide yourself whether "older" portables combined with Grados look nice or not.

MS2-1.jpg

MS2-2.jpg

fewefewew.jpg

4498913-lg.jpg

MS2-4.jpg

MS2-5.jpg

MS2-6.jpg

May 28, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 52
To me all the aluminum Grado's look the absolute best but you pay for it in comfort
eek.gif
.Now the wood takes second place in looks and in comfort.Lastly the plastic is the least best looking but still is an atractive can and has the light weight going for it.

Edit:Really like those photos.

May 28, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 52
Great pics indeed. To be honest, the look was the first thing that made me curious for Grado / Alessandro products. I like old fashioned style such as mechanical watches or cars from the 60's. Grados suit very good into that pattern with their 1940's WW2 design.

May 28, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 52
I've always secretly lusted after an NH1... I was a mini disc guy before iPods!

And why do I get this nasty suspicion that I'm gonna end up with another MS2 somehow?

May 28, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 52
Aw geez, yer breakin' my heart here.

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. Georgeous photography!

A life altering point has been reached, a major decision, months in the making; has been made.

As a short haired(at least in Florida summers)slightly balding(more all the time)gettin-with-the-program grandpa who really misses his silver ringed Accutron Astronaut and cars from the 60s(my fav was my '69 Mach 1 and Austin Healey 100-6)who was born during WW2 and finds things of wood and metal to be "real", and plastic to be "artificial", MS-2s are "ME"!!

Why, my silver colored Sony PCDP is even lookin' better this morning as well!!

(....can we make this thread a "sticky"!)

May 28, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 52
Thanks f107plus5 (damn that was annoying to type, lol)..

But I don't think this thread is important enough to be a sticky, plus I think all (or most) of the mods here got hair - nothing they can relate to...
icon10.gif

But really if you are still using your discman, I think the combination of some pretty discman (preferrably non plastic one or at least brushed metal colour) and MS2 really go well. Soundwise - with MS2, you don't even need an amp. It sounds great without amp.

Well, if you want me to pick something - the MS2 (Grado) cables are pretty thick and heavy, not so flexible unlike earbuds or some models or ATH cans.

But really with MS2 - Coolest grandpa on the block!

May 28, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 52
Very nice pictures. I like the look of all the Grados personally. They offer a nice variety in materials.

May 28, 2006 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Thanks f107plus5 (damn that was annoying to type, lol)..

But I don't think this thread is important enough to be a sticky, plus I think all (or most) of the mods here got hair - nothing they can relate to...
icon10.gif

But really if you are still using your discman, I think the combination of some pretty discman (preferrably non plastic one or at least brushed metal colour) and MS2 really go well. Soundwise - with MS2, you don't even need an amp. It sounds great without amp.

Well, if you want me to pick something - the MS2 (Grado) cables are pretty thick and heavy, not so flexible unlike earbuds or some models or ATH cans.

But really with MS2 - Coolest grandpa on the block!

Well......it's important enough to ME to make it a sticky!! Ok ,.....guess I'll make it a "Favorite" on my computer so I can get to it easily whenever I want to
smily_headphones1.gif

My old Sony is silver colored plastic, with a less than ideal SQ, but yeah, plenty loud even without an amp on my MS-1s; it does look cool though(will look even better with the MS-2)!!

My even more ancient early second generation CD/DVD player which I use as my primary "at the computer" source, is also silver colored(dang; plastic)but has a very good headphone output stage that I may able to get away with unamped with the MS-2 as well!!

I may just have to move my headphone hanger down to under the player rather than under the printer, just for "style"!!

But yeah, the Grado cables are a bit unflexable, and one thing I will miss from my MS-1 when I go to MS-2 is the smaller 1/8" plug I ordered for the MS-1, since most(well, over Half, anyway) of my rigs use the smaller jacks.

Again though: Beautiful photos; my headphone future looks a bit more stable today!!

May 28, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 52
The RS1's are truly beautiful. They are a piece of furniture as much as a headphone!

I can't see anything beating them ever. The GS1000's may sing (I'm told), but they don't have the same eloquence.

May 28, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 52
Are you kidding? Grado's are hot! The whole darth vader style of the full black ones rock, the metal ones are just sexy, and the wood ones make me sport wood. Well, not quite, but you get the idea.

May 28, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 52
Yeah guys......if the choice were entirely mine and I didn't have to take the wife and kids/grandkids into consideration, then BOTH of my favorites: Metal AND wood would be solidly in my future!!

Oh Yeah!!
smily_headphones1.gif
rs1smile.gif

May 28, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
I am of the opinion that Grados look beautiful in a retro kind of way. I hope they never change to a more moderm look (although the 'street styles' probably will).

It is kind of how I prefer the look of classic muscle cars over the modern looking ones.
wink.gif

Couldn't agree more! It's the look of the Grados that reminds me of my early days with my Dad on ham radio in the 40s and 50s with his Hallicrafters rig and bakelite-housing 'phones; pure funcionality.

.....although they were cold in the winter as I remember.

Same with new muscle cars.

Seems the new ones were designed by a collaboration between a jellybean factory, a wind tunnel, and a computer, where the older ones were designed by real people with real names, a bit of soul, and a lot of passion.

The cars were cold in the winter too.....no place to put the hot coffee!!

May 28, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #15 of 52
I just like craftsmanship.... something made by a time served expert. With a bit of idiosyncrasy, and eccentricity.

I'm a maverick at heart, and hate to conform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back