Pictures of Your Vinyl Setup!
Feb 4, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #16 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's not to "get"? Just curious what you meant.

well, that was a polite way of saying I don't get what all the fuss is about
biggrin.gif
I dunno, all these new turntables consisting of big hunks of acrylic just sound a bit lifeless to me. I say lose the acrylic, shrink the plinth, and the heavier the platter the better
biggrin.gif
hm, I wonder why I own a Nottingham table?
biggrin.gif

Also, since finding head-fi, I've been more interested in listening to the XR-10 in my setup.. what a cool piece of gear... do you feel like it's worth the asking price (around $5000 if I remember correctly)?

Feb 4, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #17 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, that was a polite way of saying I don't get what all the fuss is about
biggrin.gif
I dunno, all these new turntables consisting of big hunks of acrylic just sound a bit lifeless to me. I say lose the acrylic, shrink the plinth, and the heavier the platter the better
biggrin.gif
hm, I wonder why I own a Nottingham table?
biggrin.gif

Also, since finding head-fi, I've been more interested in listening to the XR-10 in my setup.. what a cool piece of gear... do you feel like it's worth the asking price (around $5000 if I remember correctly)?

i'd be interested in how many of these tables you've actually listened to. you're challenging harry weisfeld, the owner and designer at vpi. harry knows his stuff, and lot's of folks, including myself, are extremely happy with his stuff. my scoutmaster sounds anything but lifeless. if you've actually heard one that has, i'd suggest that poor setup was the issue. cause if you have it right, they sound as full as life as anything i've heard. and i've been listening to music for 40+ years.

Feb 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #18 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by sberger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can see my phono pre(the little silver box on the edge of the 3rd row. It's a Vacuum Stage JLTi. In addition to it's great, small footprint, it makes beautiful music.

That JLTI phobo pre is a real giant killer I have one and it stopped by search for a phono pre dead in its tracks.

Feb 4, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #19 of 183
Quote:

you can see my phono pre(the little silver box on the edge of the 3rd row. It's a Vacuum Stage JLTi. In addition to it's great, small footprint, it makes beautiful music.

That JLTI phono pre is a real giant killer I have one and it stopped by search for a phono pre dead in its tracks.

Feb 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #20 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That JLTI phono pre is a real giant killer I have one and it stopped by search for a phono pre dead in its tracks.

yep, really terrific. and so few folks even know about it. if it was distributed on the level of, say the ear 834p, i think you would read about constantly. but because only 1 dealer in the states carries it so far, only a relatively few own it. luckily, i'm one of them.

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #23 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by OGTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, costed me all of $4, but it's better than nothing.

Most definitely! Some vinyl is better than no vinyl
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #24 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most definitely! Some vinyl is better than no vinyl
biggrin.gif

Absolutely right! And BTW, what about your setup Mr. Zanth? Is it back in service? If so, where are the picks?
580smile.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #25 of 183
Quote:

i'd be interested in how many of these tables you've actually listened to. you're challenging harry weisfeld, the owner and designer at vpi. harry knows his stuff, and lot's of folks, including myself, are extremely happy with his stuff. my scoutmaster sounds anything but lifeless. if you've actually heard one that has, i'd suggest that poor setup was the issue. cause if you have it right, they sound as full as life as anything i've heard. and i've been listening to music for 40+ years.

well, I've listened to most of his tables. I didn't mean to step on a nerve
plainface.gif
I'm a musician myself and I've just never felt like they capture the whole picture. Just my point of view... anyways, I'm really happy with the way *my* setup sounds and that's what matters, right? After a dozen or so tables, I just really like the NAS sound, that's all! This isn't a Tom Fletcher versus Harry Weisfeld discussion, they're both smart guys and have made a living building great tables...

I hope you enjoy your VPI!

Feb 5, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #26 of 183
Quote:

Absolutely right! And BTW, what about your setup Mr. Zanth? Is it back in service? If so, where are the picks?
580smile.gif

I'll take some tonight. My phono stage is still dead : Although I'm praying that this Wednesday I finally will get paid!!!! Yippee! If one can believe it...this cheque will be the first of a series of payments I'm owed from 2003! If I do get this cheque, Parts Connexion gets my phono sent to them overnight, I'll see my fixed up unit by the following Monday.

That said, a fellow Head-fier, Beagle was so very generous and he lent me two phono stages to use. I have his Grado PH-1 in my system right now and I'll have that in the pics along with my Ear 834p which it is resting on and the rest of my system in its rather messy spread out fashion.

Feb 5, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #28 of 183
gi.mpl

AR/Merrill and a Linn Sondek LP12.

gi.mpl

AR ES-1 w/Merrill subchassis, bearing, motor, power supply, springs, acrylic outer platter, lead mat, center weight/clamp, periphery weight/clamp; motor damped with heat shrink; Merrill-Scillia Research polymer pulley; inside of base and plinth fully damped with Audiomat & #8 lead flashing; underside of inner platter damped with lead; lead sheet between acrylic armboard & subchassis; filtered IEC; Merrill black oil for main bearing; 3 Aurios MIB isolation bearings for feet; internally damped VPI SDS; Morch UP-4; Shelter 501 Mk.II; Wright Sound WMT100 step-up transformer re-terminated with Eichmann copper bullet RCAs & WPP200C phono stage w/NOS Mullard 12AX7s, RCA clear top 12au7s, and Asylum Cable PC

gi.mpl

Linn Sondek LP12 w/Cirkus, Herbie's Way Excellent mat; Merrill black oil for main bearing; Origin Live Advanced DC Motor and controller, internally damped with Mortite; bottom plate removed, 3M Bumpon feet installed, sitting on lightweight, rigid cardboard shelf; Ittok arm w/Benz Glider H2; DIY unsheilded fine silver tonearm wiring (32ga 99.999 fine silver 3-strand braid per channel in Teflon spaghetti tube, into Eichmann bullet plugs); AI M3a phono stage

gi.mpl

---
System specs
System gallery

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #29 of 183
Quote:

It seems a little boring compared to Capt. Tweaks' Linn and the beautiful and highly decorated Garrard, but here are some pics of my setup. I have the VPI Aries 3 with single motor/flywheel, SDS speed controller, and HRX periphery ring and center weight. The arm is the VPI 10.5i with a lovely Lyra Skala cartridge. That is connected by Crystal Cable RCAs to the Ray Samuels Audio XR10-B phono stage.

Voltron:

Have you compared the XR10-B with any other high-end solid state phono stages, like Klyne, ASR, Whest, Ayre, Pass Labs Xono, 47 Labs, Graham slee, Sutherland, Zyx Artisan, etc. ? Just curious ... I'd love to hear it next to my Whest, but you're the first person I've ran across that has one!

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #30 of 183
I realize this thread is a little old but I wanted to carry it on. I hope others will post pictures of their vinyl rigs no matter the cost spent to put it together.

Here's my very basic setup:

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

Please try to keep this thread going!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back