Pictures of Your Vinyl Setup!
Jun 24, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #106 of 183
Nothing terribly exciting, but it works for me.

DSC_0006-14.jpg

DSC_0011-8.jpg

DSC_0005-13.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0013-7.jpg

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #109 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be pretty excited if I had that
smily_headphones1.gif

My thoughts exactly!

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #110 of 183
You mean besides the one in my avatar?

Here are a couple. One is mono with a triple play GE VRII, the other is stereo.

My main deck is a Scout but no one needs to see another picture of that one.

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #112 of 183
vpi.jpg
Happy for now

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #113 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the kind words guys, it is becoming a hobby of mine. I am now working on an old Quad 33/303 combination. It is a GL59.

Thats beautiful work Mark. How are you getting the new finishes on there? did you electroplate the quads? how was the Lenco top plate done?

Os that a Naim Aro on there? what's the cart?

I have a Lenco in original order with an upgraded Linn arm but I havn't got around to doing anything to the plinth. Even in this state it's a very impressive sounding deck but your's looks simply stunning.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #114 of 183
Marantz TT-15S1 with Clearaudio Satisfy Aluminum tonearm.

wmaxcomponents_1.jpg

Close-ups of the superb Clearaudio tonearm:
satisfy_1.jpg

The multiple Yamaha professional amps are due to this being a fully active speaker system with a digital crossover system(DSP xover seen sitting on top of the amp stack).

Phono pre-amp(not visible; it's under the turntable) is a Music Hall MMF Phono Pack(I have the more obscure version - not the popular black box version with rotary selectors externally - all adjustments are internal on this more obscure version). Very good price and superb performance (I measured/verified it's performance). About +/- 0.2dB maximum RIAA error from 20hz-20,000Hz, 97dB dynamic range, -112 SNR, 0.02% THD with only early harmonics; as you pass the 4th/5th, harmonics disappear into the noise floor - demonstrating a superb distortion profile. I was going to later purchase a nice Clearaudio pre-amp, but the MMF works so well that it sound realistic on good quality LPs and has low noise - so I figure it pointless to replace it at this point.

I use a Yamaha RX-V2600 as a stereo pre-amp. It measures superbly - has multiple inputs - nice clear digital display, handsome thick aluminum front with minimal clutter and a remote -- so why not?
smily_headphones1.gif

I am a function over form guy. I used to use all so-called high-end hardware, but I found I could get better true function and performance from digital crossovers, high power pro amps, etc.. There used to be a stack of McIntosh amps on that table along with an Adcom 750 pre-amp, etc. The only sort of maybe 'high-end' item left now is the turn table - and that's because due to the purely mechanical nature of turn tables, you tend to have to pay a bit for a superbly performing table and arm unless you are willing to do extensive modification to a more inexpensive system.

-Chris

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #116 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love that Marantz turntable!
It is nice to know that they are back in the turntable business.
Is that a Clearaudio clamp?

It is a 'Marantz', but they did have Clearaudio build it for them. It is a really superbly engineered table/arm system. I consider it a superb value at it's selling price.

The weight/clamp is a generic one sold by a machinist on eBay. I did spend about an hour polishing it to a mirror like finish. It has fine lathe lines on it when got it, so I used 1000 grit wet sanding, 2000 grit wet sanding, then used abrasive metal finishing polish to get the perfect final finish.

This is much 'cheaper' than buying a name brand similar product. The savings were well worth the effort to polish out.

brenclamp.jpg

-Chris

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #118 of 183
Is the Marantz a rebadged Emotion?

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #119 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Marantz a rebadged Emotion?

No. The Marantz has a different/thicker base, a much thicker platter, different feet, etc. The common parts are the motor (a very high quality, highly pitch stable unit) and the series of arm; however the Satisfy arm is a very high grade arm and is used on $5000 Clearaudio tables as well. The Marantz is a significant upgrade to the Emotion in so far as the chassis/platter. BTW, if you noticed, the Marantz does not use the Satisfy arm mount, instead, the chassis was designed to accept it directly. However, the arm mount is included in the package so that you can mount the arm on other tables if you so desire. This is only makes sense, as the arm costs $1200 by itself - so it's good that they included this part IMO.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back