Pictures of your portable rig part VIII
Aug 28, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #841 of 1,186
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's still fully stock, haven't modified it a bit.

It is a bit too long for my liking, I'm now wishing I went for something shorter like an ALO dock, but I got mine when microshar reduced them to $35 from $99, so it was a no brainer!

Strange... the mini connector they used on mine is different: gold-plated plug of some brand. Yours looks like Neutrik (gold-plated?).

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #842 of 1,186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange... the mini connector they used on mine is different: gold-plated plug of some brand. Yours looks like Neutrik (gold-plated?).

nope silver plated :S

im on the lookout for a cheap 2nd hand ALO dock now

argh curse headfi my wallet is emptied!

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #843 of 1,186
My start-up portable rig (I hope this stays as it is, i.e. no more expensive upgrades).

I actually planned the rig to have an overall black presentation but things went wrong, starting with me getting sent a translucent iPod case (instead of the black one I wanted). Next, the arrival of the ER-6i (white) is going to screw up the colour some more.
evil_smiley.gif

p.s. FeedMeTrance, you can see from the pics the shortened Microshar LOD cable.

DSCN1459.JPG

DSCN1460.JPG

DSCN1461.JPG

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #846 of 1,186
Quote:

My start-up portable rig (I hope this stays as it is, i.e. no more expensive upgrades).

I actually planned the rig to have an overall black presentation but things went wrong, starting with me getting sent a translucent iPod case (instead of the black one I wanted). Next, the arrival of the ER-6i (white) is going to screw up the colour some more.
evil_smiley.gif

p.s. FeedMeTrance, you can see from the pics the shortened Microshar LOD cable.

nice, i'd like mine that short, its a pain being long (btw did you get yours when they had their sale?) - i hate to think anyone would pay $100 for it, its not worth that much IMO.

as for the iMod, that would be so sweet, but expensive, and i'd hate to think what that would do to my iPod's Apple Care warranty!

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #848 of 1,186
Quote:

Yup! Got it off their sale price too.
wink.gif
I agree it shouldn't cost that much (retail price). I would have made one myself but I'm rather phobic to soldering small-sized components such as this (too much of a b*tch to handle with my big fingers and iron).

how do u find the microshar amp? i heard it has a lot of 'hiss' noises :S

i need to buy somethign off ebay using paypal so i can see the paypal vault, but i dunnow what to get lol!

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #849 of 1,186
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do u find the microshar amp? i heard it has a lot of 'hiss' noises :S

i need to buy somethign off ebay using paypal so i can see the paypal vault, but i dunnow what to get lol!

It's a great little amp, more portable than the Corda Move. Its long battery life & rechargeability are big bonuses. The start-up pop is annoyingly loud but I have managed to avoid that by not unplugging anything off it. The volume gain, while not a problem with any of my bigger phones, is a bit high with my earbuds indeed so I have to be careful with the volume pod lest I blow out my ear drums. On the hiss, I did not detect it with any of my cans, incl. the MS-2, except with the earbuds I'm using above. It is not significant though and once you start your music (even at low volume), the hiss can no longer be heard.

All in all, a nice little amp that makes the iPod sound so much wonderful than its own (woeful) headphone out.

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #850 of 1,186
PortableRig-F.jpg

PortableRig-B.jpg

Looking for a case/pouch to hold them. Any suggestions?

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #853 of 1,186
My new RSA Tomahawk portable setup - pics inside...

So,

I put together my first portable headphone amp kit, with a small Samsonite olive drab magnetic flap cell phone case (carbiner clip and belt clip). Case was under $10 at Walmart. I can shake the case and the Tomahawk wont push the magnetic flap open or fall out.

The iPod case clips to the side of the Samsonite phone case. I think the ipod case is a griffin 3-way leather case with magnetic flap/and button snap. This case was under $20 (either radioshack or compusa, I forget). I also have a clear acrylic case that clips to the Samsonite well, but the ipod could slide out of that case with a hard jolt (i.e. short drop and sudden stop).

The interconnect cable runs along the back of the cases, almost between them, using a zip tie to hold the rolled up cable out of the way. Then my E4c pass out of the Samsonite case and head up to my ears.

It's pretty compact, and easy to access the iPod or Tomahawk controls without dropping anything on the ground. I just clip the carabiner to a belt loop, or a safari bag over my shoulder.

I can't stand the volume louder than having both the iPod and RSA turned up to 75% each, and I don't know how many hours are on the amp's batteries. This is with either my 8gb 2nd gen or 2gb 1st gen iPod with sound check off/eq flat. I haven't tried my 5.5 gen 80gb yet.

The sound is clearly better than iPod alone, and still clearly better than my old radioshack headphone amp, which I thought was an improvement over bare ipod until I got to try something better today.

I have a dock connector line out on the way, but it will require moving to my crystal ipod case, still being clipped to the amp case, since the leather flap covers both ends of the ipod right now.

tomahawk ipod package.jpg

tomahawk ipod open.jpg

tomahawk inside case.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back