Pictures of Your *Mid-Fi* Portable Rig ($200 - $600)
Jul 4, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #572 of 1,119
Sorry, I meant "does anyone know if itunes can record vinyl?" I already have the equipment :). I know it can play back 96/24 files, which is what I plan to use... 

You have OS 7.2 or OS 8 and it will play 24 bit / 96 kHz files? I heard this was going to happen in Sept with OS8?

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #574 of 1,119

VLC Playing FLAC with Apple iPod Touch Generation Five
Mini Plug to RCA to RCA to mini plug (don't ask)
JDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifier
AKG K512 MK 2 Headphones

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #575 of 1,119

VLC Playing FLAC with Apple iPod Touch Generation Five
Mini Plug to RCA to RCA to mini plug (don't ask)
JDS Labs c421 Headphone Amplifier
AKG K512 MK 2 Headphones

Do you hear any static noise with your 5th generation iPod running FLAC with VLC? I tried with my 4G touch and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, only after listening for a 5-10 minutes I would hear a light fuzz of static hovering over the music, especially in busy passages. I was so close to buying a 32G model and FlACing it up though that problem let me down.

Apart from that VLC app is the best thing that happened to iPods since......4 Eva. imo

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #576 of 1,119

Do you hear any static noise with your 5th generation iPod running FLAC with VLC? I tried with my 4G touch and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, only after listening for a 5-10 minutes I would hear a light fuzz of static hovering over the music, especially in busy passages. I was so close to buying a 32G model and FlACing it up though that problem let me down.

Apart from that VLC app is the best thing that happened to iPods since......4 Eva. imo

VLC is the best thing but it is imperative that your player is upgraded to iOS 7 or higher. If you don't have a iPod that will run iOS 7 your out of luck. There may be some old issues of VLC floating around that someone could find and install but Apple Store only has the latest version that only runs on iOS7. 
Well just iTunes with the AKG k512s can be a little treble intensive. Even with ear-pods treble intensive. VLC has had a reputation of not being available then became available again and is not currently listed at the store as an audio device. So sadly a lot of folks are going to pass over the program because it says it's for movies and pictures.

VLC bypasses iOS EQ and actually takes care of the treble issues all together. VLC has no modifiable EQ as I understand it.

There is a momentary drop out every-time you are done with the interface but that only last 1/10th second. Does not bother me. Some time there are file organization issues, but they are slight and I have not had problems dealing with them.

I have FLAC files that are DJ mixs that run for 4 hours and 45 minutes. One song 4 hours 45 minutes. VLC plays perfect. But a word of warning, I tried installation into a iPhone 3 and it would not recognize the files after they were installed. This results is the inability to take the files back out. No reset possible because the phone is unlocked.

Put VLC in an iPhone 4, works fantastic. My Ipod Touch 5 is only 16 gig. The best part is you can play 24 bit 96kHz HD music files too. Even though your internal DAC maxes out at the 24 bit 48 kHz it still sounds killer. Best part is it is freeeeeee.   

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #577 of 1,119

Well just iTunes with the AKG k512s can be a little treble intensive. Even with ear-pods treble intensive. VLC has had a reputation of not being available then became available again and is not currently listed at the store as an audio device. So sadly a lot of folks are going to pass over the program because it says it's for movies and pictures.

I have FLAC files that are DJ mixs that run for 4 hours and 45 minutes. One song 4 hours 45 minutes. VLC plays perfect. But a word of warning, I tried installation into a iPhone 3 and it would not recognize the files after they were installed. This results is the inability to take the files back out. No reset possible because the phone is unlocked.

Put VLC in an iPhone 4, works fantastic. My Ipod Touch 5 is only 16 gig. The best part is you can play 24 bit 96kHz HD music files too. Even though your internal DAC maxes out at the 24 bit 48 kHz it still sounds killer. Best part is it is freeeeeee.   

With the files that went missing on the iPhone 3 were they deleted if you uninstalled the app?

I have the 5G touch as well (16gb) (and 4G 8gb touch) though was going to buy a 32gb 4G so I could utilise the old line out dock. Still, even from headphone out running FLAC with VLC I was really happy with the results. I spent about $10 trying other FLAC player apps and none of them worked as well as VLC, especially in regards to file sorting.

Some would let me add separate files, others would allow full folders via WIFI then not play the files in order. It became a bit of a nightmare in the end so I just gave up on it. Was just that one damn static noise with 4G touch and VLC.

Like you said when it works - it's great though there's too many loose ends still unfortunately which is a damn shame because having owned a few sources the iPod 4G headphone out with FLAC and VLC sounded really nice. 

(Yes yes everyone, I could use ALAC, I know)

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #578 of 1,119

With the files that went missing on the iPhone 3 were they deleted if you uninstalled the app?

I have the 5G touch as well (16gb) (and 4G 8gb touch) though was going to buy a 32gb 4G so I could utilise the old line out dock. Still, even from headphone out running FLAC with VLC I was really happy with the results. I spent about $10 trying other FLAC player apps and none of them worked as well as VLC, especially in regards to file sorting.

Some would let me add separate files, others would allow full folders via WIFI then not play the files in order. It became a bit of a nightmare in the end so I just gave up on it. it was just that one damn static noise with 4G touch and VLC.

Like you said when it works - it's great though there's too many loose ends still unfortunately which is a damn shame because having owned a few sources the iPod 4G headphone out with FLAC and VLC sounded really nice. 

(Yes yes everyone, I could use ALAC, I know)

I love ALAC too and use it from time to time. But with my c421 the VLC sounds better. The EQ is better to me. No, I have no problems using VLC at all. It is the perfect player. No slight noise, perfect. I have used it everyday for over a month. I even plug mini plug into an Asgard from the Touch. If there was even the hint of noise I would hear it. Love it!

My warning is don't try to instal it in a phone or iPod that is not running iOS 7 or higher, unless you have no problems doing a complete reset. You lock your unlocked phone if you do a complete reset. In my country old iPhones need to be unlocked to work, but new model Iphone 4 and above can be unlocked via Apple. When they are unlocked from Apple you can always do a complete reset.

To answer your question Itunes will not recognize VLC in the iPhone 3. You cant uninstall a set of files regarding a program if itunes will not recognize the program in the first place. I don't care as I have lots and lots of phones and iPods. I was just trying it one day when I was board. The only thing left to try is to try to upgrade the iOS to iOS 7. I don't even know if that is possible. I can always pay and have it unlocked again, but I just use other phones.

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #579 of 1,119
  I love ALAC too and use it from time to time. But with my c421 the VLC sounds better. The EQ is better to me. No, I have no problems using VLC at all. It is the perfect player. No slight noise, perfect. I have used it everyday for over a month. I even plug mini plug into an Asgard from the Touch. If there was even the hint of noise I would hear it. Love it!

My warning is don't try to instal it in a phone or iPod that is not running iOS 7 or higher, unless you have not problems doing a complete reset. You lock your unlocked phone if you do a complete reset.

To answer your question Itunes will not recognize VLC in the iPhone 3. You cant uninstall a set of files regarding a program if itunes will not recognize the program in the first place. I don't care as I have lots and lots of phones and iPods. I was just trying it one day when I was board. The only thing left to try is to try to upgrade the iOS to iOS 7. I don't even know if that is possible.  

Well, I have left VLC installed on the iPod touch 4G in hope there is an update one day. I will keep an eye on it. Plus it is good for playing AVI movies no fuss.
Have fun friend! Enjoy the beauty of FLAC on your 5g touch! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #582 of 1,119
Man I love those knob protection bars on those Sony's, reminds me of the old Pioneer JA rack mount handles from back in the late 70's
cool.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #583 of 1,119
"Mini Plug to RCA to RCA to mini plug (don't ask)"

Sorry Redcar, like Sheriff Bart to the Cisco Kid and Vice Versa....................."I must, I must"
wink_face.gif

I was thinking I better go out and get me a couple of those RCA to mini adapters before they become all the rage! I thought they were going to be all gold plated and Cryoed
blink.gif
 and once again I would be behind the 8 ball for yet another top quality SQ find
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #584 of 1,119
"Mini Plug to RCA to RCA to mini plug (don't ask)"

Sorry Redcar, like Sheriff Bart to the Cisco Kid and Vice Versa....................."I must, I must":wink_face:

I was thinking I better go out and get me a couple of those RCA to mini adapters before they become all the rage! I thought they were going to be all gold plated and Cryoed:blink:  and once again I would be behind the 8 ball for yet another top quality SQ find:tongue_smile:

Based on the theory of space-time. Told you not to ask.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w_qXhoI1o8I

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #585 of 1,119
LOL, loved that clip. I just chalk mine up to another "Senior Moment"
blink.gif
 I thought the Red, Green and White was very festive in that otherwise all black rig
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back