Pictorial Review: Bose On-Ear
Dec 26, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #121 of 142
Quote:

In the late 80s, Bose scientists discovered . . . .

Oh, stop now. You're making me laugh so hard the rootbeer is shooting out my nostrils. Does a degree and a paystub from Bose make you a "Bose scientist." Bose scientologist, maybe.

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #122 of 142
For
smile.gif
[size=small]Bose Corporation[/size]
smile.gif
Internal Veiwing Only.

[size=xx-small]After memorizing Company DNA formula, you must destroy immediately and never recite to anybody except fellow employees.[/size]

[size=small]
smile.gif
Bose Corporation
smile.gif
[/size]
= Bose Scientist [yes you are all scientists]
= marketing excellence
> product development - super-cost efficient / cost Cutting-Edge designs
< beautifully formulated showrooms!
> Good-Mediocre products
< Company "doctorate" Certification for ALL employees
= Employees to believe/praise Bose products NO Matter how they sound or what they think/what they are told by customers
= Share how GREAT Bose products are to everyone including family and friends and FORUMS [don't state you work for us!!! Or you'll be fined and suspended!]
= Highest possible yearly profits
= THE BOTTOM LINE Focus
= Yeilds your salary
= Bonuses for yourself and especially for the Top Executives

smile.gif
[size=small]Bose Corporation[/size]
smile.gif

[size=xx-small]Better Sound Through Research=Better Profits Through Marketing [remember, don't tell anyone][/size]
[size=xx-small]You do better, We do better[/size]
[size=xx-small]PINK IS OUR [size=x-small]REAL[/size] CORPORATE COLOR!
tongue.gif
[/size]

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #123 of 142
hope everyone had a good 25th!! So its back to bashing then? Good that's what i like to see, a load of ignorant comments. i'm off to buy a pair of DT990 pro's if anyones interested.

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #124 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hope everyone had a good 25th!! So its back to bashing then? Good that's what i like to see, a load of ignorant comments. i'm off to buy a pair of DT990 pro's if anyones interested.

Sure- if you find pointing out the truths ignorant.

I personally find most Bose comments (dub what u call bashing) is quiteacurate and profound. Name one company besides Sony that does the above (mission) MORE than Bose. At least Sony charges more accordingly.

Anyways hope you r happy with your next-current purchase
smily_headphones1.gif
happy holidays! _________L

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #125 of 142
Quote:

You're free to enlighten us on any point you think to be "ignorant." Drive-by generalizations, on the other hand, speak for themselves.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #126 of 142
I bought a pair of Triport OE's a few years back and I remember getting a kick out of the fact that my girlfriend put the bose OE's on and loved them, she said, "its like the headphones are having sex with my ears".

Then, I said, "Really? try these" and let her try on a pair of AKG K702s. She was kind of like "hmmm, there ok, but I like the bose" Whah? lol

Interested by this, I went and got out my Grado 225's and she liked them but preferred to bose comfort.

The moral to this story is that the price tag may just well be worth it to the average consumer. An audiophile is a dramatic minority in the headphone market. And the Majority love that boom boom boom, sloppy though it may be. The other thing I notice is that when I let someone listen to my nicer sets of headphones, they like listen to it for a little bit, maybe a couple of songs, maybe just a few minutes, then they give them back and say, "Thats nice" or something.

A great example is the experience I recently had in Best Buy. I was looking around and I asked an employee in the stereo area if they had any docking connectors or an LOD for iPod. He had no idea what I was talking about. I pulled out my rig and showed him and he marvelled at it, "No, we don't carry them, I didn't even know they made that".

Have previously been the home and car audio industry for many years, I am not suprised by this, but it does seem like so many posters on this site don't realize how rare people like us are, even in the audio sales industry. Another example would be the time I walked into a high end audio store (well, Mcintosh and Magnapan high end, but still) and they knew about this stuff but didn't care. I showed em my Grados and they looked unimpressed and told me they preferred the Klipsh Image X10's for the sole reason to have headphones with lots of bass during workouts. You could tell they didn't care about audiophile level performance. I wondered how they sold the equipment they sold, probably just to rich people who want something that looks fancy and costs a lot.

My overly verbose point being, Bose aren't hifi headphones, nor audiophile headphones, but they are top of the line average consumer headphones. And they make a damn good gateway drug to real hi end...well maybe not with my girlfriend.

I do think, with a nice touch up on the equalization you can counterbalance the bass a bit and get some really great treble out of the Triports. But the midrange just sucks in my opinion.

You do have to give it up for there amazing marketing of their product, though. Holy cow, every mall has a Boss store. If only the same were true for Grado, Senn, Beyer...so on.

Dec 27, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #127 of 142
Quote:

DT990's? Nah, but you might want to pick up some milk while you're out.

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #128 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're free to enlighten us on any point you think to be "ignorant." Drive-by generalizations, on the other hand, speak for themselves.

I'm not the one moaning every time the "B" word is mentioned. I'm not the one screaming and moaning about marketing making people look like they're totally idiotic and powerless against a few badly worded marketing blurbs. How people can protect themselves from the clever marketing slogan of "Better sound through research" and facing the torment of the odd advert in the Sunday supplements I do not know. And unlike most Bose bashers I've actually tried them believe it or not. Happy New Year to everyone.

Quote:

DT990's? Nah, but you might want to pick up some milk while you're out.

BTW, where's this legendary Beyer bass that I hear so much about.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #129 of 142
I actually tried some of the Bose noise canceling headphones in best buy today. The noise canceling was the only good thing about it. I have to say though, bose knows how to advertise. They have a speaker with white noise to show how good the noise canceling is. And, they have a screen telling you what to notice in the sample songs they play. For example, "Notice the strong, well defined bass in this song", and "Notice how the singer sounds like she is right in front of you." Of course, the bass is not well defined, but overpowering. But, really it is a very smart idea for them because people will think they hear it anyway.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #130 of 142
Quote:

Originally Posted by janchadley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a pair of Triport OE's a few years back and I remember getting a kick out of the fact that my girlfriend put the bose OE's on and loved them, she said, "its like the headphones are having sex with my ears".

Then, I said, "Really? try these" and let her try on a pair of AKG K702s. She was kind of like "hmmm, there ok, but I like the bose" Whah? lol

Interested by this, I went and got out my Grado 225's and she liked them but preferred to bose comfort.

The moral to this story is that the price tag may just well be worth it to the average consumer. An audiophile is a dramatic minority in the headphone market. And the Majority love that boom boom boom, sloppy though it may be. The other thing I notice is that when I let someone listen to my nicer sets of headphones, they like listen to it for a little bit, maybe a couple of songs, maybe just a few minutes, then they give them back and say, "Thats nice" or something.

A great example is the experience I recently had in Best Buy. I was looking around and I asked an employee in the stereo area if they had any docking connectors or an LOD for iPod. He had no idea what I was talking about. I pulled out my rig and showed him and he marvelled at it, "No, we don't carry them, I didn't even know they made that".

Have previously been the home and car audio industry for many years, I am not suprised by this, but it does seem like so many posters on this site don't realize how rare people like us are, even in the audio sales industry. Another example would be the time I walked into a high end audio store (well, Mcintosh and Magnapan high end, but still) and they knew about this stuff but didn't care. I showed em my Grados and they looked unimpressed and told me they preferred the Klipsh Image X10's for the sole reason to have headphones with lots of bass during workouts. You could tell they didn't care about audiophile level performance. I wondered how they sold the equipment they sold, probably just to rich people who want something that looks fancy and costs a lot.

My overly verbose point being, Bose aren't hifi headphones, nor audiophile headphones, but they are top of the line average consumer headphones. And they make a damn good gateway drug to real hi end...well maybe not with my girlfriend.

I do think, with a nice touch up on the equalization you can counterbalance the bass a bit and get some really great treble out of the Triports. But the midrange just sucks in my opinion.

You do have to give it up for there amazing marketing of their product, though. Holy cow, every mall has a Boss store. If only the same were true for Grado, Senn, Beyer...so on.

Yep, everything you said is 100% true. If I let people listen they just say "yeah that sounds good" and hand them back. I brought my headphones to the office and asked various teachers and students if they wanted to listen. Most people actually gave me a look of disgust and physically backed away.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #131 of 142
Quote:

I'm not the one moaning every time the "B" word is mentioned. I'm not the one screaming and moaning about marketing making people look like they're totally idiotic and powerless against a few badly worded marketing blurbs. How people can protect themselves from the clever marketing slogan of "Better sound through research" and facing the torment of the odd advert in the Sunday supplements I do not know. And unlike most Bose bashers I've actually tried them believe it or not. Happy New Year to everyone. BTW, where's this legendary Beyer bass that I hear so much about.

Well, I've been to the Bose store, taken the tour of the $3,000 system, listened to the wave radios and the wave cd players, listened to the OEs/AEs/QC3s and QC15s, played with the sound-cancellation in-flight simulator and listened to the songs on the Bose CD.

I've heard them.

I think their noise-cancellation technology is impressive.

I think their wave radios sound better than clock radios.

I think their version of a subwoofer is noteworthy inasmuch as it doesn't contain a single woofer, let alone subwoofer.

I think their $180 OEs are better than their AEs and that the build quality issue is overblown given that most headphones make poor frisbees.

I think the anti-Bose sentiment has less to do with awful sound than with resentment that most people think Bose is the best, something headfiers generally consider an honor won through marketing rather than merit. There's also that jealousy that comes from having a thousand-dollar pair of headphones and not getting noticed like the guy who spent two hundred bucks on a Bose.

Nobody wants to admit it, but it's basic human nature.

I'm sorry my flippant comments, entered with tongue firmly planted in cheek, came off as more taunts and teasings of the Bose guy. If I had a choice between Bose and nothing, I'd pick Bose. If I had a choice between Bose and the bottom rung of the bottom rung, I'd pick Bose. On the other hand, if I had to choose between Bose and Grado, I'd pick Grado.

I'm sorry I got my doctorate and then spent my mid-forties acting like I'd gone back to middle school. I should have known better.

Honestly, I hope you got halfway down the road, muttered, "They're not worth it," and had a better night. I also hope the new phones were magical.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #133 of 142
Quote:

I'm not the one moaning every time the "B" word is mentioned. I'm not the one screaming and moaning about marketing making people look like they're totally idiotic and powerless against a few badly worded marketing blurbs. How people can protect themselves from the clever marketing slogan of "Better sound through research" and facing the torment of the odd advert in the Sunday supplements I do not know. And unlike most Bose bashers I've actually tried them believe it or not. Happy New Year to everyone.

BTW, where's this legendary Beyer bass that I hear so much about.

>>>>>>>>>>I'm not sold.

Let's consider myself a "bose-Basher" --- and I've tried numerous Bose products.
I've owned 3 cars with bose systems [02.Audi.A4,04.Audi.S4,07.Infiniti.G35s], Bose MusicMonitor [had for 2.5weeks before I returned them for $559cad], watched the Bose Demo a number of times + sitting thru numerous movies at friend's place with Acoustimass15 with Yamaha Amp... Listened to their OE,AE,QC15,Companion2,3,5 for few mins at a time... ... and while these products were NOT bad --- they were not great. Definitely sad underperformers when you compare each product to a equal or lesser $$ competitors.

So on the contrary, I believe most other "Bose Bashers" have even more experience than I with their products ["Bashers", Please tune in and attest to my belief - that you have indeed tried/owned Bose products]. After all, why bash Bose -just to jump on the bandwagon to Loook Coool, to Sound Cool?- on a forum??

My "bash passion" all started when I listened to my friend's HK-logic7 system - then compared to my Bose-Infiniti Studio on Wheels system... and was amazed at all the SQ-sound depth/clarity/stage I was lacking --- and MIssing!---for years!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... then doing some quick research... and all the answers are all there - in numerous forums.

Anyways - we are beating a dead horse. But I do feel it is sometimes neccessary... afterall, these forums are for communicating - freely -- as it is our constitutional right.

Peace
beerchug.gif

__________L

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #134 of 142
Quote:

Well, I've been to the Bose store, taken the tour of the $3,000 system, listened to the wave radios and the wave cd players, listened to the OEs/AEs/QC3s and QC15s, played with the sound-cancellation in-flight simulator and listened to the songs on the Bose CD.

I've heard them.

I think their noise-cancellation technology is impressive.

I think their wave radios sound better than clock radios.

I think their version of a subwoofer is noteworthy inasmuch as it doesn't contain a single woofer, let alone subwoofer.

I think their $180 OEs are better than their AEs and that the build quality issue is overblown given that most headphones make poor frisbees.

I think the anti-Bose sentiment has less to do with awful sound than with resentment that most people think Bose is the best, something headfiers generally consider an honor won through marketing rather than merit. There's also that jealousy that comes from having a thousand-dollar pair of headphones and not getting noticed like the guy who spent two hundred bucks on a Bose.

Nobody wants to admit it, but it's basic human nature.

I'm sorry my flippant comments, entered with tongue firmly planted in cheek, came off as more taunts and teasings of the Bose guy. If I had a choice between Bose and nothing, I'd pick Bose. If I had a choice between Bose and the bottom rung of the bottom rung, I'd pick Bose. On the other hand, if I had to choose between Bose and Grado, I'd pick Grado.

I'm sorry I got my doctorate and then spent my mid-forties acting like I'd gone back to middle school. I should have known better.

Honestly, I hope you got halfway down the road, muttered, "They're not worth it," and had a better night. I also hope the new phones were magical.

if I'm honest, I enjoyed the AE's bar the dreadful build quality.

I like my OE's, good fun but I understand their short comings.

The Bose wave radio I heard in a shop at Blackpool and I was impressed with the amount of sound that came out of it. At first i thought is was a fullrange system until i saw it.

Noise cancelling, hands up i've never tried them but i don't do noise cancelling. my HD25-1's are does noise cancelling perfectly well.

Quote:

On the other hand, if I had to choose between Bose and Grado, I'd pick Grado.

100%, although my Grado SR60's don't fit in my pocket as well as the OE's which are tiny. sure the ear cups on the Grado's swivel, but that doesn't make them very compact.

having trouble resizing the image, but here's the link.

http://fakeheadphones.com/wp-content...or-head-fi.jpg

Oh sorry, my uncle has a sounddock portable as well. but i prefer my velocity 2go. doesn't have the same functions as a proper ipod dock, but it kicks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUCIDD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So on the contrary, I believe most other "Bose Bashers" have even more experience than I with their products

I couldn't disagree with you more. Obviously you have experience, however ask for anyone who have taken Bose beyond a quick test in the store or ask for any pictorial evidence and feel the silence.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #135 of 142
I got this from a reviewer who writes for a major audio magazine. BOSE Corporation, out of Framingham, Massachusetts, has lots of money to spend on advertising. You see their products being advertised everywhere. They market to the non-audiophile, largely talking about how conveniently that a listener can get "room filling sound" from small packages. Any reviewer that points out how inaccurate they are, or points out their obvious smile equalization has the organization slapped with a lawsuit for slander. No audio magazine, with a much smaller budget than BOSE has, has the ability to fight the lawsuit. They may win the right to publish the review, after all is said and done, but their out of the money needed to spend on lawyers. The end result is that no real negative reviews are published. At best, you get tepid, inoffensive reviews.

The equalization they are famous for grabs listeners quickly -- booming bass and bright, grabby highs. Quality midrange? Fohgeddaboudit. But go by a BOSE display (BJs has a large display of BOSE products, for example) and notice your first reaction to what you here, but then spend 10 minutes listening to the music and get a second impression.

Their one real success, and how they built their initial reputation, was with the famed 901, the one that a chevron-like shaped multi-driver speaker meant for nightclubs. Not an audiophile speaker either, but could be played loudly and dispersed its sound in more than one direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back