Pics of the first PPA in Hawaii!!
Nov 25, 2003 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

davidmiya

500+ Head-Fier
Before I say anything, I'd like to thank Voodoochile (Mark) for building me such a wonderful amp.

Now for the good stuff (amp pictures compliments of Mark):

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

Now... a picture of my rig with my cheapo digital camera:

d001.jpg

Just to toot my horn, the amp sounds as good as it looks. The difference between my Meta42 and PPA is night and day. Some people talk about "night and day" when the talk about cables. I for one don't feel that this type of analogy is valid given the other active upgrades out there. Thus, I can truly say that the upgrade was substantial. The improvement is almost as dramatic as the difference between a pcdp and a low-end standalone.

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 32
sek-seee!!

very nice man. If I'm ever in the area, I hope I'll get the use it (and try not to slip it under my coat on my way out).
very_evil_smiley.gif

Congrats man!

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 32
Looks very sexy. I like the chrome/black looks (one look at my computer case confirms that!)

The nice big volume knob gives it a very niced stealthed look that matches with the switches.

My only question is this:

Why aren't the RCA jacks gold/copper?

I'd imagine copper would give the best conduction, but gold would prove best at preventing corrosion (which I'd assume you'd value, being from Hawaii).

Anyhow, it looks excellent. Better yet, I'm sure it sounds excellent.
Congratulations!

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by CrawlingEye
Why aren't the RCA jacks gold/copper?

I'd imagine copper would give the best conduction, but gold would prove best at preventing corrosion (which I'd assume you'd value, being from Hawaii).

Thanks for the compliment
smily_headphones1.gif
I believe I specified Cardas jacks which, according to their site, are Rhodium over Silver plate. Corrosion isn't a problem where I live because we're about 3 miles from the ocean. I would imagine it would be a problem for someone within half a mile of the beach.

As for the conductive value of rhodium, here is what the Cardas site says: Quote:

Erosion is proportional to current fluctuation. The higher the current and the more it fluctuates the faster the connection deteriorates. Contact failure in early microwave and radar equipment caused the military's quest for better plating. The best plating material is a metal called Rhodium. It is extremely hard and flat, it does not corrode or erode, but it is very expensive. So the military's solution was not a solution everyone could afford. Today, only the best cables use rhodium plating, but special direct plated, Hard Gold formulations (like on the Audioquest connectors and I believe XLO) have also found success. There is also a Palladium alloy that is almost as good as Rhodium. Unfortunately many cables are sold with Nickel plating or Nickel with a soft Gold flash for color. Nickel is magnetic and a poor choice by comparison to hard Gold, Palladium or Rhodium.

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 32
Very clean looking. I like it.

What are the 3 switches for?

Nov 25, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by davidmiya
Thanks for the compliment
smily_headphones1.gif
I believe I specified Cardas jacks which, according to their site, are Rhodium over Silver plate. Corrosion isn't a problem where I live because we're about 3 miles from the ocean. I would imagine it would be a problem for someone within half a mile of the beach.

As for the conductive value of rhodium, here is what the Cardas site says:

Ah, I see. I've never heard of that material. It sounds quite logical that it would be a good conductor, given what it's said to possess. Congratulations again and thanks for the correction (no sarcasm intended)
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 32
Mark / Voodoochile is a great guy
just send him a PM directly

Nov 25, 2003 at 8:49 AM Post #12 of 32
Look great. I know the big caps are Elna Carefine, how about those small gold caps? Are they nichicon gold? Love the look and the lay out of your amp. My PPA is pretty nice sounding as well. The PPA is so much better sounding than my Maxed out META42.

Voodoochile,
Excellent works again.

Nov 25, 2003 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 32
this is some very nice DIY ****. it's doesn't look DIY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back