Pics of my mega system: the 'headphone lounge'
Dec 26, 2005 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 164

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
I've recently moved most of my headphone gear into the same room, and thought I'd post some pics.

Headphone_Lounge_1.jpg

Headphone_Lounge_2.jpg

Headphone_Stand.jpg

Headphone_Stand_2.jpg

Description of the system:

The lounge chairs can slide around easily on the tile floor for 2 channel listening with the Newform Research 645R ribbon speakers (partially shown). They have dynamic mid bass driver boxes hidden behind the chairs that integrate seamlessly with the ribbon towers. Each of the Shanling players are fed into the Bel Canto SEP1 preamp (middle rack, bottom shelf), and is powered by a pair of Bel Canto EVo 200.2 digital (Class T) amps in bridged mono. These are shown on the bottom shelves of the outer racks.

Everything else in this entire set up is for headphone use! On the left rack, from top to bottom not counting the bottom shelf, is the Shanling T100 cd player, the Sennheiser HEV90, Singlepower Maestro ZR. In the middle rack is the Shaling T300 cd player, the T300 power supply and some much needed space to hold CD cases, the EAR Yoshino V20 (new to Santa this year, for the K1000's only!), and a Tice Audio Power Block IIIC-HP line conditioner through which everything is fed into the Richard Grey Power Station (on the tile floor) and then (eventually) into a Wattgate 381 outlet (not yet installed). On the right rack is the Shanling T200 cd/sacd player, and the Angstrom Research "two box" amp and matching power supply.

The racks are from Verastarr Audio. The granite color of the outer racks match, but the middle rack had been ordered preciously so it's a different color. I'll have to post some closer-up pics to show the grain. The "Cloud 10" isloation platforms and dust covers in clear acrylic are from Gingko Audio. The T300 dust cover and platform were tricky to design, and some Head-Fi members might remember helping me to get the hexagon measurements correct. The power cords used are all Virtual Dynamics (6 are 'Master' and the rest are 'Nite II'). Interconnects are a mix and match, including a pair of the 'Master', an HMS Gran Finale (to the HEV90), and several pairs of Tice Audio interconnects.

The headphones pictured are easy enough to identify, and are not usually so clustered together. I've got a 3rd coat rack for use in my office system, and typically 4-6 of the headphones are in there which allows for more breathing room. I normally keep the HE90's, K1000's, and R10's in their boxes (I use the CD3000 box for the R10's), but everything else stays on the coat racks.

Not inclulded in the pics:

About the only items missing from the pics are the RKV/Impedanzer and Egmont Signature amps, plus that Omega II's, SA5000's and W100's, which are out on loan. Oh, and a dust cover for the Shanling T200, which arrived in Florida the day after I left there last week.

I've also got another headphone rig in my office using the Audio Aero Prima as the main source, the Sugden Headmaster as a solid state amp, and the Berning micro ZOTL as a tube amp.

My travel system is the UE10-Pro for isolation, the EW9 for non-critical listening while multi-tasking, the Hornet and SM3v6 portable amps, the XP-7 as a tranportable amp (hotel use), a couple of PCDP's and a 60 GB Video iPod.

As you might imagine, I really like headphone listening and get a lot of use out of all this stuff. At times, I feel a bit guilty about the gluttony of it all, but never when a pair of headphones is actually on my head, which is most of the time while I'm at home, which is most of the time!

Edit: Thanks goes out to immtbiker for resizing these pics and hosting them.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Are those just plain ol' raquetballs under the Shanling's?

Indeed they are! Penn, actually. The platforms came with 1.5" green balls which I mistook for raquetballs, so I ordered two dozen blue ones to match the Shanling lights, but of course they're 2" and stand out more. But no worries, Gingko has sent me the 1.5" blue replacement troops, which are not as vivid in color. I just need to put them in.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I've recently moved most of my headphone gear into the same room, and thought I'd post some pics.

Headphone_Lounge_1.jpg

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Man, what a gorgeous setup!!! I'm sure it sounds as great as it looks
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. too bad you're not in the States... enough goodies there for a meet, and not a "mini" one either.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 164
Very nice, Wayne.
basshead.gif
It's one thing to read the profile, another to see it all assembled.

I assume that's Nik's old Angstrom? How is that one? I remember approx. how much it cost Nik, I'm wondering how you feel its performance level is?

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
P.S. too bad you're not in the States... enough goodies there for a meet, and not a "mini" one either.

True, and I'd love to host a meet in Cayman - soon, very soon! - it's just hard for people to get here both in terms of time and money.

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
ps so you use all the headphones at the moment or do you use almost 1-2 pairs ?

Like bozebuttons, Hirsch, etc., I use every last one of them, but of course I have my favorites. The HE90 and R10 have always fought for the top spot, but lately it has been the K1000's! With the EAR amp they sound breathtaking. I'm also listening to the W5000, AD2000 and K701's a lot because they are all new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back