Pico vs iBasso D2
Mar 8, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #31 of 51
And is it possible to make the P2 sound neutral with opamp rolling? That would make a difference with Triple.fi/UE11

Mar 9, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It improves quite a bit. As I'm sure you are well aware, the ES2's hiss like crazy with any portable DAP. This makes a good portable amp paramount. The ES2's are very receptive to amping, making the P2 ideal. You can also customize the P2's sound with op-amp rolling, enabling you to tailor the sound to your liking.

to be honest with you, they don't hiss that much on my sony A818 (EQ: all flat with +2 on "clear bass") in comparison to other DAPs out there..

i'm considering getting the D2-Viper.. but even if my A818 has no line-out do you think it will be a good match since it may have a very similar sound signature as your P2?

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to be honest with you, they don't hiss that much on my sony A818 (EQ: all flat with +2 on "clear bass") in comparison to other DAPs out there..

i'm considering getting the D2-Viper.. but even if my A818 has no line-out do you think it will be a good match since it may have a very similar sound signature as your P2?

Without a line-out, you'll be amping the signal twice- once from the amp of the A818 and then from the D2. Some head-fiers do this- I used to do it myself with a Sony HD-5, but having done so and experienced the difference I think it defeats the purpose. Think about it, you'd be amping a signal that's already been amped, not a clean signal.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Without a line-out, you'll be amping the signal twice- once from the amp of the A818 and then from the D2. Some head-fiers do this- I used to do it myself with a Sony HD-5, but having done so and experienced the difference I think it defeats the purpose. Think about it, you'd be amping a signal that's already been amped, not a clean signal.

How the signal out of DAC chip gets boosted to line-out level then? Isn't it get amplified in the analogue output stage?
I am using Pico as dedicated DAC and signal is as clean as one from standalone DACs with line-out such as HR MicroDAC or Stello DA100.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Hm...we had numerous discussions about it. While line-out is better than amping a headphone jack, amping a headphone jack is not necessarily bad as it helps even out the frequency response of the entire system (through providing more current available at the output).

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #37 of 51
i'm just not a fan of ipods or just about any other DAPs out there with available line-outs.. and i'm so impressed by what sony has done with the A818 that i'm gona sell it soon for the A829 (hopefully it'll have a line-out, but i doubt it).

IMO, the A818 is just miles better than any DAP i've tried out recently in terms of SQ, functionality, and build quality.

anyhow, i thought the fact that my A818's headphone out has a very clean signal (w/ EQ all flat) would make it fine for amping?

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #38 of 51
With A800 series you dont even need a line out with its sound quality. Sorry for OT.

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With A800 series you dont even need a line out with its sound quality. Sorry for OT.

EDIT: now that i know what OT means.. sorry for OT

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #40 of 51
On most players, volume is controlled digitally. This means you have to find the volume at which your player behaves like a lineout (no digital attenuation of the signal). For Sony A8xx players it's full volume.

Amping the player with a D2... I don't know if it's a good idea: the Sony is considered a warmish player, and the D2 amp is warm as well. You'll make overall sound signature more opaque. This will be great for Etys, not so much for IEMs with subdued highs, or bassy. I wouldn't do this for Westone ES2.
My understanding is that you might be better served by an iQube (550$!), SR71, AE-2 or Minibox E+ (180$).

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On most players, volume is controlled digitally. This means you have to find the volume at which your player behaves like a lineout (no digital attenuation of the signal). For Sony A8xx players it's full volume.

Amping the player with a D2... I don't know if it's a good idea: the Sony is considered a warmish player, and the D2 amp is warm as well. You'll make overall sound signature more opaque. This will be great for Etys, not so much for IEMs with subdued highs, or bassy. I wouldn't do this for Westone ES2.
My understanding is that you might be better served by an iQube (550$!), SR71, AE-2 or Minibox E+ (180$).

thanks for the input. would a govibe petite be a better match?

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #43 of 51
So I'm guessing nobody has heard both the Pico and D2?

Mar 12, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mew1838 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone can compare the D2 and the petite?

I'll have a D2 soon and I have a petite already. I got the D2 because of ability to roll opamps seemed cool. I will compare stock when I get it and burn in a bit.

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLim98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm guessing nobody has heard both the Pico and D2?

I may have D2 in my hands within not so distant future, although I have to return Pico to the owner this week. I won't have both at the same time, but should be able to get a decent idea still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back