Pico vs iBasso D2
Mar 6, 2008 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

DLim98

New Head-Fier
As I understand it the iBasso D2 amp/dac is finally out so I was wondering if anyone knew how it compared to the Pico. I would love to get a dac for my computers and I figure an amp couldn't hurt. I am planning to get the ATH-A900 very soon as I play games and have a very broad taste in music including slow jazz which seem like a perfect fit for these phones. More or less the bottom line I'm looking for is if the Pico is worth the extra 300? Thank you all in advance for your help.

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the money, then go for it. I would never be able to justify that kind of splurge for a PORTABLE.

Agreed. After I had to cancel my Pico order, I kind of just "woke up" and saw how much I was paying for a portable thing, when I could obviously spend it on something better for my money's worth.

Mar 6, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 51
It would be great to hear a comparison between Pico & D2.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 51
Yes I do understand that the Pico is so much and that is just the reason I'm trying to find a comparison to the D2 to see if the Pico can justify the price. I also wanted to know if either would be a good fit for the A900.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLim98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I do understand that the Pico is so much and that is just the reason I'm trying to find a comparison to the D2 to see if the Pico can justify the price. I also wanted to know if either would be a good fit for the A900.

You mean to see if the D2 can keep up.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 51
Haha exactly.

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean to see if the D2 can keep up.

I'm sure it can. The P2 keeps up with any portable I've owned, including the Larocco PR II. With the same 4-channel amp architecture as the the P2 and pretty much the same DAC chipset as the Pico, the D2 should have no problem keeping up, possibly exceeding it.

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and pretty much the same DAC chipset as the Pico,

Can you please elaborate on this part, does it upsample too?

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

I'm sure it can. The P2 keeps up with any portable I've owned, including the Larocco PR II. With the same 4-channel amp architecture as the the P2 and pretty much the same DAC chipset as the Pico, the D2 should have no problem keeping up, possibly exceeding it.

A mere DAC does not make total sonic performance. The fact that the D2-Viper and Pico use the same DAC doesn't mean that much in terms of how they sound - it's the total implementation that determines sound quality. Until someone posts a full parts/specs list of the D2-Viper, or a picture of its internals, no one can make any claim that one product performs better than the other.

Mar 7, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 51
Hm...I am also interested in this question, so I will look here. I temporarily have a Pico a fellow head-fier has graciously allowed me to borrow to evaluate, and I would like to know where D2 stands. Pico is technically perfect for my setup (it even looks as bad as my laptop :-D, clearly Thinkpads and a black Pico have something in common), but if D2 is very close and 2/5th the price, I'd rather go with D2.

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please elaborate on this part, does it upsample too?

I would like to know this as well, also, I thought the pico was two channel?
I own a viper and think it sounds great, I only have a pocket amp to compare it to and I have really not heard any other amps so i'm not much help.

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A mere DAC does not make total sonic performance. The fact that the D2-Viper and Pico use the same DAC doesn't mean that much in terms of how they sound - it's the total implementation that determines sound quality. Until someone posts a full parts/specs list of the D2-Viper, or a picture of its internals, no one can make any claim that one product performs better than the other.

I agree with you that utilizing the same DAC chip doesn't mean it will be the equal of the DAC in the Pico. However, I believe the amp section with it's 4-channel architecture and op-amp rolling capability should easily be a match for the amp in the Pico. Since when can anyone claim that one product will outperform another based on specs and a parts list? I was basing my opinion on my experience with the P2, which has a near-identical amp section as the D2.

Mar 7, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

However, I believe the amp section with it's 4-channel architecture and op-amp rolling capability should easily be a match for the amp in the Pico. Since when can anyone claim that one product will outperform another based on specs and a parts list?

Contradiction?

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 51
Lol, good catch! I think I write like that sometimes. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back