Pico vs iBasso D2
Mar 7, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 51
I think a big reason that I'm looking at the comparison is because of the huge price different. They seem to be similar not having heard either, but thats I'm wondering if anyone has done a comparison. I think that a lot of people on head-fi want to know if the Pico is worth the extra 300. If it is then I'll go with that, but if the improvement over the D2 isn't worth the extra money then I'll have to reevaluate things. Thanks for all the great help so far.

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you that utilizing the same DAC chip doesn't mean it will be the equal of the DAC in the Pico. However, I believe the amp section with it's 4-channel architecture and op-amp rolling capability should easily be a match for the amp in the Pico. Since when can anyone claim that one product will outperform another based on specs and a parts list? I was basing my opinion on my experience with the P2, which has a near-identical amp section as the D2.

There are plenty of people who can make a performance claim based on specs/parts list or even better a pic of the internals - amp/circuit designers, EE-trained students, etc. Not saying I'm one of them, but I do know people who can.
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #18 of 51
There are too many variables if you don't know that actual voltages, current limiting factors and general layout, knowing the capacitance of the board, inductance and other associated factors dealing with the topology. While you can make an educated guess, it is just a guess, though possibly more accurate than not have a background in the field of electronics. But to say with certainty, I know of know one unless someone is an electropath.

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

I agree with you that utilizing the same DAC chip doesn't mean it will be the equal of the DAC in the Pico. However, I believe the amp section with it's 4-channel architecture and op-amp rolling capability should easily be a match for the amp in the Pico. Since when can anyone claim that one product will outperform another based on specs and a parts list? I was basing my opinion on my experience with the P2, which has a near-identical amp section as the D2.

Can't say anything about amp, but in DAC section they both use WM8740 DAC chip but Pico also features 24bit AD1896 upsampler set to 96KHz, and afaik uses designed by Justin proprietary DAC circuity. Upsampler alone is what the difference is between HR regular MicroDAC and Ultra. The price difference between two is $300 or almost double of regular DAC price, I bet they sound different too.
Not sure about claimed USB-I2S either as it uses PCM2706 Datasheet - Stereo Audio DAC with USB interface, Headphone Output and S/PDIF Output which supports only just USB->SPDIF. But they might not have disclosed the full spec, so I might be wrong here.
EDIT: Just checked the full spec on PCM2706, it does support I2S interface.

Pico internals
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3778127-post70.html

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #20 of 51
I never said the DAC section in the D2 was a clone of the DAC section in the Pico. I said the D2 DAC shared 2 of the same chips (not the upsampling capability). I pointed out the difference with the D2 amp section being 4-channel with op-amp rolling capability and suggested that the D2 might possibly sound better based on my experience with the iBasso P2, which has a near identical amp section as the D2. I've been corrected for my misdeeds not only by people in this thread, but by Justin himself in a PM. Apparently I've really pissed off the FOTM Gods.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #21 of 51
Shouldn't this thread be more about perceived sonic differences and not theoretical differences based on specifications?

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by kodreaming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is D2 a good choice for portable DAC though ?

I am thinking about the combination of D2+XIN SuperMacro IV.

How are you gonna feed it on the go, it's USB only?

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #24 of 51
It could be used as a portable DAC for a laptop or umpc possibly?

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLim98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be used as a portable DAC for a laptop or umpc possibly?

Yup... I think that's what most people are using it for actually
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey there pete,

i see that you too have the Westone ES2's.. how significant is the improvement in SQ when they're hooked up to your iBasso P2?

It improves quite a bit. As I'm sure you are well aware, the ES2's hiss like crazy with any portable DAP. This makes a good portable amp paramount. The ES2's are very receptive to amping, making the P2 ideal. You can also customize the P2's sound with op-amp rolling, enabling you to tailor the sound to your liking.

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

It improves quite a bit. As I'm sure you are well aware, the ES2's hiss like crazy with any portable DAP. This makes a good portable amp paramount. The ES2's are very receptive to amping, making the P2 ideal. You can also customize the P2's sound with op-amp rolling, enabling you to tailor the sound to your liking.

What makes P2 ideal besides op-amp rolling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back