Pico or AE-2
Feb 5, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #16 of 27
well at least he's responsive to emails. if you couldn't find a 'buy' button on his website for the pico, you can just shoot him an email. his contact is on there... i don't think that would've been so hard, especially since it was mentioned that this whole pre-order process had to be researched...

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently rocking out to an AE-2 right now; it's no slouch but from what I understand the Pico is THE top portable right now, the DAC is also an incredible bargain.

I have my name on the pre-order list at #267 and haven't received a bill yet so it must be a few more weeks!

It's interesting because I did a search for posts on the AE-2 and didn't find much, but from what I understand it should be pretty darn good. It's only fault (AFAIK) is that it's not the new kid on the block.

I'm kind of surprised the DAC has generated all the interest that it has. I didn't know there were so many who found a use for it. At first I just thought about the Pico but I'm starting to wonder if I'd enjoy the option of a DAC.

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting because I did a search for posts on the AE-2 and didn't find much, but from what I understand it should be pretty darn good. It's only fault (AFAIK) is that it's not the new kid on the block.

Well, sometime right after the whole headfi downtime fiasco, I read a review over some amps and the reviewer said that the AE-2 was the best portable. The problem is that he never reviewed the Pico because none were released at the time. But if the Pico's quality overall is just as good as AE-2, then the obvious choice would be the Pico because that thing is damn small.

Quote:

I'm kind of surprised the DAC has generated all the interest that it has. I didn't know there were so many who found a use for it. At first I just thought about the Pico but I'm starting to wonder if I'd enjoy the option of a DAC.

See, thing is that I'm planning on getting the Gilmore Lite where my computer would be the source. Because of this, should I still get the DAC option when I pre-order my Pico?

Feb 5, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #19 of 27
Again like what the other head-fier has stated, both the AE-2 and pico are great amps and are probably similar in sound signature. It goes down to what features you're looking for. Pico = amp/dac, smaller form factor, AE-2 = rca in, bigger knobs.

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by swmaxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, thing is that I'm planning on getting the Gilmore Lite where my computer would be the source. Because of this, should I still get the DAC option when I pre-order my Pico?

I should be getting my Gilmore Lite and Pico in a few days. Home setup will be desktop computer > 0404 USB* > GLite > HD650. Office setup will be laptop > Pico > PK1.

I chose to go with external DAC for my home setup for maximum flexibility at minimal cost. Yes, it's another box, but it is something I can change as I (inevitably) move up the upgrade chain.

So the question to ask yourself is if you really want to put all of your eggs in the Pico basket, or whether you think upgrading bits and pieces of your rig will be likely. This obviously is moot if you're rolling in $$$.

*via Airport Express

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by swmaxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, sometime right after the whole headfi downtime fiasco, I read a review over some amps and the reviewer said that the AE-2 was the best portable. The problem is that he never reviewed the Pico because none were released at the time. But if the Pico's quality overall is just as good as AE-2, then the obvious choice would be the Pico because that thing is damn small.

It's funny. I think that most portable amps are too small and clumsy to use with most sources. As somebody else stated elsewhere, for us a form factor that more closely matches the iPod would be better. The smaller amps makes it awkward to put the two together when portability is required. When it's not required, having extra features like RCAs and a line out if a DAC is involved would be better.

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should be getting my Gilmore Lite and Pico in a few days. Home setup will be desktop computer > 0404 USB* > GLite > HD650. Office setup will be laptop > Pico > PK1.

I chose to go with external DAC for my home setup for maximum flexibility at minimal cost. Yes, it's another box, but it is something I can change as I (inevitably) move up the upgrade chain.

So the question to ask yourself is if you really want to put all of your eggs in the Pico basket, or whether you think upgrading bits and pieces of your rig will be likely. This obviously is moot if you're rolling in $$$.

*via Airport Express

You could also try using the Pico at home as a standalone DAC feeding the GLite as opposed to the 0404 USB. I have no idea how the two would compare but it might be worth trying.

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also try using the Pico at home as a standalone DAC feeding the GLite as opposed to the 0404 USB. I have no idea how the two would compare but it might be worth trying.

Is that possible? I don't have a pico but does it have an audio out?

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that possible? I don't have a pico but does it have an audio out?

It's been discussed at length in some of the Pico threads. The pico doesn't have a line output as such but the headphone output can be used as a variable output to an amp. Apparently this isn't that much different than a typical DAC would be.

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

I find this confusing also. I think there was a sign up sheet for preorder and THOSE are being filled. But you still can't use the website to order one. All I can figure is that he's working through the preorder list and when done he will open the "buy" button on the website. It would make more sense to me if he allowed orders on the website and just put a long delivery date on them.

I think the "pre-order" chaos would go down if the Pico MoT thread was locked and Justin updated his site with an Add To Cart for the Pico. That way the only people who get on his order list are the people who pay upfront.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again like what the other head-fier has stated, both the AE-2 and pico are great amps and are probably similar in sound signature. It goes down to what features you're looking for. Pico = amp/dac, smaller form factor, AE-2 = rca in, bigger knobs.

have you heard both? From my experience, I dont think they sound that similar

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll probably give that a whirl at some point (just to compare SQ), but I need the 0404 USB because it has an optical input. I have my Mac Mini in another room of the house from my audio equipment. Tunes are Wifi'd to Airport Express > Mini Toslink > 0404 USB optical.

Things would be different if Apple opened the USB port on Airport Express to anything other than for printing hub. Oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back