Pico or AE-2
Feb 4, 2008 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

swmaxxx

Head-Fier
From what I've seen, the AE-2s are tiny. However, HeadAmp says that the Pico is 40% of the size of the AE-2. That's ridiculous! I was wondering if the AE-2 is better than the Pico and by how much. Is there even a way to find out since the Pico isn't out yet? Should I wait for it to come out or get something else for now? Thanks for the help.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 27
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/he...thread-258967/

And the optional part lets you listen to your digital files on your computer/laptop via USB. I'll let other members get more into detail on it.
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 27
DAC = digital to analog converter. The pico has a high-end dac chip that converts the digital audio from your pc to something that the pico amp can amplify. Via the usb , it bypasses the conversion from your computer's dac, which is probably of inferior quality. So what you get is a better sounding ampflified audio through your headphones.

The pico also comes with just the "amp-only" version for people that would like to use their portable DAPs with the pico and not use a computer as source.

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianomav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pico also comes with just the "amp-only" version for people that would like to use their portable DAPs with the pico and not use a computer as source.

I think it should be noted that the Pico with USB DAC can also be used in this fashion with a portable DAP.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by swmaxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But Headamp.com still says preorder.

I find this confusing also. I think there was a sign up sheet for preorder and THOSE are being filled. But you still can't use the website to order one. All I can figure is that he's working through the preorder list and when done he will open the "buy" button on the website. It would make more sense to me if he allowed orders on the website and just put a long delivery date on them.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 27
Then people would start popping up in the forums talking about their Picos while others said hey, where's mine?! It's a bit confusing but reasonable in my mind given the alternative.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishpatrol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then people would start popping up in the forums talking about their Picos while others said hey, where's mine?! It's a bit confusing but reasonable in my mind given the alternative.

Actually we already have that. People ARE popping in talking about the Pico and others like me are scratching our heads wondering how something that isn't available is being shipped. All it took was research on my part but it DID require research and assumptions for me to puzzle it all out.

All I was saying was you should be able to order one on the website now that they are shipping ... and to avoid upsetting the preorder people just put a sufficiently large estimated delivery date on the new orders so you are sure the preorders come out first.

If I order something that says 6-8 weeks and see others getting their orders I assume they placed theirs first, not that mine is late. That is, until the 8 weeks has passed. But maybe I'm odd that way. But I'm sure you're right and there would be complaints either way since people sometimes just like to complain.

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 27
The Pico "pre-order" thread on Head-Fi is THE place for placing an order. I bet Justin of Headamp didn't plan on this being the case for so long. He's mentioned that Pico response was 5x the number he expected. So I think he's swamped with all the Pico orders -- in addition to the other amps he makes.

So many orders. No time to update your own page. No time to switch the purchasing/ordering mechanism on your own page. Must keep head down and make more Picos. Here come some more "pre-orders." ACK!

Vicious cycle, I guess. A good problem to have?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by swmaxxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've seen, the AE-2s are tiny. However, HeadAmp says that the Pico is 40% of the size of the AE-2. That's ridiculous! I was wondering if the AE-2 is better than the Pico and by how much. Is there even a way to find out since the Pico isn't out yet? Should I wait for it to come out or get something else for now? Thanks for the help.

I'm currently rocking out to an AE-2 right now; it's no slouch but from what I understand the Pico is THE top portable right now, the DAC is also an incredible bargain.

I have my name on the pre-order list at #267 and haven't received a bill yet so it must be a few more weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back