PICO + HD650 = MAGIC :)
Dec 24, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600's out of the Pico weren't magic when I tried it. They were fairly decent. I don't expect the HD650 to be any different than that situation. Lisa III however... Ehe. But I'm comparing apples with oranges of course.

Can you please tell me more about the LISA III with the HD650 ??

Dec 24, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please tell me more about the LISA III with the HD650 ??

Lol I said in that post that I only tried the HD600 with the Lisa III. Not the HD650.

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, can you please tell me more about it ?

The Lisa III did well powering the HD600's. But no where near home amps though. It's kind of hard comparing the Lisa III with a home amp due do.. Bass knob and the different sound signatures of the amps.

But what I can tell you is that the Lisa III did not make the HD600's bass sound muddy (as what portable amps I tried did to it, excluding the Pico). The Lisa III did not make the highs sound fatiguing. That said, the HD600's never had fatiguing highs to begin with. The mids were decent, as in not involving but good enough to listen to.

That's about it of what I recall about it though. Sorry if it's lacking things here and there.

Dec 27, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #22 of 36
the Lisa III is about as close to a home amp in the ability to drive fullsize headphones that you are going to get IMO. but there is a good reason for that; it might have something to do with all that power under the hood. the Lisa III is getting closer to being mine. I cant wait. never heard such SQ out of a portable before. plus you can get 50+ hours out of a single charge wit the XP version.. the lisa III XP does take 50hrs to fully charge though; but you can use it at the same time. with DIYMOD->VCAP->lisa III standard->recabled denon D2000 the sound was close to magic thats for sure. definately good to while away the hours on business trips or on a daily commute. pocketable... no... transportable definately

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #23 of 36
This is my first post at head-fi.. so please be GENTLE. lol! =)

Anyways I treid the pico and HD650 stock and a recabled one. I just didn't get the oomph you get on a desktop rig. But in terms of volume the pico and all the portables I thried can give a decent volume but it was really sibilant for me. IMO its more of having the music dynamic and getting the slam as the HD650 are one of the cans known to be hard to drive.

I even found it difficult to pair well on some desktop amps such as the Novo and the EDDIE Current SS. I only found my personal nirvana on a tube.

But again enjoying the sound is really a subjective thing and is really based on personal preferences. I have yet to try a HD650 on a LISA III but I have tried on an IQube, SR71A and predator. all of them didn't really feel right as if there was a large chunk missing.

Jan 20, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #24 of 36
I have been look for a USB DAC+Amp for no more than $300. I don't need it to be portable, as I will mainly use it with my laptop (Thinkpad, no optical out) in my office. In this price range, I have read a lot of threads where people recommending portable solution like the iBasso's products. Is it possible to get some USB DAC+Amp desktop solutions that price around $200~300 that would clearly sound better in everyway than portable solutions in the same price range?

What about those the Predator and Pico? They are supposed to be the best among portable amps. Can you name some USB DAC+Amp desktop products that sound better than them but not more expensive than them (i.e. less than $500)?

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #27 of 36
I'm actually going to agree with the OP on this one, I do like the combo of Pico + Sennheiser (HD600 in my case).

My Pico drives it sufficiently, but more to the point, the tone and presentation of the Pico strikes a nice harmony with the intrinsic musicality of the HD600. I would go so far as to say that Pico + HD600 was a more synergistic combo than M^3 + HD600, having owned both rigs.

Now, balanced HD600 out of a balanced M^3 was an entirely different kettle of fish...
evil_smiley.gif

Edit: I wouldn't go so far as to call Pico > HD600 'Magic', though, as I have heard them better. Namely balanced.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #29 of 36
I have the same exact setup of the OP. I have the Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable too. I'm using the Pico right now as a USB DAC to my macbook, and also using it with my imod. I believe that the Pico is sufficient to drive the HD650. Of course you could probably get better sound from a desktop home rig, but there is something about pairing the Pico and the HD650 that actually made my quest for searching for anything better here on head-fi. You can call it magical or whatever you want, but in my ears it sounds
a589958-127-smiley35.gif
good! Headamp Pico + Senns HD650 has officially ended my quest for audio nirvana and has kept my wallet happy.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #30 of 36
i wonder if a predator can drive hd650 with ease , anyone knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back