Pico and Tomahawk Size Comparison?
Jun 11, 2008 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

basman

500+ Head-Fier
Which is bigger Pico or Tomahawk? How about the thickness between the two.

Please post some pics comparing thickness of both amps and much better compared with the thickness of Hornet.

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 10
that sizing website is pretty cool

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks trickywombat. based from the model still Tomahawk is the smallest of the 3.

Hope that someone could post the actual pics.

Thanks

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 10
Both are so small you will hardly notice the difference.
No need to compare
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Crummy, gritty, lo-res cellphone-verite pics -- but they'll give you an idea, until someone posts some real purty pics.

(Sorry -- no SR-71 available that day.)

THPicoPredHornetPortMaxSd3h.jpg

TH-Pico_Pred-Hornet-PortMaxFrt3h.jpg

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Many thanks Romanee, nice and lots of portable amps. How do you compare Tomahawk, Pico, Predator and Hornet?

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 10
I've held off posting anything due to family & job stresses. It'll be awhile before I have time and energy to listen and write.

It's been a while now since I auditioned the Predator and Pico, so I'll have to start over when I'm ready. I own the Tomahawk, Hornet and Portpaphile and had loaners of Pico and Predator (and SR-71 for a bit).

BTW - don't forget the Portaphile Maxxed, which is also a very fine amp sonically, if not esthetically (though it eats batteries at a frightening rate).

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 10
I'll wait for your valuable impression coz got in trouble of selecting between Predator Pico and Tomahawk.

Yeah havent heard the Portas but I'm sure it rocks!

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll wait for your valuable impression coz got in trouble of selecting between Predator Pico and Tomahawk.

Yeah havent heard the Portas but I'm sure it rocks!

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but please don't wait. Life's difficulties have me so wiped out at the moment that it will be a while before I'll be up to the task.

The Pico & Predator are both excellent amps, and you'll find ardent and very vocal fans for each. They have very different sonic signatures and are for different tastes/preferences. Of course each camp has those proclaiming their fave as the best thing since sliced bread, but it's obviously not that simple. The only small note I'll add is that despite the frequent posts about the Pico's "neutrality", I found that to my ears it added a very distinct signature which was exciting and seductive (and it's an esthetic jewel to hold), but it didn't fit my personal parameters for "neutrality". Each of the two has much to offer. If you haven't already, read the many posts for them. Hearing a thoroughly "burned-in" sample of each with your own source(s) and phones/IEMs is still the only way to determine which fits your tastes.

I actually use my Tomahawk most often for true day-to-day in-transit portability, with my Westone ES2 IEMs -- because of the TH's 400+ hours of play with 2 AAA disposable Alkalines, so no need to think about batteries or charging. After a really really long time the batteries die and I replace them. It's also very small & neat, has a very wide soundstage and a very "balanced spectrum" and satisfying sound with the ES2.

Home use has me swapping between Hornet & Portaphile Maxxed, depending on which phones, music & mood. At night, in bed, it's usually the TH for its better handling of very low-level dynamics and detail (quiet play while wife sleeps). If I had an SR-71 I'd probably use it on the night table for it's huge air, micro dynamics, micro-detail, and as yet unmatched "Ahhh" factor (compare side-by-side with other amps and you'll know what I mean).

That's it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back