Picking up a pair of vintage Sony MDR-CD6's, can anyone give me some info/advice?
Mar 13, 2017 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

VIrak

New Head-Fier
So, I'm picking up a pair of Sony MDR-CD6's in good condition tomorrow.

The earpads obviously need replacement, so some pointers on what to get would be appreciated.

But what am I actually getting? There's very little info on the web, except that judging by eBay prices, they seem quite rare/collectible.

Does the crazy prices reflect the sound quality? 

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 10
Hi, I am sorry if I am not of great help, but I am after this set as well. Please share your thoughts when you tried it. All I know is that these were absolutely the top category in the on ear arsenal of Sony in the eighties. Which means absolute awesomeness as the eighties were the best era. What I know though is that in terms of ear foams/pads, you might need to do some DIY work as these models used the pads as well to add to the sound. A regular foam won't bring the potential of such a set. I have some similar sonys as I am quite a fan, though I don't have the cd6 unfortunately :)

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 10
By DIY I mean you might want to cut the exact shape of the original pads from the same foam material and then fix it there somehow - using some kind of socks (stockings?) - or just fix it there with glue (not superglue preferably) - believe me, the shape of the foam and the fit to the air enhances the sound with these models. Anyways keep in touch, I might be just as excited as you :) 

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 10
Well, the build quality is definately not an issue! Apart from the pads, everything is in very good condition, and looks like the headphones are determined to stay that way.

So far I've only tried them a little with my ol' rockboxed Sansa Clip+, and the lack of sealing is very noticable.
They sound quite good when I give the pads some pressure with my fingers, though.

I think they might benefit from pleather pads, since the pads originally had a polyurethane coating? From what I've gathered, they're supposed to isolate from the surroundings, so simple foam pads may not be the ticket here. Regarding your stocking idea, I actually asked my girlfriend about wool stockings yesterday :wink: 

But how did you address the pad issue? Have you tried those BOSE QuietComfort 3 pads mentioned in the Sonyclub link (I'm guessing you have CD-7's or CD-5's)?

And why do they seem so rare? The interwebs says they were in production from 1986 to 1995, so there should be a few out there. The Audiots page says they were 134 Euros in 1988, and at that price I kind of doubt people would just throw them away because of worn pads.

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 10
  Well, the build quality is definately not an issue! Apart from the pads, everything is in very good condition, and looks like the headphones are determined to stay that way.

So far I've only tried them a little with my ol' rockboxed Sansa Clip+, and the lack of sealing is very noticable.
They sound quite good when I give the pads some pressure with my fingers, though.

I think they might benefit from pleather pads, since the pads originally had a polyurethane coating? From what I've gathered, they're supposed to isolate from the surroundings, so simple foam pads may not be the ticket here. Regarding your stocking idea, I actually asked my girlfriend about wool stockings yesterday :wink: 

But how did you address the pad issue? Have you tried those BOSE QuietComfort 3 pads mentioned in the Sonyclub link (I'm guessing you have CD-7's or CD-5's)?

And why do they seem so rare? The interwebs says they were in production from 1986 to 1995, so there should be a few out there. The Audiots page says they were 134 Euros in 1988, and at that price I kind of doubt people would just throw them away because of worn pads.

Of course :) if well maintained, these can last forever imho according to my cans which are too 25-30 + years old.
Sansa is nice but I recommend you to try it with home equipment too, vinyl, tape...must be really cool with those too.
Or a cassette walkman. Or some really high res player. I think you cannot go wrong with the CD6 with any source, since
it's specs are quite heaven - it's just recommended to listen to quality stuff because the CD6 will be grateful (especially your ears will be :))
You're not wrong with the pads you are referring to but they are a bit heavy. Sony's genius was that everything they 
made back in the day were featherweight, even the pads. Isolation is correct, and somehow those were acoustically 
engineered too for a better listening experience /hence the shape of the original pads which you cannot find in a regular
pleather pad/. Yes, simple pads would not make magic. Of course, girls are the best! I have a really nice colleague whom
I told I might need one and the next days she brought me a pair :)
I haven't tried those yet as now my issue is not relevant. I have the MDR-51, MDR-62, MDR-M44 now, and only the M44
would need it - but it still has it's original pads miraculously. They years couldn't destroy it. Btw I recommend the 51 and the 62 as well,
they are really-really nice for portable and for home use as well. Though the 62's price has been pretty high recently.
I had the M88 and what I did was I bought a pair of make up foams (not kidding) and since it still had it's covering material (stocking :) ) - so I stuffed the foams into them quite carefully.
They are quite rare. You are REALLY lucky you could get them for free (I am at audiokarma as well :) ) - I'd really like to find one too.
Although my first aim are some Aiwa cans, the CD6 is a bliss too. Please tell me about your progress with it, you might not imagine how happy I am to find someone I can talk to about vintage on ear Sony sets :)
And to answer it: I don't know. As I see, the general public tend to forget these very nice sets and I can't imagine why. 
These headphones are just as good as today's sets if not better. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 10
So you hang out over at Audiokarma, too :) That's my main forum of choice, as I'm mostly into 70's Japanese turntables, separates, and such..
But I occasionally dip into the headphone forums, too. Actually, it was modding of my old PortaPros that inspired me to take an extra close look at the headphones listed on the Norwegian version of Craigslist. And there was the Sony's, for free, in walking distance!

Anyways, the Bose OE2/OE2i replacement pads seems to be a pretty good match:
 Ear cushion dimensions: 2.3″ (height) x 2″ (width)

$3 on Aliexpress, and no need to remove plastic or anything. 

If the pads work out, I'll probably mainly use the headphones with my laptop, they are after all "Digital Monitors"!
The vinyl rig is already Staxed out pretty good :)

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 10
  So you hang out over at Audiokarma, too :) That's my main forum of choice, as I'm mostly into 70's Japanese turntables, separates, and such..
But I occasionally dip into the headphone forums, too. Actually, it was modding of my old PortaPros that inspired me to take an extra close look at the headphones listed on the Norwegian version of Craigslist. And there was the Sony's, for free, in walking distance!

Anyways, the Bose OE2/OE2i replacement pads seems to be a pretty good match:
$3 on Aliexpress, and no need to remove plastic or anything. 

If the pads work out, I'll probably mainly use the headphones with my laptop, they are after all "Digital Monitors"!
The vinyl rig is already Staxed out pretty good :)

Yes, occasionally though as there is not a huge activity there recently regarding earphones. I could see that someone was mentioning the Aiwa HP-X10, my mainly desired headphones of all - 
I tried to reach that person (rob mills his name there) but I could not reach him unfortunately. I have a total bad luck so far with Aiwa cans. So you have Portapros? Is the CD6 better? I guess so.
You ha blind luck really :) I'll get thoe Bose pads later for my M44 too. For laptop? That's cool, though you might need an external sound device to get the best of it. But you'll see.
Stax...wow...I guess electrostatic. That's another level of course, I won't ask wich is better, a Lambda or the CD6 :wink:

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 10
I have a pair of the sought after SONY MDR-CD6 Headphones. I picked them up in year 1992. I had daily used the headphones on my portable CD player when working out at the gym for many years. They are light and very powerful volume with a clean, crisp listening speakers. Now fast forwarded to year 2023. I opened a dresser drawer and pulled the headphones out. I plugged them into my Nakamichi 682 ZX tape deck (phones) jack only to discover that the left speaker is no longer working. Now I'm in a search to try to locate a matching identical speaker for the Sony MDR-CD6. Sony Repair Center no longer has any more parts to repair these rare headphones. I will not replace the original speakers with another replacement generic set of speakers that would lower the value of these headphones dramatically. Also the sound would never be the way they were created to be. I don't want to sell them in this condition right now. I am only going to pursue to get the headphones restored some day back to OEM. My purchase price that I paid for the headphones in the year 1992 was an unbelievable $19. I do Thank You Very Much for listening to my history of the lovely, Sony MDR-CD6 headphones.
Sincerely Alan

Mar 17, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 10
I always wonder if/how the original pads altered the sound THAT much with these older Sonys (Hair, Hair Hifi series) that they sound so good. I have a Sony MDR-M66 with OG pads and the M66 sounds that good that it blows away many recent headphones. If someone would start to recreate these kinds of foam systems, it would be a nice business move as I think more people would want their vintage Sonys to be restored than one might think. I also have an Aiwa HP-X10, which would sound crazy good, but the foams are completely gone and I am struggling to find alternatives. These uniquely cut doughnut foams and the mesh around them participated in the sound more than we'd think and we are in dire need of them nowadays as the mostly bulky, existing substitutes don't recreate the original experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back