Picked up my first pair of 'good' headphones, I'm pretty impressed (Sennheiser HD 380 Pro)
Sep 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sgt deacon

New Head-Fier
So after much debating on what headphone I wanted I went ahead and picked up the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. I know I had posted in the recommendation thread awhile ago and today I went to guitar center. I tried on both the Shure SRH840 (which is what I was mainly interested in) and the Sennheiser. While they both sounded good the Sennheiser's were a good bit more comfortable. The Shures felt like after a few hours of listening they would be an irritating weight, whereas I didn't get that with the Sennheiser's. I also liked that the Sennheiser's used foam instead of leather (pleather?) , additionally I liked the carrying case more.

Some general points about going from my pair of ~$30 to these is the sounds just feel....tighter? I don't how to describe it, it just sounds better and that there is more separation. Also it is pretty clear that in general these are of a higher quality [I'd hope so though, being ~7x as much]. The isolation on these is also really nice, I can barely hear things happening around me, which is a plus in a college dorm.

Also I have 15 days to return these so if I have made a big mistake or something do let me know, I'd be interested in hearing opinions. It was kind of an 'impulse buy', but so far I am happy.

Additionally thank you for all the help to everyone who has helped me throughout these past few days!

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 5
Out of the stuff my local Best Buy has on display I liked the 380s the best. I liked my SRH840s much more but the HD 380s aren't bad either.

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think I like the decision to sacrifice a small amount of sound quality for more comfort, especially since i will be wearing these an extended period of time.

I didn't really think of the implications of it being closed versus open, while I like the isolation of closed talking feels weird, and I play games while talking to others quite a bit via VOIP. I'll try them for a week or so and see if I want to consider going to an open pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back