Picked up a brand new (unopened package) Sony D211 Portable on Ebay
Mar 16, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #31 of 54
mine arrived today... everything excellently packed and seemingly survived the journey intact.. nice to have all things nice and new.. I've listened to a couple of albums on it so far and it sounds nice.. it goes very loud.. a bit of distortion right near the top but i listen at 2-4/10 so its not a problem at all and its SOOOOOOOOO loud that you would never want to listen at that level.. will try the HD600s with it (and would love to try the SA5000 but their large plug stops that for me at the moment) but this one is destined to be my CD player for work.

I just need to find a UK PSU for it now.. need to find a plug that fits the sony socket, i'm wondering if any replacement PSU for current discmans may be suitable!?

Mar 17, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobuk
mine arrived today... everything excellently packed and seemingly survived the journey intact.. nice to have all things nice and new.. I've listened to a couple of albums on it so far and it sounds nice.. it goes very loud.. a bit of distortion right near the top but i listen at 2-4/10 so its not a problem at all and its SOOOOOOOOO loud that you would never want to listen at that level.. will try the HD600s with it (and would love to try the SA5000 but their large plug stops that for me at the moment) but this one is destined to be my CD player for work.

I just need to find a UK PSU for it now.. need to find a plug that fits the sony socket, i'm wondering if any replacement PSU for current discmans may be suitable!?

Glad to hear that you've received your D-211 and enjoying it so far. As long as the voltage rating of the PSU is the same as what is required to power the D-211 and Hz rating of the PSU is the same or higher than the D-211 it should work. Make sure that the PSU is also the same polarity as the D-211 power jack.

Mar 17, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #33 of 54
The PSU that comes with it is

output: 6v 400ma

I've found a regulated power supply that has these specs

output: 6V 500mA regulated PSU

Sounds close.. is 100mA more a problem or ok?

The only problem left is that nothing fits the actual plug.. i could butcher the original US lead and use it but i'd rather not have to butcher anything.. if only those connectors were sold in that typical modular adapter fashion with the two pins the other end to go into the output of the PSU then i could just get the right one and plug it in.. Anyone know if such a thing is sold?

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #34 of 54
jimbobuk,
what's wrong with 2 AA rechargeables OR a US->UK voltage converter?
tongue.gif

A.

Mar 17, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #35 of 54
Actually, if the units are new, and not used, then it is worth the price. I hate buying used stuff, I would rather buy new stuff if I had the chance. You never know what abuse they have gone through. I bought my D777 which was an open box model for $119 at a local retailer a month ago. I knew it was an open box model, but I fugured that was as close I was going to get to a "new" one. Well worth it. These sound better than the D777? Tempting....

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobuk
The PSU that comes with it is

output: 6v 400ma

I've found a regulated power supply that has these specs

output: 6V 500mA regulated PSU

Sounds close.. is 100mA more a problem or ok?

The only problem left is that nothing fits the actual plug.. i could butcher the original US lead and use it but i'd rather not have to butcher anything.. if only those connectors were sold in that typical modular adapter fashion with the two pins the other end to go into the output of the PSU then i could just get the right one and plug it in.. Anyone know if such a thing is sold?

100ma more isn't a problem, you could also try looking into a travel voltage converter that will allow you to use the US lead. Just plug the converter on the power end of the US lead before plugging it into the wallwart and you won't have to worry about the ac jack that plugs into your D-211 from the lead not fitting. Here a link below to a site with various voltage converters including 240v/220v to 110v/120v do a search in Google on travel voltage converters for other sites:

http://www.popularelect.com/travelconverter.html

Mar 17, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #38 of 54
I'm keen to use a nice power supply if i can but a step down may be required..

I was just wondering if anyone knows the description of the typical sony walkman style plugs .. I've found something that may work.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ldID=&doy=17m3

Its just without knowing the name of the size of the adapter that i'm trying to get to fit into the sony its hard to search and find one.

Anyone know?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #39 of 54
The size of the DC plug that will fit into the D-211 is:

1.7mm inside diameter X 4.0mm outside diameter

Sony doesn't use a typical one size fits all DC plug for their PCDPs. Size of the DC plugs varies with PCDP model and voltage requirements. Also yes you will need a step down voltage PSU.

Mar 22, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
I played a CD-R in my D-211 and had no problems with it.

ditto.. just tried it now..

wierdly i just put a cd in and it started playing from where i was last listening to it.. dunno if this was just because it was the last disc i'd played or if i'd turned it off with it still playing/paused instead of being stopped. Impressive as i'd took the batteries out for about 5 mins whilst i fiddled with a new PSU i've managed to find.. by chance i got a matching regulated PSU.. it didn't have the connector to fit so i'd ordered a cheapy 2nd PSU and it happened to come with an adapter that fits the discman, and also nearly fits the regulated PSU output connector. It fits fine but its a little loose.. some insulation tape and i've got a UK spec regulated PSU with the original PSU untouched and keeping the whole package as new.

Now that i've got power i guess i'll need to have a rematch between the D211 and my DCP-100 .. did one at the weekend and thought it was all about the DCP-100 .. anyone know if the D211 is better off of power compared to batteries?! i've heard the denons are quieter off their internal batteries (not a problem as you can't find them anymore
wink.gif
)

Mar 22, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #43 of 54
As for myself I run all of my PCDPs off of the mains as it provides enough constant power supply to allow it to sound it's best where as when they are run off of batteries it may not sound as good as the batteries get weaker. I don't use any of my vintage PCDPs with batteries, when powered of off the mains they truly shine. My Denons are dead quiet when run off of the mains, I haven't had any noise issues with them.

As for the D-211 picking up playing a cd where you left off, I think there is a resume button on the D-211. When the resume button is turned on the PCDP will pick up playing where it last left off.

Mar 22, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

As for the D-211 picking up playing a cd where you left off, I think there is a resume button on the D-211. When the resume button is turned on the PCDP will pick up playing where it last left off.

It just says on/resume on the slider at the front.. i assume this is only for 1 disc at a time.. be interesting for it to try and resume on another disc
smily_headphones1.gif

My denon DCP-100 sounds fantastic out of its new linear regulated PSU as well as the stock one it shipped with (the new one is 100mA less output but it didn't seem to mind, and with you saying my D-211 wont mind 100mA more i figured it'll have to do) .. as i said tho batterys are hard.. and battery packs in through the PSU input just seems a bit too much like hard work to me
smily_headphones1.gif

I spoke with Denon earlier today and asked them an interesting question.. that of where are the modern day equivelant devices of these things.. I want a good sounding portable with a warranty.. heck even CD based (without being able to play mp3 CD) give it me old school with lossless skip protection... ohh well, there are probably only 5 other people in the world who even care about such a thing that comes with a warranty as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back