picked up a Audioquest Carbon USB cable
Sep 21, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #61 of 84

LPS is original part of Regen ?

Can you please tell me model name of this Supra USB cable ?

Hi llja77

The Regen ships with a good quality wall-wart switching power supply and Uptone is working on some type of super add-on device to clean up the power of that switcher.. but the voltage input is somewhat flexible (depends on your DAC/DDC requirements). My DDC does not draw any power from the USB line, so I am using a 9V from TeraDak that I already had. If you are really interested, I suggest check out the Regen threads over at CA for direct suggestions for specific models and other recommendations. I think people are using battery packs and such also. From my reading, I estimate 95% of users report SQ improvement when using the Regen, even with the original PS. Also there are other reports there of other users preferring the Regen over the original iUSBPower (the new iFi model looks pretty interesting though, but is just starting to ship and in most cases would require 2 USB cables). I have a pretty good dedicated music server (ATX-LPS/WinServer/AO/PPA stuff/etc.) and a Tanly DDC connecting via HDMI i2S to an Audio-GD Master 7 DAC. I noticed a better SQ improvement with the Regen/LPS vs. the original iUSBPower. For example, for my setup, the iUSB Power improvement is similar to replacing the USB power with an approx. $50 TeraDak 5V LPS with the supplied TeraDak cable. The Regen improvement was more like upgrading the DDC (I tried at least 4 other models before the Tanly). As other people mentioned here, the Regen regenerates the USB signal and cleans the 5V power, but I think some of the improvement also is that it is small enough to connect almost directly to your device via an adapter, so you have the regenerated signal just a few CM before it enters your DAC or DDC.

I think Supra only makes one model USB cable, so if you search a reputable source for "Supra USB cable", you will find it immediately. The one I have is light blue color casing, made in Sweden, and has a QC tag with the soldering date.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #64 of 84
I experience lots of changes in sonic character during burn in , specialy in first 50-100 hours but....

theres no 100 hours limit to burn in , around 100-300 hours  is where most dramatic changes happen.
But that doesn't mean after 300 hours cable will reach its limit and give you its optimum performance ...

I know from experience, had more than 1000 hours (music playback) on a cable, and didn't hear any improvements , didn't think any improvement will come ...
then i tried Tara Labs cascade burn in noise and cable changed its sonic character.

Its all depends on a signal really , the more intense signal the faster burn in goes ..

Some people warn about side effects from burning cables with noise, so don't just download any Noise from some doubtful and unknown source, if you want to experement with Noise burn on cables...

I recomend IsoTek full system enhancer cd for burn in, good stuff...

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #65 of 84
  I experience lots of changes in sonic character during burn in , specialy in first 50-100 hours but....

theres no 100 hours limit to burn in , around 100-300 hours  is where most dramatic changes happen.
But that doesn't mean after 300 hours cable will reach its limit and give you its optimum performance ...

I know from experience, had more than 1000 hours (music playback) on a cable, and didn't hear any improvements , didn't think any improvement will come ...
then i tried Tara Labs cascade burn in noise and cable changed its sonic character.

Its all depends on a signal really , the more intense signal the faster burn in goes ..

Some people warn about side effects from burning cables with noise, so don't just download any Noise from some doubtful and unknown source, if you want to experement with Noise burn on cables...

Thanks 

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #66 of 84
   Thanks 

Forgot  to ask what USB cable doe you use ?

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #68 of 84
  That's not really the way digital audio works. The cable condition cannot change how the data is transmitted except to make it either right (plays as intended), or wrong (skips/pops/cuts out entierly). There is no room for interpretation in digital audio. You cannot know which bits control the bass extension, or airiness, or anything like that in a long string of ones and zeros - and certainly no way for a cable to make such a distinction.  

*shrug*

I know, old post but I always get a chuckle when people claim digital is nothing but a bunch of ones and zeros.  It's not.  It's a bunch of pulses and the condition in which they arrive at their destination will make a difference in the reconstruction of the signal, including amplitude, timing, width and shape.  I've been in the telecom industry for 35 years and have been directly involved with the transition from analog to digital networks and from the lowly T1/E1 up to the current 100Gig circuits, cable type and quality make a difference.  Cut open a Cisco coax cable and you'll find the center conductor AND the shielding braid are all sliver plated.  Do you think Cisco will be spending money for silver cables if they did not affect the quality of the signal.  Next time someone tells you digital is nothing but ones and zeros, thank them for their input and disregard it.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #69 of 84
I'm not going to comment on the validity of whether cables make a difference when it comes to digital (outside of a poorly constructed cable). But I am going to make it clear that it's bad enough that such a cable IS controversial, and the manufacturer only made it worse by: 1) Never listing the gauge of any of the conductors in the cable, and 2) While making sure you are well aware that the conductors are plated with 5% silver, they never mention the conductor material, itself. They cleverly mention copper conductors in context not plainly related to their cable, and never clearly state what they are made of. AND 3) they never mention the impedance of the cable, which if you're going to be considering a cable for anything critical, you should be concerned about.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #70 of 84
I have been using Carbon A to B for over a year now. Have used lots of AudioQuest cables all around the system. And yes, cables do make a huge difference but you won't notice it if you're on a budget system. I am upgrading soon to the DBS Diamonds and am sure it will be worth an investment.

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #71 of 84
More context would be helpful, here. Cables a generally considered part of the last few percent of diminishing returns. Could you describe your hardware combination in which you heard such a huge difference? That will shed light as to what the circumstances may have been in your case, and help others to adjust their hardware combinations to enjoy the same results.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #72 of 84
More context would be helpful, here. Cables a generally considered part of the last few percent of diminishing returns. Could you describe your hardware combination in which you heard such a huge difference? That will shed light as to what the circumstances may have been in your case, and help others to adjust their hardware combinations to enjoy the same results.

When I bought my stereo system I used AQ Yukon connectors all around it. The soundstage was very wide but something was lacking. I could hear every instrument but there was not enough slam at the bottom end. Sound was extremely airy but thin. Remind you, Yukon is their top of line analog interconnect from Rivers series and isn't cheap. To explore further, I took a risk and jumped on to Elements series; bought the cheapest one there called Water (still way too expensive than Yukon). Been over a year and it still amuses me with the sonic quality it has brought to the system. Never regret my purchase even though the cables costs more than the pre & power amps combined.
If I had to live with the stock cables or even Yukon, I could have always said - Parasound makes decent amps, not great but just ok types. Water changed the decent ok types to amazing/awesome combo. Couldn't be more happier.
This what I have for 2 channel fun
Sony HAPZ1ES/Blusound Node 2 -> Parasound P5 -> Parasound A23 -> Sony SSCS3 & SACS9

Now regarding the Carbon, currently I'm using it at two places.
1. PC -> Parasound P5
2. PC -> Sony TA-ZH1ES (Desktop Headphone Amp/DAC)
With carbon, I have noticed much more detail at the bottom end and transparency/resolution when compared to the stock USB cables. And while I'm extremely happy with the Parasound combo's performance with Carbon, I'm saving enough to upgrade the Carbon to Diamond for the Sony headphone amp. Could the sound improvement be worth triple the price? I certainly believe so because I have experienced what a cable can do
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #73 of 84
And while I'm extremely happy with the Parasound combo's performance with Carbon, I'm saving enough to upgrade the Carbon to Diamond for the Sony headphone amp. Could the sound improvement be worth triple the price? I certainly believe so because I have experienced what a cable can do
biggrin.gif

Update on how the Diamond sounds vs Carbon?

Jun 26, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #74 of 84
Update on how the Diamond sounds vs Carbon?
Oh brother! It's been so long that I don't remember the details as such. Let's just say, diamond is pretty expensive in comparison but it does give you a more open soundstage. You pick up layers of details and none of the frequency bands are compromised. Actually, I am willing to sell one of mine if you are interested. Let me know.
Financial reasons, nothing else. I have 2 of them right now and could use the money somewhere else by letting one go.

Jun 27, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #75 of 84
I took a risk and jumped on to Elements series; bought the cheapest one there called Water (still way too expensive than Yukon). Been over a year and it still amuses me with the sonic quality it has brought to the system. Never regret my purchase even though the cables costs more than the pre & power amps combined.
If I had to live with the stock cables or even Yukon, I could have always said - Parasound makes decent amps, not great but just ok types. Water changed the decent ok types to amazing/awesome combo. Couldn't be more happier.
This what I have for 2 channel fun
Sony HAPZ1ES/Blusound Node 2 -> Parasound P5 -> Parasound A23 -> Sony SSCS3 & SACS9

Now regarding the Carbon, currently I'm using it at two places.
1. PC -> Parasound P5
2. PC -> Sony TA-ZH1ES (Desktop Headphone Amp/DAC)
With carbon, I have noticed much more detail at the bottom end and transparency/resolution when compared to the stock USB cables. And while I'm extremely happy with the Parasound combo's performance with Carbon, I'm saving enough to upgrade the Carbon to Diamond for the Sony headphone amp. Could the sound improvement be worth triple the price? I certainly believe so because I have experienced what a cable can do
biggrin.gif

I'm still curious about the differences you hear with cables such as the Elements Water cable because despite their being silver-plated copper, the jacks on your equipment are likely, something lesser. It makes it seem akin to using a fire-hose in between a garden spigot and a remote sprinkler--the cable has excellent ability to transfer signal, but you have a bottleneck on both ends. Although, I suppose you could look at it like you're maximizing your ability to transfer signal in-between pieces of equipment, given their jacks, since the cable is superior to their jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back