picked up a Audioquest Carbon USB cable
Jul 2, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #46 of 84
As a for instance (and by no means high-end) the USB on my Yulong D100 - the 24/96 PCM goes through the TE7022L I2S out, then hits the D1896 Async sample rate converter. I cannot imagine higher end models using iso instead of async... but I do not really know. 

Data sheet on the TE7022L here - http://www.gfec.com.tw/te7022l

Looks like it's just a pass through to the D1896, which controls the stream: http://www.analog.com/en/audiovideo-products/sample-rate-converters/ad1896/products/product.html

(and the update D200, supports 32/384 PCM and DSD128 via async)

Also regarding errors in high/low frequencies and how they are affected - isn't the number of bits associated with each frequency identical? I don't see how one would be affected more than the other - though possibly one would be more audible... I also thought USB 2 specs required 18ns - 26ns cable lengths to prevent reflections from affecting bit to bit. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #47 of 84
As far as I know, the IEC 60958 implemented by the Tenor TE7022L, has no checksum nor retry. IEC 60958 is what goes over the USB cable. For me that translates to isochronous. The asynchronous support of the D1896 and D200 means, these chips have an internal buffer and do not use the input clock for the actual conversion.

I find your question about the number of bits associated with each frequency hard to answer since DSD and PCM sample amplitude, there is no transformation to the frequency domain before sampling. My previous remark was about the distribution over time compared to the wave pattern of the possible reflections.

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #48 of 84
  I find your question about the number of bits associated with each frequency hard to answer since DSD and PCM sample amplitude, there is no transformation to the frequency domain before sampling. My previous remark was about the distribution over time compared to the wave pattern of the possible reflections.

I see, I misunderstood. In this case, the second point about the USB speed spec (18-26ns) should minimize any bit to bit reflections sufficiently. But is certainly a good argument for not using too long a cable (and one built to USB2 spec). 

As far as I know, the IEC 60958 implemented by the Tenor TE7022L, has no checksum nor retry. IEC 60958 is what goes over the USB cable. For me that translates to isochronous. The asynchronous support of the D1896 and D200 means, these chips have an internal buffer and do not use the input clock for the actual conversion.

The specifications sheet did not clarify, but as far as I can tell, the AD1896 kicks back through the Tenor TE7022L and would make a checksum call, not the USB handler, which appears to just act as a pass through. This is just my evaluation of the arrangement though. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #50 of 84
Interesting breakdown.Thanks. I have been misunderstanding transfer modes versus timing modes.

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #52 of 84
Got AQ carbon a few days ago , i also got Chord Silver Plus usb cable to compare, both cables were bored home for demo...

Best way to describe what u hear is to not mention emotions about what you hear , but simple sonic characteristic...

Carbon -

* Tight strong low end , sound gain more authority and weight , specialy in low end.

* Clarity , fog is gone , it appears in acoustic records where instruments are played and sound actually did touch the air in reality.  Notes hang longer in air , guitar both have "wooden" warmth and cold metallic sound to the strings without contradicting each other  , very compose sound picture 

*Detail  , lots of detail without sounding analytical , thats a good sign !

Now comparing to Chord Silver Plus ..

I had a hard time choosing one of them because both had something to offer that i liked ... i have to admit , i prefer few headphones with Chord silver plus over AQ Carbon , and some headphones sound better to me with Carbon...

Chord Silver Plus (compared to Carbon)

* Smooth , laid back , warm , elegant , very musical and enjoyable , easy on ears but llack in detail , attack , dynamic , and depth  , compared to Carbon...

Hmm just a thought , listening to Carbon  was like listening to a close headphone , while listening to a Chord was like listening to an open headphone , sound is less in your face and theres a more "fog" to it , feels kind of more open and effortless but at the same time  soft and lacks body...

AQ Carbon is the one i choose , Chord is going back to the local hifi store!

I have  a 5k € system and a 100€ cable made a difference , makes you wonder if your system sounds as a weakest part of your system..

I think now that good cable , analog or digital  , doesn't bring anything to a signal , it won't make signal better! But a good cable won't harm the signal , more or less ...

I highly recommend AQ Carbon , if you have other components of your system on the same level , don't bother getting good cables if you have average dac/amp ...

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #53 of 84
Hi everyone.

Anyone has compare USB AQ Carbon with Coffee ? It is there a big difference ?

and may be question not to topic.. : is someone try to used AQ Thunderbolt coffee cable ? How it is VS apple thunderbolt cable? 

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #54 of 84
  Hi everyone.

Anyone has compare USB AQ Carbon with Coffee ? It is there a big difference ?

Not directly.  I have both the USB Coffee and Diamond.  Had the Cinnamon, Carbon, and Diamond in house at the same time for comparisons.  The Cinnamon was a nice improvement over the cable that came with my DAC - probably the best value for the price of the three.  The was a noticeable difference between the Carbon and Cinnamon - but I was hard pressed to decide which one I liked better.  The Diamond was the clear winner - music was simply more natural using it.  Later I picked up a Coffee for a second system and was a bit disappointed with the Coffee - probably because I compared it with the Diamond I already had.  This was in my systems with my DACs.

I don't know if you already have an aftermarket USB cable, but if you are looking in the price range of the Coffee, IMO a better value would be to get an UpTone Audio Regen and pick up a Cinnamon to go with it.  The effect of changing a USB cable was pretty subtle for me, worth the expense, but subtle.  The Regen made a much larger and obvious improvement in my system.  Most Regen owners are observing similar results.  And the improvement was obvious with each of the three DACs I own.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen

If you want to go down the aftermarket USB cable route, I would recommend finding a way to demo them in your system before spending significant $'s on an aftermarket cable.  Or purchase one from a source that has a reasonable return policy.  

Good luck and happy listening.

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #56 of 84

Someone has compared Uptone audio regen with IFI usb power? Price is similar.

For Uptone audio regen one or two audiophile usb cables needed ? 

Hi Rez, thank you for information :) 

The IFI usb power and the Regen are similar in that they both provide clean USB power.  I won't try to guess if one does this better than the other.  But this is the sole function of the IFI usb power.  

The Regen then goes further.  Additionally, it completely regenerates the USB signal being provided to the DAC.  By providing a very clean USB signal to the DAC, in theory the DAC performs less work processing the USB signal, and as a results generates less internal noise performing this task, lowering the noise floor of the DAC output.  This function is the reason for the improvement I observe with my primary DAC (QB-9 DSD), as it does not draw power from the USB input.  

Only one USB cable should be needed.  It is recommended to use a solid adapter between the Regen and your DAC, and the USB cable from your computer to the Regen.   A USB A -> USB B solid adapter comes with the Regen.  If you have a different USB input to your DAC, you'll need pick up a different solid adapter - they are available on ebay, amazon, etc.  I use the provided adapter on my main system.  I had to pick up a USB A -> USB B mini adapter for my work system.  Hugo owners have some other issues due to the USB port being so close to the DAC outputs.

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #57 of 84

Someone has compared Uptone audio regen with IFI usb power? Price is similar.

For Uptone audio regen one or two audiophile usb cables needed ? 

Hi Rez, thank you for information :) 

I have the Regen (previously used the IFi iUSBPower) and the Regen for sure proved the better value in my system, but I use a LPS with the Regen which probably helps a bit. Battery power or LPS for the Regen need not be very expensive. Lots of ideas over at CA.
For USB cable, I have had a few and now using the PPA dual, but I also have a Supra USB cable which proved similar to other cables up to 3x the price - and if I remember correctly is also recommended by Uptone. Only need one cable (use the Regen adapter) but I think not much longer than 1.5 meters.

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #59 of 84
   but I use a LPS with the Regen which probably helps a bit. Battery power or LPS for the Regen need not be very expensive. Lots of ideas over at CA.

LPS is original part of Regen ?

but I also have a Supra USB cable which proved similar to other cables up to 3x the price - and if I remember correctly is also recommended by Uptone.

Can you please tell me model name of this Supra USB cable ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back