Photographers: Which photo manager/viewer do you use?
Feb 13, 2009 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
I need a photo manager that works better than the one that comes with Photoshop elements 4.0.

That particular manager makes me want to pull my hair out. The way it organizes files drives me mad, and the way it replaces the original when I modify a RAW is unacceptable.

Maybe it's just user error on my part, but I want something different.

What do you say? It must work with RAW either natively or with a plugin.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 45
When you say photo manager, do you mean a Digital Asset Manager? If that's the case, then you should like either iView Multimedia Pro the MS Expression Media or the Extensis Portfolio (I've been using the IMP for the last 3~4 years, it's decent).

However, if you only want a photo manager, then ACDsee Pro might be good.

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 45
I like Adobe Lightroom. It's designed to catalog your images, and handles your workflow from RAW image to finished product, including printing, slideshows and web galleries. The newest version allows local adjustments, like dodging and burning. It will pretty much do anything you need to do as far as digital imaging.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 45
Very pleased with iPhoto.
Not all that advanced, but allow you to organize the photos in multiple ways. The search feature works really well as well.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 45
I just organize all my photos into folders with dates and subjects and I use windows thumbnail feature to see what pictures are in each folder. When I open up and view them, I use ACDsee Pro or use Picasa.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 45
I'm a professional real estate photographer, and I've always -- always -- used ACDSee.

Currently, ACDSee Pro 2.5.

Awe-some!

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious, do any of these products allow multiple categories to be assigned to a photograph?

Lightroom allows you to add keywords, so you can use those. You can also create collections. The same photo can exist in multiple collections, so that would probably do what you want.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 45
Yes, ACDSee allows you to categorize in different ways...ratings, favorites, date, or custom categories. Free trial download at their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back