Phono stage + amp kit?
Feb 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

drabina

Head-Fier
Are there any all-in-one headphone amp kits that would have the phono stage built in? I am looking for a one box DIY solution to build for my Pioneer turntable. The amp will have to power vintage AKG 240 and Shure MM type cartridge. No need for MC cartridge support. As to the budget, I would like to stay below $350 for the kit without the case and I can build my own power supply if needed.

Thanks.

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 7
Check out Bottlehead.  You could add two kits together in one housing.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for replies.

The Bottlehead just for the phono pre-amp goes over my budget.

peranders: I never thought on using just the phono pre-amp to drive headphones directly. Any particular models/kits that would work better than other ones? I think the AKG 240 headphones have 600Ohms.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 7
AKG K240 are available in all sorts of impedance ratings from 32 to 600ohms depending on exactly which version you have. 

Why a "one box" thing? You may be able to tweak certain preamps into driving 600ohms, but why? 
Build the 2 separately. If you want to upgrade one, sell it and upgrade. Nice and easy. 

I'd lean towards SS (op amp or discrete SS) based phono stages. I like tubes even more than the next guy, but tube-RIAA is really hard to do right. Variations from tube to tube can really screw a RIAA-compliance of a phono stage up and where is the fun in that? Ideally you would design so that these variances have a minimal effect on the end circuit, but that comes with compromises and costs of its own.

I'm so out of touch with current amps. Heh. find something nice. I would advocate experimenting with high output impedances with the K240 - they can make a nice pair. 

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for replying nikongod. I have the vintage sextetts which are 600 Ohms. If I can't find an all-in-one DIY kit, I can always use one of my receivers or amps. I just thought I could build phono stage and headphone amplifier to add to the collection of my other DIY builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back