Phono preamp for a vpi scout?
Jan 7, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #16 of 24
I don't usually make recommendations about gear I've never heard, but from what I know of the Scout and the 834P from some savy audiophiles, there should be a big difference between the Creek and the 834P. Do remember however that you are unlikely to hear the EAR at it absolute best without good tubes. Also, there are some mods for the EAR to bring it to a higher level of performance if you wish. That does mean that you can start with a stock unit and decent tubes and upgrade as $ allows.

Just my .02
gb

Jan 7, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Screwdriver...awesome avatar. What is it?

i dont really know what it is - just got it off a site.

It can be interpreted in a lot of ways
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #19 of 24
Many good ideas for phono stages here. I have read lots of good reviews about the Emmeline XR2 - but I still want a tube amp! Must be something about that nice warm glow from the tubes.
wink.gif

The Wright WPP100C is no longer made; it has been upgraded (??) with the WPP200C. I haven't found the WPP100C on the used market, either - I guess those that purchased it don't want to let it go!

screwdiver - I checked on Todd's site - He has a used EAR834P for sale for only $600. It is the one with the black face plate, in case this matters to you, but it looks like a heck of a deal: http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/pr...uct.php?id=454

Jan 7, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #20 of 24
Unfortunately you can't see the tubes in the EAR as they are inside the cabinet. $600 is probalby the lowest price I have seen for these, and from Todd to boot! A stellar deal indeed.

I don't think you can really say it performes any percentage better than something else. It sounds great and is very musical.

Jan 7, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

The Wright WPP100C is no longer made; it has been upgraded (??) with the WPP200C. I haven't found the WPP100C on the used market, either - I guess those that purchased it don't want to let it go!

Yup.
icon10.gif

I'm with you guys, I think $600 for an 834P is a pretty good deal. There is another model that has a gain control, but if I remember correctly, it is usually $800+ for a used one.

Heck, jump in that foxhole, we'll all be right behind you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #22 of 24
The lowest of the three EAR 834P phono amps is MM cartridge only, according to EAR's site. Make sure that the one you're looking at has MC capability.

Jan 7, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #23 of 24
Good point, Hirsch. I wasn't aware there were different configurations of the 834P - I thought they were all for MM & MC cartridges - I wondered why you had to pay $300 more for a chrome face plate, never considered that it was probably because the chrome model had more capabilities.
redface.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 24
Actually the standard model without the volume control has a small MM/MC switch on the back. There are a couple of these up on Audiogon right now and they're priced considerably higher than $600!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back