Phono cartridge height issue
Jan 29, 2014 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

terance

1000+ Head-Fier
So my system had a noticeable channel imbalance and I spent many hours trying various things to pinpoint the problem.  I came to the conclusion that it was my turntable after replacing tubes, swapping cables as well as switching the L/R cables.

About a week ago I accidentally left my turntable on with the needle down and the platter spinning for a few days.  I had left the record sleeve on top of the dust cover or I would have most likely noticed this.  It had to have been at least 3 days, but no more than 5 (I hope?).

I'm guessing that the extended time stuck in the catch groove at the end of the record may have messed up the needle.

I replaced stock Ortofon cartridge (table is a Pro-Ject Debut III) with an old Grado cartridge I had lying around (that has a bad needle that needs replacing too).  It seems to have fixed the channel imbalance, but the needle is in rough shape and it doesn't sound too good either.

I'm more worried about the ride height on the Grado cartridge, below is a photo.  Because of the way it is mounted, the bottom of the Grado cartridge is at an angle and is not parallel to the record (parallel orientation is what I have been lead to believe is necessary).

Is this actually an issue, or am I ok with replacing the needle on the Grado and leaving it's orientation as is? (the photo kind of sucks, but hopefully it gets the point across)

Thanks for reading dudes and dudettes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back