Phones for Bruckner/Mahler?
Oct 16, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #16 of 22
I use both the K501s and DT880s. A lot depends what you are really trying to listen for. Mahler's orchestration, for example, might suggest you are looking for instrument separation, a broad and deep soundstage and some crystal clear top (think sleigh bells in the opening to Mahler 4, for example). For me, I would lean to the 501s. For Bruckner's richness in sonority I would lean more towards the 801s. Both will pick up the huge dynamic ranges in these two composers (think if the very end of Mahler 9, for example - Abbado and the BPO are simply amazing in the 9th) so it's really a tough call for me.

I can't vouch for the other recommendations, but when classical music is in the thread title, many of what have been mentioned above come up. Be greatful for a wide choice, but beware of you wallet!

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #17 of 22
I'll put in a kind word for Eymotic ER-4s, whose clarity, accuracy, and stunning immediacy continue to grow on me as the years pass (and I've had these since 1998). I also have a pair of circa 1993 Beyer DT-990s (now with the newer style ear pads), that bring a bit more heft and resonance to big orchestral recordings, but sound a bit muddy in comparison. The sound of the Beyers strike me a bit like having a good seat in the middle of the hall, while the ER-4s strike me as being as close as one can get to having the score directly inside your head.

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #18 of 22
Hey you guys, dont you think that it would be better to propose him HD580 since they are suppose to be real near of the HD600 this way he can get a good amp to power them juice monster? This way later he can upgrade them with grill and cable and have a pair of custom HD600 plus an amp. Just a suggestion.

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge
Hey you guys, dont you think that it would be better to propose him HD580 since they are suppose to be real near of the HD600 this way he can get a good amp to power them juice monster? This way later he can upgrade them with grill and cable and have a pair of custom HD600 plus an amp. Just a suggestion.

agree, get the 580s, they rock

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 22
Can't disagree with the 580's, but I'd also look for some nice used 600's.

Oct 17, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #21 of 22
I had seriously looked at the 580 due to its' more reasonable price, but am continuing to stick with my HD600 plans due in part to the bass responce listed on the HeadRoom graphs.

It seems as though when the organ pipes get longer, the 580 falls shorter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back