'Phones below 10,000Yen in Kobe/Japan - IEM or clip-on, e.g. CK7 or EM7
May 30, 2008 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

james.dk

New Head-Fier
I’m going to Kobe (JP) in end-July. While I’m there, I thought I might as well check out some of the local hardware… So, what should I look out for in the <10,000Yen market for portable ‘phones? I need something that is easily tucked away and has no headband. My instincts tell me that I prefer not to stick stuff deeply into my ears, which is why I use clip-ons at the moment.

I am currently using a puny set of Sony q22’s that probably wouldn’t impress anyone as far as sound quality goes, but I do like the ergonomics of these clip-ons, and the flexible, durable cable they use is actually a big plus for me.
I am going to be using the ‘phones daily for 30-60 minutes at a time, sometimes hours during train rides or flights. I will be using them for exercise, on the street and commuting. I need to be able to hear what’s going on around me in traffic when walking etc (Danes tend to use their ‘phones even while biking – not recommendable to sane people and possibly illegal in some countries, but we do have wide biking lanes everywhere, and bikes are almost as dominant in the cities of Denmark as in NL or China
wink.gif
). On the other hand, I do realize the some of the IEM-earbud hybrids may provide a degree of isolation that can help reduce the volume levels of my music and thereby protect my hearing.
The only kind of behind-the-head ‘phones I could imagine buying would be iGrado, possibly senn PMX100/200. But having tested a couple of well burnt-in PX100, I felt their bass was a little too dominant for my taste.

Personal faves at the moment (just from reading reviews and looking at them) would be Audio-Technicas, since I imagine they should be cheaper in their home country. Also, I understand that they are supposed to be generally more controlled in bass compared the aforementioned PX100’s. I’m thinking ATH-CK7 or EM5, EM700 or similar which should fall within my ~10,000Y budget, depending on possible discounts. I love the look of the EM series, but do the CK’s sound better, or are they just preferred among IEM fanatics?

Should I be looking at other brands?
Is it at all worth it to look for ‘phones in Japan, considering the available options at home? Here’s a list of alternatives, I can get locally. I’ve converted to approximate prices in Yen for comparison:
Beyerdynamic dtx 50~11900Y
iGrado ~9300Y
Denon AH-C351 ~7300Y
Goldring gx200 ~10400Y
Koss KSC 75 ~3700Y

Do any of you brilliant people have any shopping tips re. where to look for ‘phones around Sannomiya or close to the Kobe International Conference Center?

The ‘phones will be used for some classic (guitar and symphonics, mostly), but primarily for artists like Air, Ali Farka Touré, Arcade Fire, Architecture in Helsinki, Arctic Monkeys, BRMC, Björk, Bloc Party, Blonde Redhead, Clash, CSS, Manu Chao, Bowie, Flaming Lips, Franz Ferdinand, Interpol, Ladytron, Leonard Cohen, Lykke Li (check her out on myspace!), Phoenix, Raconteurs, Velvet Underground, Radiohead, Mercury Rev, Yeah Yeah Yeahs. – according to my iPod…

May 30, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 8
It's over your budget, but here is the discussion on the ATH-EC700 that is next on my list of headphones to check out. I'm not sure what other phones are Japan specific as I tended to ignore that end of the market.

May 31, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 8
Around Sannomiya there is mainly Seiden inside the covered walking street off Flower Road, and that has most of the portable ATHs you want. Also Softmap in the Harborland mall (near the Kobe stop on the JR line) has a better line up of headphones, although neither of these 2 are great. A much bigger selection can be found in Osaka's Yodobashi-Umeda store - thats only a 20 minute train trip on the JR line, with the huge store across the road from the Osaka station northern exits. By the way the Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto area is essentially one 12 million person mega city, with Kobe more or less functioning as a gentler (and better dressed) suburb of Osaka.

Pricewise a comparison that is in my mind right now is that you can get the ATH AD200s at Seiden for about 68000 Yen, but online the price is usually about 50000 Yen. Affluent Japan is not a place for finding much in the way of street bargains sorry to say.

If you are looking for earbuds you might consider the Audio-Technica ATH-CM700s - they seem to be rarer outside of Japan. What about the noise cancelling ATH-ANC7s for the plane trip?

May 31, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 8
If you go to some of the big electronics shops like Biccamera, Yodobashi Camera and Sakuraya they have earbuds and headphones on display that you can try.
Trying on (in?) the earbuds might be a bit gross, but if you really want to know what you're getting.....
Also, most of the earbuds have their jack free so you can try them together with your own music.
The headphones don't, but if you ask the staff they'll unplug them for you so you can try.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 8
If you go to some of the big electronics shops like Biccamera, Yodobashi Camera and Sakuraya they have earbuds and headphones on display that you can try.
Trying on (in?) the earbuds might be a bit gross, but if you really want to know what you're getting.....
Also, most of the earbuds have their jack free so you can try them together with your own music.
The headphones don't, but if you ask the staff they'll unplug them for you so you can try.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for your replies, guys. Looks like I'm going to have to try the JR line to Osaka. Wonder if they're open on Sundays...
The EC700's may not be completely out of reach.
What's the tax/duty % in Japan - it appears I can buy duty free when putting down >10000Y after the deduction...

I looked at Yodobashi.com, and there they've got ATH-EM9 models going at 9800Y (if I understand the web page correctly). How would you rate them for sound quality compared to the EC700's?

Are the ATH-CK7 a better option for their price point, considering that I need something which will sit stably in my ear during exercise and transport, and that I like my bass to be defined but not necessarily earth-shaking.

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by james.dk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The EC700's may not be completely out of reach. ...How would you rate them for sound quality compared to the EC700's?

Are the ATH-CK7 a better option for their price point, considering that I need something which will sit stably in my ear during exercise and transport, and that I like my bass to be defined but not necessarily earth-shaking.

I owned the predecessor to the EC700s, the EC7. The design is very activity friendly, the clip system is very comfortable and keeps the buds in place very well. The only downside is the length of the cord(s) which are too long with the extender in place and too short without it unless you're wearing your player clipped to your sleeve or something.

Soundwise, the EC7s were excellent with a very refined signature across all spectrums so I'd expect the EC700s to be even better. They've been my favorite earbud for SQ I've ever tried, only beaten by UE SF5Pros (which are not an earbud).

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by james.dk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your replies, guys. Looks like I'm going to have to try the JR line to Osaka. Wonder if they're open on Sundays...
The EC700's may not be completely out of reach.
What's the tax/duty % in Japan - it appears I can buy duty free when putting down >10000Y after the deduction...

The shops are open on Sundays.
You pay 5% in tax. The tax is included in the displayed price MOST OF THE TIME. I have yet to come across an electronics store where it's not included.
good luck
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back