Phone + Headphones = Bad quality?
Sep 5, 2011 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pragmatick

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right subforum, but I thought the issue is general enough.

I bought a HTC phone (Diamond2) and Shure SE115 headphones. I connect them via a Micro-USB to 3.5mm adapter. The sound quality is abysmal. I don't have the highest standards and expectations, but it just sounds awful.
To test which part is to blame I connected the headphones to my stereo amplifier and had great sound. I connected the phone to the same amplifier and had not so great but still very good sound through the speakers, a lot better than I get from the phone when I listen with the headphones.
So it seems that the phone in connection with the headphones provides bad sound, but separately they're ok. Is there any reason why this might be the case?

Thanks so much!

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 3
Goodness that phone is OLD. Modern smartphones have much better sound quality. 

But to answer your question, the problem lies in your phone's internal amp...which doesn't exist, it's just an integrated connector, and it's not even a standard 3.5mm connector, but a micro-USB. Meaning the phone is not really equipped to drive anything other than the supplied micro-USB headsets. The phone doesn't have sufficient power to drive good earphones well. 

That explains why when you connect your phone to the amp you get better sound, because the amp does a much better job at driving the speakers/earphones than your phone does. 

Upgrade your phone already... HTC phones aren't really known for audio reproduction skills, even the current ones, though they've certainly been improving sound quality. Sony Ericsson, Samsung, and Nokia phones generally have the best sounds, though the other companies are pretty close. And then there's of course the iPhone, which is the most neutral and have great LOD options. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your answer, I suspected that what you describe might be the problem.

I had a really old Sony Ericsson which did a pretty good job audiowise, but the cable connector wouldn't work anymore, so I couldn't plug my earphones in any more. Actually that's why I just bought the phone a month ago used... Hadn't thought it would be a problem, should've gone with a phone with a proper audio jack, I guess that would provide some better audio quality.

Anyway, thanks again, will have to wait till I can afford a better phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back