Phone Fi
Mar 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #363 of 423
Nokia Lumia 800.  Windows phone isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, though the lack of app support is somewhat frustrating.  Will probably grab the next iPhone whenever that comes out.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #367 of 423
Quote:
I was going to get the One but it just looks plain boring and the screen size wise is just passable.

Probably get one just for reviews when it comes out, see if it gives my Xperia Z a run for it's money in any of the test's I usually do.

The Xperia Z actually has a pretty bad screen compared to the SGS3 or the (regular) ONE X It's just bad in terms of brightness and Contrast, the color looks kinda washed out, imho.
Here's a comparison, both phones @ max brightness w/o economic mode turned on.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #369 of 423
HTC One has the best camera in a commercial phone in North America right now I think. o:

Almost makes me regret Nokia hasn't fixed the Lumia 920 post-processing shenanigans. Almost!

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #370 of 423
I've got  Samsung Galaxy S3 with Jellybean 4.1.2 flashed onto it. The S4 looks very nice, although more of an incremental upgrade considering how powerful the S3 already is.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #371 of 423
I'm a big fan of the Galaxy series, but I think HTC and Sony have the better products coming this generation... Then again there's a certain point where comparing the flagship phones is silly at this point; they're all quite powerful and look good so it's all personal preference in the end.

I wish it was feasible for them to be updated as regularly as the Nexus phones. My only gripe with Android is the update frequency and lack of a cohesive identify for the android 'brand' - most people I know don't realise that HTC and Samsung run the same OS.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #372 of 423
Quote:
I'm a big fan of the Galaxy series, but I think HTC and Sony have the better products coming this generation... Then again there's a certain point where comparing the flagship phones is silly at this point; they're all quite powerful and look good so it's all personal preference in the end.

I wish it was feasible for them to be updated as regularly as the Nexus phones. My only gripe with Android is the update frequency and lack of a cohesive identify for the android 'brand' - most people I know don't realise that HTC and Samsung run the same OS.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I used to love HTC but I think they really dropped the ball by going for unibody designs and omitting, in my mind, one of the most crucial points to having an android phone - removable battery and expandable memory. I had the One X and the battery life was pathetic compared to my S3, plus Sense 4 was buggy and laggy as hell. I've never liked Sony phones as I think Sony have lost their way with most of the products they release nowadays. 

A way to get around the lack of cohesive upgrading to the Android OS is to just flash an official ROM onto your device once it's released by the manufacturer. That's what I did with my S3 and it also gets rid of any provider branding. I liked the look of the Nexus 4 but I dislike LCD screens and the lack of expandable memory was really a dealbreaker.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #373 of 423
Quote:
Yeah, I see what you mean. I used to love HTC but I think they really dropped the ball by going for unibody designs and omitting, in my mind, one of the most crucial points to having an android phone - removable battery and expandable memory. I had the One X and the battery life was pathetic compared to my S3, plus Sense 4 was buggy and laggy as hell. I've never liked Sony phones as I think Sony have lost their way with most of the products they release nowadays. 

A way to get around the lack of cohesive upgrading to the Android OS is to just flash an official ROM onto your device once it's released by the manufacturer. That's what I did with my S3 and it also gets rid of any provider branding. I liked the look of the Nexus 4 but I dislike LCD screens and the lack of expandable memory was really a dealbreaker.

I agree RE: HTC and Sony's efforts are improving since they separated from Ericsson.

I really enjoy the stock Android OS (I'm not a huge fan of any of the custom UI options from HTC, Sony or Samsung, though I could probably live with it if I had to) and the stock android ROMs put out by the dev community don't ever seem to work as smoothly as a Nexus device (closed source drivers etc being the issue)

I like both AMOLED and LCD screens, although I'd have to say I prefer an accurate LCD screen over an over saturated AMOLED.

The only improvements to the Nexus 4 I'd like to see would be expandable storage options (although it won't happen) removable battery and a better camera.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #374 of 423
Quote:
I agree RE: HTC and Sony's efforts are improving since they separated from Ericsson.

I really enjoy the stock Android OS (I'm not a huge fan of any of the custom UI options from HTC, Sony or Samsung, though I could probably live with it if I had to) and the stock android ROMs put out by the dev community don't ever seem to work as smoothly as a Nexus device (closed source drivers etc being the issue)

I like both AMOLED and LCD screens, although I'd have to say I prefer an accurate LCD screen over an over saturated AMOLED.

The only improvements to the Nexus 4 I'd like to see would be expandable storage options (although it won't happen) removable battery and a better camera.

Yeah, the Nexus line-up is good but I think Samsung probably made the best Nexus devices. I did like the stock android on a Galaxy Nexus I tried a while back but I don't think Touchwiz intrudes too much as it's such a simple UI compared to Sense. I'm hoping Google hands back the reigns to Samsung for the next Nexus phone.

The one thing I dislike about LCD's is the lack of contrast - sometimes colours can look washed out and blacks look too light. LCD's are much better in sunlight as you can barely see an AMOLED screen in the sun.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #375 of 423
Quote:
Yeah, the Nexus line-up is good but I think Samsung probably made the best Nexus devices. I did like the stock android on a Galaxy Nexus I tried a while back but I don't think Touchwiz intrudes too much as it's such a simple UI compared to Sense. I'm hoping Google hands back the reigns to Samsung for the next Nexus phone.

The one thing I dislike about LCD's is the lack of contrast - sometimes colours can look washed out and blacks look too light. LCD's are much better in sunlight as you can barely see an AMOLED screen in the sun.

I'm waiting to see what Motorola brings to the table after their pre-google pipeline empties.

I thought HTC toned Sense down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back