Phone Fi
Mar 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #376 of 423
Quote:
I'm waiting to see what Motorola brings to the table after their pre-google pipeline empties.

I thought HTC toned Sense down?

I think they have with the new HTC One, although it took them long enough to refine it. I guess I'm partial to Samsung now cos they're kinda like the nerd android phone in that they added extra support for USB OTG and USB audio & seem to invest a lot in functionality like that. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #378 of 423
Quote:
I like the Samsung phones too; although I'm not a huge fan of their styling.

If I had LTE available to me in my area I would have gone for an S3 over the N4

Yeah, I think LTE is too young at the moment in Australia to be worth investing in. Especially since battery life suffers so greatly from using 4G. I reckon in a year or so battery tech will be better and coverage will be wider so 4G will be a viable option.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #381 of 423
All I can tell you is I never have any lag swiping through screens, opening menus is snappy and apps load quickly. Using the N4 is very fluid. Whether the 2GB is overkill or not, I really can't say.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #383 of 423
Quote:

The XZ makes the SGS3 look like a toy in comparison, the screens are not as bad as people who say it to be and I own both. The SGS3's amoled makes the colour look really fake, which again is one of the bad things of AMOLED is that it does not make the colours look natural and pixel for pixel in comparison to a qhd display, it is dimmer. The One X has the best display on the android market not in terms of crisp display, ppi but in terms of colour and the contrast. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #384 of 423
Quote:
The XZ makes the SGS3 look like a toy in comparison, the screens are not as bad as people who say it to be and I own both. The SGS3's amoled makes the colour look really fake, which again is one of the bad things of AMOLED is that it does not make the colours look natural and pixel for pixel in comparison to a qhd display, it is dimmer. The One X has the best display on the android market not in terms of crisp display, ppi but in terms of colour and the contrast. 

There is a natural tone setting, and a couple of others, for the display of the GS3 which makes it look more LCD-like in that it looks washed out. No other android phone I have used offers these display settings.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #385 of 423
Quote:
There is a natural tone setting, and a couple of others, for the display of the GS3 which makes it look more LCD-like in that it looks washed out. No other android phone I have used offers these display settings.

That's really cool, I had no idea that it had that feature... I disliked the over-saturated colours on my GNexus and used to use franco's kernel to tone them down a touch 

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #386 of 423
Quote:

Yeah unfortunately my own cooked ROM don't have any of those advanced display options. I use the N4 and GS3 for developing ROM's and experimenting. The display on GS3 is still something I really dislike about the phone, ever since Samsung started using AMOLED since the GS1.

Awesome... two more Aussies in this thread besides myself. 
size]

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #387 of 423
Quote:
That's really cool, I had no idea that it had that feature... I disliked the over-saturated colours on my GNexus and used to use franco's kernel to tone them down a touch 

Yeah, it's features like that I like about the GS3. They added a lot of extra software features over the stock android ones. Page buddy and multi-window are pretty good too. I'm just hanging out for an official 4.2 ROM to be released as that will add those cool eye-scrolling and gesture navigating features that the SG4 touts.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #388 of 423
Quote:

Yeah unfortunately my own cooked ROM don't have any of those advanced display options. I use the N4 and GS3 for developing ROM's and experimenting. The display on GS3 is still something I really dislike about the phone, ever since Samsung started using AMOLED since the GS1.

Awesome... two more Aussies in this thread besides myself. 
size]

I have a HTC Desire Z, SGS2, Galaxy Nexus and now a Nexus 4 - so far the Nexus 4 is the only one I haven't felt the need to modify in some way (I've still played around with some ROMs and kernels though)

Quote:
Yeah, it's features like that I like about the GS3. They added a lot of extra software features over the stock android ones. Page buddy and multi-window are pretty good too. I'm just hanging out for an official 4.2 ROM to be released as that will add those cool eye-scrolling and gesture navigating features that the SG4 touts.

Multi-window looks quite useful, I wonder if anything is available for my Nexus 7

My next phone will probably be a Samsung Galaxy 4 or the next Nexus phone depending on who google selects to manufacture the Nexus next

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #389 of 423
Quote:

I have a HTC Desire Z, SGS2, Galaxy Nexus and now a Nexus 4 - so far the Nexus 4 is the only one I haven't felt the need to modify in some way (I've still played around with some ROMs and kernels though)

Multi-window looks quite useful, I wonder if anything is available for my Nexus 7

My next phone will probably be a Samsung Galaxy 4 or the next Nexus phone depending on who google selects to manufacture the Nexus next

Yeah, I want to get the S4 but don't know if I can justify that purchase as I have only had my S3 for about 5 months. I wonder what the S3 resell value will be like once the S4 arrives.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #390 of 423
Quote:
Yeah, I want to get the S4 but don't know if I can justify that purchase as I have only had my S3 for about 5 months. I wonder what the S3 resell value will be like once the S4 arrives.

I've had my Nexus 4 for just over 5 months too, but it was only $350 and I should be able to get most of that back if I sell it :)

S4 seems like just an incremental upgrade over the S3 though, are there some new features I'm missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back