Phone Fi
Jun 7, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #152 of 423
Well Tbaytel is Rogers now, they just brand everything as Tbaytel for some reason. But I got it from Teleco in ThunderBay, the Tbaytel store is completely useless and you really don't want to go in there :p Unless you like standing in line for 30 minutes and talking to a bunch of overpaid and undereducated salespeople. I'm not sure if Rogers has the same plan, I'd imagine they do though. Since Tbaytel's student plan was different before they merged. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #154 of 423
If the article I read is true, that will be the last Nokia I would consider purchasing. 

It comes with Meego, the replacement for the N900's Maemo OS.

All future smartphones from Nokia are slated to be running Windows Phone 7. That is a dealbreaker for me. I loved my N900. If Meego were going to be around longer, I would be down for an N9.... But it seems to be a last hurrah for awesome smartphone software. Maemo still impresses me with the features it supports. Meego was something I was really looking forward to.

Guess the closest thing I will find on the market will be Android phones. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #158 of 423

Quote:
Guess the closest thing I will find on the market will be Android phones. 

You'd be surprised. All the devs and designers I know in the mobile space rank WP7 as better than Android with a more exciting future of possibilities. Personally, if I wasn't going to stick with iOS I'd either look for WP7 or WebOS. I've played around rather extensively with Android and I've never been impressed. Even with similar specs to the iOS hardware the Android gear just always feels sluggish and buggy.

I still think it works like this:
 - The best mobile OS on the market is iOS because of it's speed, stability and security.
 - The best mobile OS on the market for the ability to tweak and customize is Android since most Android phones allow you full access to everything.
 - The mobile OS with the best chance to really push the space is WP7 because it gets feels like someone said, "Supposing we had to start from scratch in the mobile space..." where everyone else feels like, "Taking what we know from desktops..."
 - The mobile OS that really stands a chance of being great is WebOS.
 - Best example of how not to do a mobile OS is everything RIM does. At this point anyone who buys a Blackberry is doing so knowing their phone is the best at nothing and behind in every single way. Worse hardware, battery, OS, software, security, speed, stability... Everything.

If I were ranking the mobile OS's I'd say it went iOS (for now), Android, WP7, WebOS, everything other mobile OS anyone's ever made and then BBOS.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #159 of 423
i have a htc legend and a ipod touch 4th gen, and i can honestly say that i prefer android over ios. ios can never match android in terms of customisability  and looks. although i do not do much web browsing on both devices, the flash capabilities of android certainly enables me to see everything on the web page. (the idevices are more than capable of flash but flash compatibility was never included and unlikely to be included in the near future)

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #161 of 423
I personally like Android better since it provides more customization features along with the ability to be able to flash completely custom ROM's onto your phone.

I've been flashing custom ROMs onto my droid since I got it in the hopes that it would make Android, well, good.

Thus far it hasn't.

Jun 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #162 of 423

Quote:
i have a htc legend and a ipod touch 4th gen, and i can honestly say that i prefer android over ios. ios can never match android in terms of customisability  and looks. although i do not do much web browsing on both devices, the flash capabilities of android certainly enables me to see everything on the web page. (the idevices are more than capable of flash but flash compatibility was never included and unlikely to be included in the near future)

It's actually a running gag in the design community that if you have an app with an iOS version and an Android version, the Android version will always be uglier. You can find articles were people compare iOS apps to Android apps. Trust me, when it comes to aesthetics, Android has a lot of work to do. And that's a professional's opinion.

And as for Flash... Yeah, I know people keep making a big deal out of it. I've had my iPhone for a number of months now and have only come across one page that was full-Flash and didn't provide an HTML-version. Most sites provide special support for iOS now and there's a reason why: Flash on mobile sucks. It's laggy, it's unstable, it's just one big problem. As someone who actually used to build flash websites I can tell you every criticism Jobs leveled at Flash was legitimate. I do love how Adobe came back with, "We're open!"

It's kind of true, in a way. Flash is an open-standard which means anyone who's willing to pay can implement it. I just love how the Android crowd, which is pretty vocal about how people should drop H.264 for WebM because H.264 is licensed, all seem to proclaim how awesome Flash is and how everyone should have it.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #164 of 423

Quote:
Replaced my Nexus One with an HTC Sensation 4G.  It lives up to the hype :wink:

I love the Nexus One, to bad it wasnt on Verizon when i upgraded. Do you still have it?

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #165 of 423

Quote:
I love the Nexus One, to bad it wasnt on Verizon when i upgraded. Do you still have it?

I threw it on Ebay this week.  I've sent you a PM.  If you get it, I'll knock off shipping for a fellow Head-fi-er.

EDIT: Nevermind, Ebay killed the auction for unknown reasons, so I just sold it on XDA.  Ebay's ridiculousness never ceases to amaze me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back