Phone compatible IEM/Buds - Mic Quality
May 11, 2011 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LJ50

Head-Fier
All,

I'm a very happy owner of the Westone UM2s, with custom moulds. Fantastic IEMs, the moulds just make them even better.  However, during the working day I spent a lot of time on my phone and so need a secondary set of buds or IEMs for making calls. I've tried a few options but one thing seems to consistently let them down, that is the quality of the inline microphone.

I have tried a few options and below are my thoughts (in case anyone is interested!)

NuForce NE7 - Decent sounding IEMs, I never been able to find anything in the available selection of tips that are a really good fit. Had them two years and unfortunately the left ear is starting to "crackle".  Their big drawback always was the fit, but the microphone wasn't great either. People sometimes complained that I sounded muffled and that there seemed to be interference. I've tested this and the complaints are true. The person I got to test using them, with me on the other end, usually uses the cheap included Blackberry buds and sounds clear. On the NuForce it was muffled.

Meelectronics M9-P - Again, tip selection not great, but IEMs themselves sound really good, better than the NuForce. Microphone is however really, really poor. About a third of calls have the person on the other end complaining about being able to hear themselves back (loudly!) and also they complain about lack of clarity in hearing me. Again, I've tested this in a similar was to the NuForce and the person using the M9-P's was actually very difficult to hear, certainly much worse when compared to their Blackberry buds.

I did have a set of Shure SE310s with the Shure inline mic. The mic was a lot clearer that the other two I've mentioned, but did suffer from microphonics. Needless to say, the Shure cables split after a couple of years of use, and since then they've been sat in a drawer. If I could find a good place to get them recabled then I would probably use this combo for using with the phone as the Shure Olive tips are a great fit.

The Joker's thread regarding the various options is absolutely fantastic, but is missing this critical factor in phone-compatible earphones.

Can anyone recommend something with a really good quality microphone?

Thanks
LJ

May 12, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I use Meelec CW31P and haven't had any issues or complaints

Thanks. Useful to hear. To be honest I'd pretty much ruled out the Meelec range due to the fit issues and my fear that the microphone quality would be a consistent feature.

May 12, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 6
I couldn't get a good fit with NE-7M for the life of me.  The CW31P are very different shape.  Don't go in as far as most iem. I think Clieos has a good review that talks about fit.

I've been able to wear for several hours at a time with no issues.  My dad has CW31P too and we have both been on headset with no issues.

I think Meelec's 'C' series is their higher quality line

good luck.

May 12, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #5 of 6
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551735/like-the-playaz-n3-xears-have-the-brand-new-nature-n3i

A great deal here.  If you use the coupon you can get them for 25 euros instead of 60.

May 22, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 6
I'm still looking. Have read every review of every mic'd IEM I can find and still can't make up my mind, although I am tending towards upping my budget and going for the Etymotic MC3 or even further for their HF3.

Fit being so important, the Etymotic compatibility with the Shure Olive is a huge plus and from what I've read the call clarity of the microphone is good too.

I really can't emphasise how important the microphone quality is to me. I spend 4-6 hours a day on the phone, so being able to be heard clearly is essential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back