Phone + Chord Mojo vs DAP Alone
Jul 29, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #16 of 39
Yea, its bummer how the EMI/RF could simply spoil the otherwise great listening experience. Now keep in mind though, if you experienced EMI/RF issues with the Mojo, chances are you might experience the same with other DACs as well. I’d suggest asking about the issue in the respective DAC, before making a move.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #17 of 39
Just as a data point, I have been deliberately taking a Mojo and some HD-25s on super crowded London commuter trains recently, with the Mojo lashed directly to my phone. These trains are seriously ramming, sometimes there isn't even safe standing room, and there's an incredibly high density of phone users to be found, with most people poking blearily at their mobile for the majority of the journey.

I have yet to hear a peep of RFI issues in this situation. Now, it might be that the 3g/4g adoption is extremely high over here (it's mostly 2g that causes the worst problems), so that could skew things, but still, this is one of the most phone-dense environments that you're likely to see.

Just for the hell of it, I will also try running the Mojo with a pair of IEMs (I think I have some Shure 215 with me somewhere today), and hopefully report back if I notice anything. I did used to have problems in the past, with a little handbuilt amp that I used to run on an iPod Touch, but I haven't noticed much of the characteristic polling sounds recently- so watch this space. The Mojo isn't made of magic, and it's possible that problems can arise, but it's worth trying it out.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #18 of 39
Yea, I've also read that about the 2G. But I get the noise with 4G too. Don't know why. Apparently there are other factors that impact this, such as the signal strength. When the network signal is weak, our phones tend to maximize its radiation in order to stay connected to the network. And I think because of that reason, I hear only occasional EMI/RF noise when I am at home, as I have a good reception, but the noise is unbearable when I am at my office as the reception is not too good. It so happens that, I do 90% of my listening at office so Phone+Mojo is a no go for me.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #20 of 39
  I'm going to buy the mojo but ..... how come nobody answers me?

I am sorry that your question was not answered until now. You can ask the reviewer in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806343/comparison-noble-k10-vs-rhapsodio-solar-vs-rhapsodio-galaxy-vs-lime-ears-aether-and-onkyo-dp-x1-vs-chord-mojo-vs-fiio-x7

He might be able to give you a better answer as he seemed to have tried both. But just to clarify, you are asking which would be better, Just DP-X1 or the Galaxy S3+Mojo combo right?

If you were asking which device between DP-X1 and Galaxy S3 pairs better with the Mojo, the answer is, there won’t be any difference as both are android devices and you will be feeding the mojo with the same type of digital signal and it is the Mojo that will do the conversion. BUT, given that Galaxy S3 is a phone and it will be connected to the cellular network, chances are you will hear the RF/EMI noise. And just for that reason, DP-X1 will be a better transport for the Mojo as it only has WiFi.

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #21 of 39

I am sorry that your question was not answered until now. You can ask the reviewer in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806343/comparison-noble-k10-vs-rhapsodio-solar-vs-rhapsodio-galaxy-vs-lime-ears-aether-and-onkyo-dp-x1-vs-chord-mojo-vs-fiio-x7

He might be able to give you a better answer as he seemed to have tried both. But just to clarify, you are asking which would be better, Just DP-X1 or the Galaxy S3+Mojo combo right?

If you were asking which device between DP-X1 and Galaxy S3 pairs better with the Mojo, the answer is, there won’t be any difference as both are android devices and you will be feeding the mojo with the same type of digital signal and it is the Mojo that will do the conversion. BUT, given that Galaxy S3 is a phone and it will be connected to the cellular network, chances are you will hear the RF/EMI noise. And just for that reason, DP-X1 will be a better transport for the Mojo as it only has WiFi.

thanks you have been very kind, I took dp x1 but with rock music sound has no body and thickness I expected, I thought s3 + mojo is better.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #22 of 39
  Yea, I've also read that about the 2G. But I get the noise with 4G too. Don't know why. Apparently there are other factors that impact this, such as the signal strength. When the network signal is weak, our phones tend to maximize its radiation in order to stay connected to the network. And I think because of that reason, I hear only occasional EMI/RF noise when I am at home, as I have a good reception, but the noise is unbearable when I am at my office as the reception is not too good. It so happens that, I do 90% of my listening at office so Phone+Mojo is a no go for me.

Oh, good point, I didn't consider that. If it's your own phone causing the problem, and it's all on your desk, have you considered a longer USB cable? Some people have reported that a ferrite choke on the cable helps, too- which implies that the cable itself could be implicated, mind.. so longer could be a mixed blessing. Hmm.. still going to try the IEMs-on-a-train thing, though- lots of cuttings where the signal drops off!

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #23 of 39
Well if the Mojo gets interference while the Q1 doesn't, doesn't that make the Q1 the better audio experience in balance? :rolleyes:

And the Q1 can take USB digital input just like the Mojo :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #24 of 39
But does the Q1 have balls that change colors that we can play with? 
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #25 of 39
Oh balls nope :eek: :ph34r:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 29, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #26 of 39

Oh, good point, I didn't consider that. If it's your own phone causing the problem, and it's all on your desk, have you considered a longer USB cable? Some people have reported that a ferrite choke on the cable helps, too- which implies that the cable itself could be implicated, mind.. so longer could be a mixed blessing. Hmm.. still going to try the IEMs-on-a-train thing, though- lots of cuttings where the signal drops off!

Interesting point. I performed a little experiment. 

First I used the USB cable that came with the Mojo to connect my iPhone 6 and there was a lot of noise. Regardless of whether I placed the phone close to the mojo or the farthest apart. Then there was another cable, which was longer, but the noise I got on this cable was, noticeably less frequent than what I got from the bundled cable, even if I placed the Mojo next to my phone. Then I connected my Mojo to the PC and placed my phone right next to it and the RF/EMI wasn't that frequent. That led me to believe that, connecting the Mojo to my phone would always have RF/EMI while in my office. So I just use my PC or Fiio X3ii to feed my Mojo. I haven't tried a ferrite choke as I am not too particular to use my phone as I don't stream much.

Jul 29, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #28 of 39

Interesting point. I performed a little experiment. 

First I used the USB cable that came with the Mojo to connect my iPhone 6 and there was a lot of noise. Regardless of whether I placed the phone close to the mojo or the farthest apart. Then there was another cable, which was longer, but the noise I got on this cable was, noticeably less frequent than what I got from the bundled cable, even if I placed the Mojo next to my phone. Then I connected my Mojo to the PC and placed my phone right next to it and the RF/EMI wasn't that frequent. That led me to believe that, connecting the Mojo to my phone would always have RF/EMI while in my office. So I just use my PC or Fiio X3ii to feed my Mojo. I haven't tried a ferrite choke as I am not too particular to use my phone as I don't stream much.

Oh, weird, that's annoying.. 

I tried wearing some IEMs (Shure 215) on busy commuter trains home tonight, approx 1hr journey on two different trains. The Mojo was plugged into my Nexus 6 which was always either 3G or 4G (I don't think my network even supports 2G) and there wasn't a peep, even listening hard to quiet songs at a reasonable volume. I was using this fairly humble cable for USB duty, and was unable to reproduce the sort of problems that you have had.

Oh well, it sounds like you have it covered anyway, and will still be able to listen to your Mojo relatively happy. It's a shame it wasn't good with your phone, though.

Edit:

I spoke too soon, that will teach me to be smug! Three was being quite ropey today, so my phone was cranking the radio gain hard, and I did get a couple of little peeps in my IEMs- once between tall banks of earth on the train, and once in the lift. I was using a super-short USB cable though. I might try throwing a ferrite choke on one to see if it has any bearing on the situation.

Aug 1, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #29 of 39
I think using Mojo with phone is very uncomfortable. You can think "it will be fine" but it won't be. It will get you mad :)

Take Onkyo/Pioneer or FiiO X7. But if the streaming wouldn't be necessary I would recomment other DAPs :)

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #30 of 39
  I think using Mojo with phone is very uncomfortable. You can think "it will be fine" but it won't be. It will get you mad :)

Take Onkyo/Pioneer or FiiO X7. But if the streaming wouldn't be necessary I would recomment other DAPs :)

You're definitely not wrong. I've been testing out the Mojo for a few days (still returnable) and have not yet decided. The sound is great but as you said definitely a bit clunky to carry around, as small as it is compared to other options out there.

Any idea if the Oppo HA-2 would be easier to carry around? And if there is really a $300 difference in sound quality? That seems to be the leading alternative.

Appreciate the feedback with the DAP, still not sure about that idea though and will give it more thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back