Phonak PFE vs. Monster Turbines
Feb 24, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #31 of 64
i agree with headphoneaddict abt the cable probs.. i really want to buy the pfe but its only this slight bass lack thats stopping me from going out and gettin it right now.. Or rather ordering it right now..

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #33 of 64
Don't have too much to add here, lots of good discussion and insights.

Again, the key thing is that there are really really good choices at the $150 level that just didn't exist even a year ago. Makes me wonder how IEMs will keep improving (but then I thought the same thing last year...).

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #34 of 64
Yeah, with the black filters and some EQing the PFEs definately aren't light on bass, the bass is just very quick and precise, maybe not so punchy, which is why I am moving to some dynamics. The bass is there, and there is plenty of it, it just doesn't have that extra 'oomph' that the dynamics have, and I think that I will get a fuller sound out of the dynamics (Atrios in my case) than the phonaks, which are full but not as full in the lower end. That being said, i haven't heard them amped yet.
Also, with some sources, notably my iMac, the sound is very bright and can get fatiguing, especially when listening for 5 hours hehe.
Out of my 1st gen touch the sound is a bit darker and more listen-able, and with the bass boost EQ, the sound is good for most things besides the distortion.

EDIT: There is a large chance I might keep both the atrios and the phonaks.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #36 of 64
You beat me, ugh...and congrats!

This weekend for sure.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #37 of 64
And well-written, fair, and balanced review also. Nice job!

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #38 of 64
I dont have SE 530 or such high end phones. What do you make of Shure E4C and PFE in their bass department? I love E4C's smooth and present vocal mid highs, but not quite with its so so bass. Well controlled, but lacking quantity and extent to me.

Can Turbine mid/high detail match E4C? If that so I will go the Turbine way without think twice.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #39 of 64
I may be going on a limb, but the Turbines add to both the bass (obviously) and even the treble extension of the E4c, but does not quite match the midrange. Now, to me the Shure = midrange, which usually is good but can also become fatiguing (not always the case, but the Turbines can last longer in my ears than any of the Shures). To me the Turbines balance the E4c and even surpass the SE530 in some circumstances.

I can't compare the E4c to the PFE, but I am pleasantly surprised with the Turbine and would not hesitate to recommend it to an E4c user.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #40 of 64
i find them to be very balanced with low density foamies like ety. with the likes of complies, they are muffled. again, with ety foamies, just take out the plastic or rubber insert and snip to a good length and you will get some damn good treble, a slightly lessened bass, better stage and well, i just prefer them that way but again, ymmv: my ears hear it differently probably than others.

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #43 of 64
you can but you would have to take out the plastic retaining ring. they also might need to be clipped short but that has yet to be proven. the size is the fatter sony/victor/panasonic/sennheiser/ultimate ears size that is most prevalent around the world.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #44 of 64
How is the isolation using the various tips on the Turbines? The fact that they don't go deep into the ear has kept me from trying them. Good bass and lots of isolation are important to me (long international flights).

I tried the PFEs but they were very disappointing and are getting returned quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back