Phonak PFE for trance/drum & bass?
Feb 6, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, the reason the pfe's are getting slapped with the FotM label is because there are so many people strongly advocating for them who expressly admit that they have not actually heard them. This is the head-fi equivalent of a party foul.

Allegations of giant killing and fanatic praise, particularly from those with no personal knowledge, are guaranteed to breed distrust among the more discerning/analytic members of this community. I will have no issue whatsoever though if you want to come back and declare the naysayers "simply wrong" after you have actually listened to your pfe's... Submitting your CC info online and clicking "purchase" does not constitute listening.

Understand what you are saying, but so far, the naysayers also are people who haven't heard them. At least as far as I can tell, which was Rob's point, I believe. No, I think it goes beyond people who don't own them touting them. I believe the FoTM tag also is derived from, ahem, skeptics who don't believe they are as good as people who have actually listened to them say they are. In some cases, those skeptics are the same folks who say that Shure, Ety, UE, Senn and Westone (and one or two others) are the only real companies one should look to when shopping for an IEM.

Example: Average_Joe owned them, sold them for his preference of the IE8s, but I just read a post where he says the PFEs are definitely not a FoTM-type product. He has credibility because he owned them. There have been others who have labeled the PFEs flavor of the month regardless of whether they own them or not.

I have no gripe with someone who buys the PFEs, tries them, and says, "Man, those Phonaks are nothing but a FoTM." That's cool with me. So it cuts both ways, is my point.

Oh, and can you define "party foul." Not a term I am familiar with.

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Understand what you are saying, but so far, the naysayers also are people who haven't heard them. At least as far as I can tell, which was Rob's point, I believe. No, I think it goes beyond people who don't own them touting them. I believe the FoTM tag also is derived from, ahem, skeptics who don't believe they are as good as people who have actually listened to them say they are. In some cases, those skeptics are the same folks who say that Shure, Ety, UE, Senn and Westone (and one or two others) are the only real companies one should look to when shopping for an IEM.

Example: Average_Joe owned them, sold them for his preference of the IE8s, but I just read a post where he says the PFEs are definitely not a FoTM-type product. He has credibility because he owned them. There have been others who have labeled the PFEs flavor of the month regardless of whether they own them or not.

I have no gripe with someone who buys the PFEs, tries them, and says, "Man, those Phonaks are nothing but a FoTM." That's cool with me. So it cuts both ways, is my point.

Oh, and can you define "party foul." Not a term I am familiar with.

I agree with almost all of this - and in fact, after following the various phonak threads I have come to believe that they probably are as good as they are reported to be. Nonetheless, it seems a truism that it is always prudent to apply a bit of skepticism to any and all claims of "giant killing" posted by anonymous third parties on the net - particularly in the arena of audio forums replete with hyperbole. Grounds for skepticism are further heightened by the likelihood that numerous companies almost certainly have paid representatives stationed on head-fi who are employed to stimulate demand for their products.

I wasn't intending to defend anyone denigrating the pfe's as a mere FotM - particularly if they have not heard them. Pronouncing judgment (good or bad) absent personal experience is always a problem as I see it.

With respect to my reference to "party foul" - here is the urban dictionary definition: Urban Dictionary: party foul

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Honestly, the reason the pfe's are getting slapped with the FotM label is because there are so many people strongly advocating for them who expressly admit that they have not actually heard them. This is the head-fi equivalent of a party foul.

Allegations of giant killing and fanatic praise, particularly from those with no personal knowledge, are guaranteed to breed distrust among the more discerning/analytic members of this community. I will have no issue whatsoever though if you want to come back and declare the naysayers "simply wrong" after you have actually listened to your pfe's... Submitting your CC info online and clicking "purchase" does not constitute listening.

That's how I felt about the NE-7m. Do you agree that they are a FOTM phone?

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's how I felt about the NE-7m. Do you agree that they are a FOTM phone?

I can understand why the label might be applied to them. I'll factor in the comparisons to phones costing 3x-4x as much, the subsequent hype, some posters undoubtedly recommending them absent personal experience, and then a handful of posters emerging who really did not care for them ... Admittedly, we haven't seen a similar group of dissenters with respect to the phonaks to date.

Yet I still think that the modest price and the full bodied, relatively detailed, decently wide staged, dynamic driver sound sig with that resonant bottom end, will keep the 7m's relevant for a while to come. Iphone fever also gives them a convenience lure via the mic/pause buttom. While I recognize that opinions (and preferences as to sound sig) differ, I am still really enjoying my 7m's and will happily stand by my positive comments. Until they are supplanted by some other $50 offering garnering similar hype, I don't see the 7m threads falling off the map. So no, at the end of the day, I would not agree that they are a FotM, although I can very well see why some might think so.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

I can understand why the label might be applied to them. I'll factor in the comparisons to phones costing 3x-4x as much, the subsequent hype, some posters undoubtedly recommending them absent personal experience, and then a handful of posters emerging who really did not care for them ... Admittedly, we haven't seen a similar group of dissenters with respect to the phonaks to date.

There have been a few Phonak dissenters but admittedly not as vocal
wink.gif

However, The Phonak are really that good. I would be the first to have vocally complained if they weren't.

Quote:

Yet I still think that the modest price and the full bodied, relatively detailed, decently wide staged, dynamic driver sound sig with that resonant bottom end, will keep the 7m's relevant for a while to come. Iphone fever also gives them a convenience lure via the mic/pause buttom. While I recognize that opinions (and preferences as to sound sig) differ, I am still really enjoying my 7m's and will happily stand by my positive comments. Until they are supplanted by some other $50 offering garnering similar hype, I don't see the 7m threads falling off the map. So no, at the end of the day, I would not agree that they are a FotM, although I can very well see why some might think so.

There is no doubt that the NE-7m offer tremendous value for the price. I have steered people their way if they needed a pair for their iPhone or iPod touch 2G.

However, If they cost $125 would you buy the NE-7m. I wouldn't.

The deal with the Phonaks is they sound like no other phone out there. at least in my experience. They are a very impressive Balanced Armature design.

The NE-7m offers what a lot of dynamic phones can in terms of quality that are inherent in their driver type. They are well made. The next leap for dynamic driver phones seem to be the ie8.

The Phonak can produce deeper cleaner bass than most BA phones, even triple driver models. Sound detailed and pleasing at the same time. They are just a joy to listen to and I haven't even wanted to try my Shure SCL4 even for fun since I got the Phonak. I for a few seconds considered putting the SCL4 on but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

If the Phonak had been priced at $250-$300 I think they would still garner the same amount of praise. To me that is what differentiates the NE-7m "value" vs the Phonak "value"

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #21 of 30
After reading these boards for several months, I'm not sure I can get over this earphone obsession before hearing the Sleeks and the Phonaks.

As long as we're talking about FOTM, one good example was the SoundMagic PL30. That was totally FOTM, although it's probably hard to beat for $20. In contrast, the Yuins are definitely not FOTM -- kind of like the KSC75's, they stand the test of time. Speaking of which, I think I need to get a pair of PK3's for the office.

Feb 7, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoever is saying this is simply wrong. I should get mine in next week. These haven't been overhyped at all compared to the usual suspects.

Considering the price and what these are competing against, I'd say they are more of a giant killer. I haven't heard any negatives with anyone dissapointed which is very unusual. They may not be the best out there, but unlike the FOTM IEMs, no one is stating that they are.

lol

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #23 of 30
I listen mainly to female vocal trance, and I like the PFEs a lot!

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #24 of 30
Yep the pfe's are just like the er4's in terms of clarity, speed and details but with tight and punchy bass, best of both worlds.
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't find these to be very comfortable but the sound while sealed is great.

PFEs uncomfortable? In what way? Just curious, cause aside from dfkt's mention of something bumping his ear in his Anythingbutipod review, no one else seems to have a problem with comfort? It does take some futzing around with the placement, especially using the foamies. Interested to hear your take.

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #28 of 30
Speaking of trance, I am listening to this with my PFEs.

In terms of sound and comfort, I think I prefer them OVER my Sennheiser HD-595s!!!

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PFEs uncomfortable? In what way? Just curious, cause aside from dfkt's mention of something bumping his ear in his Anythingbutipod review, no one else seems to have a problem with comfort? It does take some futzing around with the placement, especially using the foamies. Interested to hear your take.

don't know about him (assuming andrew is a him), but these really aren't best iem's in terms of comfort. klipsch's custom-series is the best out of the ones i've tried.

can't really pinpoint what exactly makes me think that way, but it's just a general feel...

defintely not perfect fit imho

but the sq more than makes up for it
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back