Phonak Audeo?
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #526 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Phonak PFE sounds more like open cans than IEMs. I was listening and then thought that they sounded a like better versions of the Koss KSC75(The only open headphone other than the PX100 in my collection).

I think Phonak nailed the open ear compensation with the filters if that is what they set out to do.

As I said before, I find the PFEs to be nearly as good or as good as my HD595s.

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #527 of 2,281
The HD650 is my reference. Before I bought the PA, my ER4 was my reference IEM. The ER4 is very detailed yet so very unforgiving, unlike the HD650. Even so, the HD650 remains my favorite for most listening.

What I find to sound nearly perfect for my tastes with the HD650, the PA follows and perfects some of those qualities.

Deep bass with both but tighter & faster with the PA.
Mids aren't recessed with either and remain warm enough to give even lower quality recordings a chance.
Treble that is never harsh or sibilant yet extends far enough so that I don't feel either is rolled-off.

The wider sound stage with the PA compared to ER4 is a huge step for me when it comes to being able to put the PA in the ring with HD650. Of course it is very difficult to compare IEMs to full size cans but here I am and I like what I'm hearing.

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #528 of 2,281
You guys aren't making the wait very easy for me with all this high praise. Mine come next Thurs
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #529 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys aren't making the wait very easy for me with all this high praise. Mine come next Thurs
tongue.gif

Oh man! That's a long time, it's gonna seem like forever.
evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif
lol

I'm waiting for the inevitable party crasher to come in here and trash the Phonak.

...that would be very foolish
very_evil_smiley.gif
I would crack their head with my YoTank.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #530 of 2,281
Agree, I am waiting for the inevitable trashing. I don't think many Head-Fi'ers own them yet (or may never). There is a small group of believers, and it seems many of the people who use the top-tier phones are ignoring the Phonaks. No big deal, of course. But I an wondering when the negative comments will get posted. So far, haven't seen any.

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #533 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree, I am waiting for the inevitable trashing. I don't think many Head-Fi'ers own them yet (or may never). There is a small group of believers, and it seems many of the people who use the top-tier phones are ignoring the Phonaks. No big deal, of course. But I an wondering when the negative comments will get posted. So far, haven't seen any.

If someone trashes these I would guess they don't own them, don't have a good seal, or don't like a balanced sound signature. Obviously it could be anything, but these are just so good in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Team Phonak Audéo PFE

beerchug.gif

Just joined also!

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #534 of 2,281
I placed my order today on Audeo's official website. Do you guys know how long it would take for Audeo to ship out them? (I live in the US). I am very excited about these IEMs. Also, if I use an IPOD classic Gen5.5, how much volume would I need to make the music acceptably loud? Thanks :)

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #535 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by praguewatermelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I placed my order today on Audeo's official website. Do you guys know how long it would take for Audeo to ship out them? (I live in the US). I am very excited about these IEMs. Also, if I use an IPOD classic Gen5.5, how much volume would I need to make the music acceptably loud? Thanks :)

I ordered mine on the 12th and received them on the 17th. The sensitivity isn't as high as other IEMs, but since I switched to the Comply tips they seem louder, almost as loud as my IE8s and NE-7s.

And loud is subjective, what are your current phones, and what volume level do you listen to them at?

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #536 of 2,281
Quote:

I bought mine from within the US.

I've been listening to mine for...ummm *checks the time* 5 hours now!. I've been using my Pico amp but I just plugged into my 6 G and at 75% volume they are plenty loud. It really depends on the gain of the music file...and of course your idea of what is acceptable.

These IEMs do not need to be amped unless you try them with a really crappy DAP I suppose.

OK! this is it! I'm going to bed...just one more song
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #537 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine on the 12th and received them on the 17th. The sensitivity isn't as high as other IEMs, but since I switched to the Comply tips they seem louder, almost as loud as my IE8s and NE-7s.

And loud is subjective, what are your current phones, and what volume level do you listen to them at?

I don't actually own any IEMs, but I borrowed my friend's er6i, and I am listening to them right now. it's really quiet in my room, and the the volume is between 20 to 25%?

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #538 of 2,281
Well it has been a long week listening to my PA. Am I happy? Yes I am, but I come from a dark past of audiophilia tremenda in which I spent too much and enjoyed too little. My cure was to force me to enjoy music and forgo the “pleasures” of sound nitpicking and overanalyzing. Have the PA kept me on the good side of music enjoyment? Yes and no.

Yes, because the synergy with a simple Sansa Clip 8Gb is both enjoyable and precise enough disregarding the bitrate you rip your music. Bass is there plenty and fun (Black filter and Complys). Treble is not very extended, I would have liked a little bit more, but it is polite and bearable even with bad quality soundtracks. Mids are superb in tone and so and so in quantity of detail. I felt as well a hint of harshness showing up in women voices, flutes and sax music. In general I have great fun listening to the PA missing only a little bit more of detail in the music and smoother higher mids. You could say that to my ears the PA are fun, superb bass, ok mids, polite treble, not too detailed IEMs. Not true, because…

... I connected them to my old H120. The bass got more detailed losing a little bit of the fun factor in the process. The mids lost all trace of harshness and detail was there a plenty: WOW. Trebles: airy, extended and beautiful. In this instance the PA could be described as an extended, crystal clear, neutral IEM with a tight analytical bass.

Neither of the sound signatures would please my audiophile needs -nothing will-,even so both make me very happy as a music listener. The PA are not at fault here, simply my sources are what they are.

So I could say that I have made a lame review of the SQ of my sources, the PA just were there to help me.

Would I recommend them? Yes, but beware the PA will bring all the best and worst of your equipment and that’s always a risk.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #539 of 2,281
Quote:

I ordered mine like on a Monday morning. They shipped same day and arrived on a Wednesday if I recall. I think they shipped from somewhere in NJ, so not far from DC at all.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #540 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I too am waiting for them to be trashed by a SE530/TF10/IE8/W3 snobs, but then again we have had owners of those already compare the PFEs positively. I also just think the obscurity of the Phonak brand might keep people away. Then again, I could be find with that as I never like to buy the "in" or trendy product. I am often the one who buys "the best secret value" product. But I also hope enough people buy them to make it profitable for Phonak such that they continue to innovate and provide more best secret value products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back