Phonak Audeo?
Jan 24, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #496 of 2,281
Cheers.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #498 of 2,281
I received my PAs today and I’ve had them in since I finished work. I fitted the black filters after a time (honestly, not much) with the grey ones. I don’t want to take them out of my ears!
L3000.gif

Everything in the last 30-odd pages of posts has been running through my mind as I go through my modest (but growing) flac collection, and what is coming across the most to me so far is the precision with which the PA delivers. It seems as if they are almost true across the spectrum i.e. no peaks and troughs.
The highs are incredibly clear and yet not piercing. Cymbals and hi-hats are faithfully reproduced. Sibilance is a non-issue.
The mids are wonderfully smooth and rich even if they seem a little forward with the grey filters; mostly why I’m leaning towards the black ones for now.
The bass is tight, responsive and considerately proportional. Not to mention ridiculously low. Turn up the volume on Bink Audio Test CD track 11 (16Hz -1dB). With my D2 I’m using a touch of the Cowon Mach3Bass. As far as quantity goes, bass will always be a matter of preference I suppose. I’m happy with it.
So far I am in love! I remember someone posting about phones that don't get in the way of the music. These are them. I’m more than happy to fiddle a bit with EQ and filters if it means I can have this quality at this price!

Here’s a question though: how much better are the shure olives than the PA medium silicones?

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #499 of 2,281
These are pretty awesome, thanks for all the contributors that spread the news on this one. I kind of think find it funny that I am suggesting these to people that post "looking for IEM" threads, and everybody seems to be ignoring me for the more well know IEMs. Too bad for them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_jay_k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here’s a question though: how much better are the shure olives than the PA medium silicones?

For me, the olives extended the bass while increasing the quantity to just the right amount that seems like a perfect balance to me. They also tamed the slight overzealous highs that I heard with the silicon.

I have not tried the comply T-130 that came with these for an extended period, that is my next step...

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #501 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are pretty awesome, thanks for all the contributors that spread the news on this one. I kind of think find it funny that I am suggesting these to people that post "looking for IEM" threads, and everybody seems to be ignoring me for the more well know IEMs. Too bad for them!

I'm trying not to recommend the PA because I don't have enough experience with IEMs...too many to try them all. I remain very excited to have extended listening sessions with these babies!

If what I've read so far is true, and I have no reason to think otherwise, the PA very well might be the best IEM at $150 and below...or a bit higher.

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #502 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying not to recommend the PA because I don't have enough experience with IEMs...too many to try them all. I remain very excited to have extended listening sessions with these babies!

If what I've read so far is true, and I have no reason to think otherwise, the PA very well might be the best IEM at $150 and below...or a bit higher.

The reason I recommend them is based off what other (trusted) people have said about them compared with a bunch of IEMs I have never heard in person, and say they beat them (such as the X10). I have seen plenty of people pile on recommending IEMs they don't own here based on what others say. At least I do own them and think they are pretty awesome
icon10.gif

And yea, I agree with the best in the price range, that is why I own them - listening to them now (my IE8 is still burning in).

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #503 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed that joe, lol. I'm still waiting for mine but I have high hopes for them. So Shure Olives or the hybrid Comply T-500 with Phonak silicone seems the way to go? Who was it that did the hybrid? Any pictures?

I am now listening with the included Comply T-130 tips, which IMHO are more comfortable than the olives, and they sound just as good, if not even better! No wonder Comply charges what they do!

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #504 of 2,281
Agree on people ignoring my posts about PAs when they ask about which IEM to buy. Weird. But hey, I agree, it's their loss. I tried the slim Complys today, the ones that come with the W3s, and they also deliver great SQ on the PAs. While Phonak recommends only the sleeves they provide, the Olives and the slim Complys also work very well. I was using the medium silicone bulbs a little, but they just always seem to be slipping out or something. I find myself always pressing on them for a seal. Not so with foamies. Anyway, I love these phones too. I ignored the gray filter since so many seem to prefer the black. I should go back and try the grays, just for kicks.

Odd to be part of such a small group of devotees to a specific new IEM. I will say this, I don't believe the PAs will ever be considered a flavor of the month phone. The quality/transparency is just too good. Look forward to other Phonak models.

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #505 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Odd to be part of such a small group of devotees to a specific new IEM. I will say this, I don't believe the PAs will ever be considered a flavor of the month phone. The quality/transparency is just too good.

When you consider Phonaks long history it's no wonder they were able to make an IEM that sounds this good. My guess is they will continue to improve on the design/performance, especially if these do well. I'm curious to see where the popularity for these stand in several months.

Someone should start a PA fan thread so we have a list of users.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #506 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you consider Phonaks long history it's no wonder they were able to make an IEM that sounds this good. My guess is they will continue to improve on the design/performance, especially if these do well. I'm curious to see where the popularity for these stand in several months.

Someone should start a PA fan thread so we have a list of users.

Exactly...they make hearing aids which need to reproduce sound accurately in a small package. I wouldn't be surprised if they have superior knowledge of human hearing/ear function.

And I haven't even put in my IE8s yet tonight (still burning in) as the PAs sound so great! I think I will right now though
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #507 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree on people ignoring my posts about PAs when they ask about which IEM to buy. Weird. But hey, I agree, it's their loss. I tried the slim Complys today, the ones that come with the W3s, and they also deliver great SQ on the PAs. While Phonak recommends only the sleeves they provide, the Olives and the slim Complys also work very well. I was using the medium silicone bulbs a little, but they just always seem to be slipping out or something. I find myself always pressing on them for a seal. Not so with foamies. Anyway, I love these phones too. I ignored the gray filter since so many seem to prefer the black. I should go back and try the grays, just for kicks.

Odd to be part of such a small group of devotees to a specific new IEM. I will say this, I don't believe the PAs will ever be considered a flavor of the month phone. The quality/transparency is just too good. Look forward to other Phonak models.

I would recommend the PA.PFE(Sorry for the new acronym, PA sounds too much like a PA system) whole heartedly.

Oh and Phonak has a line of hearing aids called the audeo. http://www.phonak.com/professional/p...o_overview.htm

Talk about confusing model names!

I liked my SCL4 a lot but the PA.PFE are so much more comfortable, smooth and easy to listen to. Yet they have extreme clarity. Phonak knows ears and how we perceive sound and it shows.

Even with the Shure I always wanted something more. Some more clarity, some more instrument seperation. The PA.PFE is pretty close to what I imagined my dream IEM would sound like.

To me the Shure Olives seem to muddy the sound too much. The D-Jays have the exact same nozzle but their tips itch too much. The Phonal medium silicon sleeve works best for me.

The Grey filters are my favorite. I found blacks recessed the mids too much and this makes you want to increase the volume knob. The blacks don't increase bass as much as recess mids to make the bass more perceptible. Black filters with Shure Olives killed the beautiful clear and effortless sound for me and makes them muddy. My wife thought the black filters were good until she heard the Grey ones.

The Phonak silicone sleeve is very soft and pliant so it feels as if there is no seal. To me that is just them being more comfortable and disappearing. The Shure olives make their presence felt all the time. You feel as if you have IEMs on.

These don't isolate very well because they don't go far enough in. I can see how they wouldn't work too well in very noisy environments. I think the comply tips would help here.

Thanks everyone who praised these to no end. I haven't been this happy with an earphone purchase. I think I am finally done shopping for IEMs.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #508 of 2,281
Finally some Phonak lovers, I was starting to think I was the only one. To the person who stated the Phonaks are probably the best phones in their price range and over I agree. Wow Oarura I thought the same thing, shopping for good phones is not a need or want anymore I've found perfection. Im finally sastified when I listen to the Phonaks I say in my head it can't get no better then this.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #509 of 2,281
OK, I bit... Just ordered one of these Audeo PFE's. Crazy consider my current financial situation and the fact that I just received my Shure SE530's two days ago.

I want two head phones, one for my player and one to keep with my computer, and a second pair of SE530 is a "no can do". Getting these to replace my 3 week old Shure SCL4's, the base was just a bit lacking for me (especially after getting the SE530's). I just hope the Phonak's offer enough bass to keep me content.

Oh, and these will be pared with my newly acquired 8gb Sansa Clip as my Fiance will be getting my Samsung P2 to replace her broken P2.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #510 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Confispect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Oarura I thought the same thing, shopping for good phones is not a need or want anymore I've found perfection. Im finally sastified when I listen to the Phonaks I say in my head it can't get no better then this.

I kinda with I was done also, but I have a new IE8 burning in. After 50 bours they both sound fantastic, but right now I would give the PAs the thumbs up. But I am going to burn in the IE8s for at least another 50 hours before I really start to compare the two.

When I switch from the PA to the IE8, I get a much more airy feel, but after extended listening I miss the detail and accuracy of the PA. I hope the burn in clears the IE8s up a lot more (supposedly it does, but they weren't comparing them to PAs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back