Phonak Audeo?
Feb 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #1,321 of 2,281
Are we talking those round relatively smallish yellow Shure foamies, from the SE530, etc.? I have some of those, but didn't think I could squish them onto the PFEs. Did you stretch them first? Apart from their hideous looks, they are just the right size for my ears. I used to use them with Atrios and SA6s.

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #1,322 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are we talking those round relatively smallish yellow Shure foamies, from the SE530, etc.? I have some of those, but didn't think I could squish them onto the PFEs. Did you stretch them first? Apart from their hideous looks, they are just the right size for my ears. I used to use them with Atrios and SA6s.

Yes, they were from when I owned the E4Pro. I bought them at Alpha Music in Virginia Beach for $200, they sold large packs of the yellow foam tips (10 pairs??) fairly cheap so I stocked up since they were my preference with E4.

They do have smaller tubes but they go on fairly easy. I push the PFE stem at an angle into the Shure tube. No pre-stretching.Once I get them on for the most part I just give an easy push to get them flush.

I tried my Ety bi-flange(mod) silicone tips but the tubes are really small and they sounded wrong...at least they push on easily due to the soft silicone.

I bought a different package with larger quantity but these are the same
487436.jpg

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #1,323 of 2,281
Who all has tried the olives with the PFEs? I am thinking about getting some olives, but want to make sure they would be an improvement over the complys.

I definitely prefer these styles over the silicon for fit and seal, but the silicon really shines in terms of staying clean.

Wheres the best of both worlds?!

Feb 14, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #1,324 of 2,281
The olives are very easy to keep clean and should nearly last as long as the silicones. Their best thing about them, however, is the much better isolation they provide (at least for me).

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #1,325 of 2,281
I recommend customs for who like much more bass and warmer sound. And about 40db isolation offcourse. Otherwise silicones are quite well enough. Customs don't put more clarity and detail. But soundstage is changing some how..., it's like headphone's. Btw they cost me about 50 bucks, it's standart cost for hearing aids. Earphone companys selling this thinks with insane prices. Because they know, audiophiles always pay for better sound.

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #1,328 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my HD 650 actually does have treble. That's with Zu Mobius and the Corda Symphony. But I agree that the midrange on the Audéo is not quite as full and lush, and the treble is a bit more present and linear. It was mainly the bass characteristic which reminded me of the HD 650.

Ah, I agree

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #1,329 of 2,281
Have to try them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they were from when I owned the E4Pro. I bought them at Alpha Music in Virginia Beach for $200, they sold large packs of the yellow foam tips (10 pairs??) fairly cheap so I stocked up since they were my preference with E4.

They do have smaller tubes but they go on fairly easy. I push the PFE stem at an angle into the Shure tube. No pre-stretching.Once I get them on for the most part I just give an easy push to get them flush.

I tried my Ety bi-flange(mod) silicone tips but the tubes are really small and they sounded wrong...at least they push on easily due to the soft silicone.

487436.jpg

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #1,330 of 2,281
with my diy foamed-silicone tips i love these pfe's even more!

bass might have very slightly increased, but still ok.

isolation is also better. (duh)

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #1,332 of 2,281
Hey, excellent recommendation. I had like 10 pair sitting around. For my ears, they fit perfectly, and the sound is excellent, like the PFE should be. Not pretty tips, for sure, but effective. And I ordered the large T130s today, and now I don't need them. I will sell them if they are too large. I find the medium T130 (which come with the PFEs) a little too small/soft for a good seal. They work, but too much sound leaking. Thanks for that tip, pun intended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

487436.jpg

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #1,333 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by zupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn I wish shure would sell a trial pack of the olives

I bought a pack of mediums and they are to big, anyone got some smalls they want to trade out?

Try the for sale/trade, since the olives are used with many IEMs. I have some mediums too but can't use them with the PFEs.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #1,334 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, excellent recommendation. I had like 10 pair sitting around. For my ears, they fit perfectly, and the sound is excellent, like the PFE should be. Not pretty tips, for sure, but effective. And I ordered the large T130s today, and now I don't need them. I will sell them if they are too large. I find the medium T130 (which come with the PFEs) a little too small/soft for a good seal. They work, but too much sound leaking. Thanks for that tip, pun intended.

Hey good deal. I think I'll keep using these yellow uglies, to me they sound almost as good as the medium Phonak silicones and they seem to isolate better. I'd finally decided to leave my tweezers out 'cause I'd be needing them for the nightly tip extraction procedure with the silicones.

I wouldn't mind trying some of the other tips discussed here but I'm too lazy to order...plus I'm afraid I'll end up with a pile of useless tips.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #1,335 of 2,281
That's what I like best about these tips. The foam is less mushy, so better seal. Always liked them with the Atrios and Sleeks. Never thought to try and get them onto the PFEs. And since they are not sealed, like olives or complys, they do sound more like the silicones with the comfort of foamies. I have a 3-pair pack of the medium T130s and those larges on the way. Might have to sell them all.

Apart from the ugliness, the Shure sleeves are working very well so far. Anyone looking to try something else should try these, and they are cheaper (can get them on ebay) than most other foamies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back