Phonak Audeo?
Feb 11, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #1,156 of 2,281
Quote:

This is an an excellent post, in terms of outlining why someone chooses a particular IEM, and I am pretty much in the same boat (which makes it resonate even more for me). I nearly pulled the trigger on the IE8s last night for $223. I had even sold off some gear to finance them. But then, as I looked over my current collection, I realized I had to put on the brakes.

For one, I only own the Westone 3s cause I got them as a gift. To me, they are not the perfect IEM, but I am keeping them. I love the SQ from both the PFEs and the Yuin PK3s (and use them for different reasons, of course). The Image X10s fill a comfort use role, albeit a small one, for when I am on the go in a hurry and don't want to fuss with over the ear (plus, my wife likes them for when we travel cause they have those teeny ear gels). And finally, now I have the Monster Turbines as a review model (through the Monster program), and after a 15 hours of burn-in, they are sounding very, very good (and like the IE8s, they are a dynamic phone, with more bass emphasis and wide soundstage).

So now I need the IE8s? Nope.

I can understand if you use IEMs all day long and only have 1-2 pair, the Senns make sense. But for me, with so much to choose from, it's silly to stay on some "must get the best" path.

Last night, I got out the Westones, the PFEs and the Turbines, took turns listening to some revealing, high-bitrate tracks on the Touch via LOD and through the Minibox, and realized, "This is some great sound, across the board."

Almost forgot, when I am sitting at my desk at home, I have the Grados as well, which allow me to hear the phone, the doorbell, etc. So no real need for isolation when sitting in the office. Plus, with the Class D amp and excellent vintage speakers I have, music sounds pretty good in my office the old-fashioned way too.

So warehouse, while my decision to skip the IE8 and stick with the PFE is somewhat different from yours, I know exactly where you are coming from.

I think that this is the first time someone has told me that I wrote an excellent post! Thanks for the comment and the vote of confidence for resiting the urge to buy the IE8s. I was really drawn in my the terms "airy" and "sound stage" which describes some of the things I like. Fortunately I dug out some of my old Ella Fitzgerald mp3s to sample and could confirm that the PFEs can have a decent sound stage. Although it's not my normal listening material, I'm amazed that music that was recorded some 40 years ago can sound so good. Sure it's not the pure clean digital sound of today's music, but the dynamic sound stage really makes you feel like you're there and the PFEs do not disappoint.

I know that you IE8 folks will be chiming in now to tell me how much I'm missing and please go ahead, maybe I'll pick them up later when my other needs change, but for now I'm going to try to be happy that I found the PFEs.

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #1,157 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too slow
biggrin.gif

A couple quickies...

IMG_2316.jpg

beerchug.gif

T4 velcro'd under the 4G Nano in a clear case, with stevenkelby piccolino iMod LOD with USB charging port (only charges the iMod but not newer ipods). I tend to only keep one LOD in my pocket, so I picked one that works with all my sources.

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture2008-t4nano.jpg

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #1,158 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the grey medium silicone tips, and will have to try the Complys T130 or Black Olives with grey filters.

Interested in your results as well. Been using the grey medium silicone tips and default grey filters since getting my PFE's.

Not tried the black filters based on what is on here, don't think I need any more bass - finding the grey filters nicely balanced.

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #1,159 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by warehouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm amazed that music that was recorded some 40 years ago can sound so good. Sure it's not the pure clean digital sound of today's music, but the dynamic sound stage really makes you feel like you're there and the PFEs do not disappoint.

I know that you IE8 folks will be chiming in now to tell me how much I'm missing and please go ahead, maybe I'll pick them up later when my other needs change, but for now I'm going to try to be happy that I found the PFEs.

Actually, music recorded 40-50 years ago is much better overall than todays mainstream music which has much more processing and compression added. IMHO

~~

As for upgrading, be careful... it never ends - once you get the IE8s, then you'll need the UE11s, so unless you are missing something now, just be happy and save your money.

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #1,160 of 2,281
just tried the black filters, since i didn't try them when i had my previous faulty ones, and after 30 seconds i decided i want grey ones instead

for some reason the grey ones give much clearer sound. i didn't notice the extra base THAT much, but it's very obvious that grey filters give a clearer sound. to me anyway...

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #1,161 of 2,281
i now absolutely understand why some head-fiers say the don't have enough sleep after buying the pfe's.

i don't want to sleep either...despite being terribly sleepy for over an hour...

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #1,162 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassiohui /img/forum/go_quote.gif

for some reason the grey ones give much clearer sound. i didn't notice the extra base THAT much, but it's very obvious that grey filters give a clearer sound. to me anyway...

Me too. I don't think I'll ever use the Black filters anymore...unless I'm desperate because I have no Grey.

I'm finished punishing myself with lack of sleep due to "just one more song" (x 20). It is very difficult to stop listening to these IEMs when there's so many songs to try out. I went 15 hours with the silicone tips in my ears...sleeping 6 of those hours. Very addicting sound! Very comfortable!

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #1,163 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedorov /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interested in your results as well. Been using the grey medium silicone tips and default grey filters since getting my PFE's.

Not tried the black filters based on what is on here, don't think I need any more bass - finding the grey filters nicely balanced.

With black olives and black filters out of a 4G Nano it just sounds all WRONG. Boxy, muffled and distant with veiled details is how I would describe it right now - like a $20 ear bud.

So I am going to put the grey filters back in and try the black olives again, but the last time I tried the Phonak with black filters and Complys T130 I don't recall having this reaction of surprise at the drop in sound quality like with the Black Olives.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #1,165 of 2,281
damn i thought i decided to go and sleep 3 hours ago...LOL

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #1,166 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedorov /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With black olives and black filters out of a 4G Nano it just sounds all WRONG. Boxy, muffled and distant with veiled details is how I would describe it right now - like a $20 ear bud.

So I am going to put the grey filters back in and try the black olives again, but the last time I tried the Phonak with black filters and Complys T130 I don't recall having this reaction of surprise at the drop in sound quality like with the Black Olives.

Nope, the black olive foam tips still don't sound right to me, although with the grey filters the black olives sound better than they do with black filters.

The Complys T130 tips are much better, and I like them with the grey filters (even with the 4G Nano, which with silicone tips the 4G nano can be a little sibilant with grey flters on some music.)

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #1,167 of 2,281
Finally, I just received PFEs. Out of the box impression (0 hour burn-in). With silicone tips and grey filters.

Currently listening to this album
Mancini's Greatest Hits 1989: Album review and songs from Answers.com
I ripped it and converted to FLAC. Refer to my signature for the audio path. No EQing and effects. Totally straight/flat settings.

Very nice treble and I am loving it. Clear and accurate. . Bass it there but still more to come
smily_headphones1.gif
. Soundstage is wide and very good instrumentals separation. I do agree with dfkt's reviews, this IEMs not quite suitable for bass head. With some bass boost, everything should be fine.

Playing Diana Krall's, The Girl in the Other Room, FLAC
Sibiliances ? Sounds natural to my ear.

There were some hassles to purchase this IEMs from Singapore, but worth of it. This do reminds me to Sony MDR-CD3000 but with better treble.

Thank you

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #1,168 of 2,281
good for u mr. bahathir!
as i can only compliment people who had purchase and listening to the Phonak audeo PFE right now....

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #1,169 of 2,281
glad that so many ppl are enjoying these great iems as much as i do
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #1,170 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, I just received PFEs. Out of the box impression (0 hour burn-in). With silicone tips and grey filters.

Currently listening to this album
Mancini's Greatest Hits 1989: Album review and songs from Answers.com
I ripped it and converted to FLAC. Refer to my signature for the audio path. No EQing and effects. Totally straight/flat settings.

Very nice treble and I am loving it. Clear and accurate. . Bass it there but still more to come
smily_headphones1.gif
. Soundstage is wide and very good instrumentals separation. I do agree with dfkt's reviews, this IEMs not quite suitable for bass head. With some bass boost, everything should be fine.

Playing Diana Krall's, The Girl in the Other Room, FLAC
Sibiliances ? Sounds natural to my ear.

There were some hassles to purchase this IEMs from Singapore, but worth of it. This do reminds me to Sony MDR-CD3000 but with better treble.

Thank you

indeed. I myself is not a basshead but adequate bass is needed for some genre. bass wasn't much heard but some EQ setting has suffice for me.
atsmile.gif
wondering if I could maybe use an amp wth my A806

PS: working now, can't wait to knock off and then snug the "sexy ladies" in..
jecklinsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back