Phonak Audeo?
Jan 27, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #586 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. This makes me happy to read. Knowing how much you enjoy the ER4 and how much time you've spent building various rigs, I have been doubting that you'd consider the Phonak.

I realize that you've just spent a ton on the Lisa III so have mercy on your wallet already!!
biggrin.gif

I hope you do find a dealer that works for you. I took a chance with shopclarityhearingaids.com and received very good service although now I can't find the PFE at the site. Even though I've read that some people paid a better price(I think), I didn't have a problem with the $145 that it cost me.

I look forward to reading your impressions...once you've had plenty of time with them of course.

I'm still not sure what pulled me so strongly towards these IEMs. Mainly it was Martins glowing review that set off a feeling that these could really work for me,they seemed to fit my personal taste for a monitor. I was all set to buy the W3 but after reading conflicting impressions early on, I had seconds thoughts and my gut told me to hold off. I was ready to try a new IEM and the low price for these made it a very easy decision.

Keeping an open mind is the key. Despite all the hype surrounding W3 and IE8, I think the strength of PFE is in it's humility - a super silent performer just like the MiniBox-E+.....gosh I love mighty underdogs.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #587 of 2,281
just got my phonaks, and i realised the 3.5mm male connector is a straight one, not a right angled one (which i prefer), and the cable is slightly too short. no matter, i'll just find an extension cord with a right angled connecter, and both problems will be solved (if i can find one)

keep in mind these first impressions are from brand new pfe's, no burn in or whatever.

first impression, they really seem to be quite analytical...using the grey filters, the highs seem more be a lot more obvious compared to my ue sf3's. maybe even slightly too much highs. will try the black filters later and see if they reduce the highs a bit. bass in grey filters are enough for me though. currently trying via the headphone out port on creative's t20 series ii speakers, since my 5.5G ipod's battery drained. will probably buy an ipod classic soon though.

oh, and the included silicon cable holder things aren't as nice as i expected. i prefer not use them

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #588 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keeping an open mind is the key. Despite all the hype surrounding W3 and IE8, I think the strength of PFE is in it's humility - a super silent performer just like the MiniBox-E+.....gosh I love mighty underdogs.

Look forward to your take on the minibox and the PFEs. Obviously, I feel they are a match made in heaven. Two "stealth" performers working together.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #589 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4) If my ears are too small for the housings of the S-Jays to "sit" properly (though I can still get a good seal. it just doesn't look as good), will the PFEs feel awkward in any way?

Well they ARE Perfect Fit Earphones.

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #591 of 2,281
the 3.5mm connector seems to have some problem...if you carefully bend the connector tiny bit (which is absolutely possible in real life, since the connector isn't exactly short), the left side mutes. this i believe means there are some slight connection problems within the connector, bad soldering or whatever, but i just want to check, am i the only one with this problem? thanks!

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #593 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone heard both the Phonak and the Klipsch Custom 3? If yes then how do they compare to each other?
I always feel the Custom 3 don't have enough treble for my taste.

If you would like a cleaner higher pitched treeble than your C3 the phonak would probably suit you. But be prepare to lose the warm render and the balanced signature of the Custom 3.

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #594 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassiohui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
keep in mind these first impressions are from brand new pfe's, no burn in or whatever.

first impression, they really seem to be quite analytical...using the grey filters, the highs seem more be a lot more obvious compared to my ue sf3's. maybe even slightly too much highs. will try the black filters later and see if they reduce the highs a bit. bass in grey filters are enough for me though. currently trying via the headphone out port on creative's t20 series ii speakers, since my 5.5G ipod's battery drained. will probably buy an ipod classic soon though.

oh, and the included silicon cable holder things aren't as nice as i expected. i prefer not use them

These don't require burn in as they are armature drivers (at least I didn't notice any changes in sound in mine). The biggest changes come from which tip fits and the filters.

To me, the grey had too much treble, as you can see in the chart for the frequency response (in dfkt's review and on the Phonak website). With the black filters, the entire spectrum is pretty flat and sounds that way to me.

I agree about the silicon holders, I used them for a little bit, but now don't.

For me, once I figured out the best tip (included Complys)/ear configuration these things really began to shine!

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #595 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, that's true, I would hate for that to happen. Oh well, at least I don't have work on Wed, so hopefully I can get to the door quicker than my dad can haha.

Do I have to pay cash for the duties? Sorry for the stupid questions, this is my first time going through "duties" and all that, since I moved to Canada about 6 months ago from the States, so I've never had to go through this before. AND it's my first credit card purchase!

Duties isn't something that is just Canadian, it's just what governments do when you purchase things out of the country.

Anywhom, the FedEx guy will take cash or credit.

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #596 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine doesn't do that.

hm...i'll probably send them back and ask for another pair then...

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #597 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by |Fred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you would like a cleaner higher pitched treeble than your C3 the phonak would probably suit you. But be prepare to lose the warm render and the balanced signature of the Custom 3.

You own the PFEs? Just curious. To me, there is not really much to lose moving from the Custom 3s to the PFEs. It's not a matter of just getting more treble in my view.

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #598 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I envy you my friend. To be in Audio Bliss as you are.

Well, hope I didn't overstate my case. I know you are very happy with the ER4P (highly modded), so the PFE/Minibox combo may not be the same for you. But I am very interested in how you hear it.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #599 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These don't require burn in as they are armature drivers (at least I didn't notice any changes in sound in mine). The biggest changes come from which tip fits and the filters.

To me, the grey had too much treble, as you can see in the chart for the frequency response (in dfkt's review and on the Phonak website). With the black filters, the entire spectrum is pretty flat and sounds that way to me.

I agree about the silicon holders, I used them for a little bit, but now don't.

For me, once I figured out the best tip (included Complys)/ear configuration these things really began to shine!

Agree on the filter/sleeve combo. I tried the grays, but just too mid/high focused for my tastes. Though I may put them back on and turn on the Minibox bass gain, just for kicks.

And yes, no burn in required.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #600 of 2,281
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duties isn't something that is just Canadian, it's just what governments do when you purchase things out of the country.

Anywhom, the FedEx guy will take cash or credit.

Oh I knew that, I was just saying that I never had to deal with duties before, since I never had to order something from out of the country.

Ok cool, I'll probably just use credit, I seem to never have cash on me ever. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back