Phonak Audeo PFE vs head direct RE0
Oct 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

redmaster

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I have view many reviews, but i would like to know what is better, the Phonak Audeo PFE or the Head-Direct's RE0 ? About neutrality, and isolating especially.

Thanks in advance for your help.
beyersmile.png

Redmaster

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 15
i find the RE0 to be bass light, but most people say that its neutral. sine waves disagree.
isolation is pretty good. i can put them in and with no music on i can just hear muffled talking 2 metres away. put some music on and its all drowned out.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by roosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find the RE0 to be bass light, but most people say that its neutral. sine waves disagree.
isolation is pretty good. i can put them in and with no music on i can just hear muffled talking 2 metres away. put some music on and its all drowned out.

If you think RE0 is bass light, chances are you probably don't have a good fit with them. Try experimenting with different tips. I found that only the stock big white dual flanges provide me with satisfactory bass and warmth.

As for PFE vs. RE0, I prefer RE0 by a landslide. PFE sounds unnatural, thin, dry and severely lacking micro detial/texture to my ears by comparison.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 15
Don't know RE0 but the PFEs with black filters and silicone sleeves are far from being unnatural and thin sounding. I perceive them to be one of the most balanced IEMs. Right now I'm listening to them - coming from JH-13. The difference is smaller than for SE-530 and IE8. No exaggerated bass and/or emphazised highs but very good bass extension and definition and good high frequency resolution. Definitely nothing for bassheads. Two weak points though: poor isolation and quality issues with cracking cases and cables getting inflexible.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know RE0 but the PFEs with black filters and silicone sleeves are far from being unnatural and thin sounding. I perceive them to be one of the most balanced IEMs. Right now I'm listening to them - coming from JH-13. The difference is smaller than for SE-530 and IE8. No exaggerated bass and/or emphazised highs but very good bass extension and definition and good high frequency resolution. Definitely nothing for bassheads. Two weak points though: poor isolation and quality issues with cracking cases and cables getting inflexible.

X2 on that.
Wait for the revised PFE coming in a few weeks. RE0 is overrated.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 on that.
Wait for the revised PFE coming in a few weeks. RE0 is overrated.

Have you heard the RE0?

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 15
both are great phones.. RE0 are more transparant,more natural, more balance, li'l bit dark, and have a textured and accurate vocal.
PFE are more bright, li'l bit more fun, more forward and smoother (less textured) vocal.. both are bass light (in quantity)

So it's all about preference.. but i can say that both PFE and RE0 are the best price/performance cans. IMHO, they even better than all westone series..

personally, i prefer the RE-0..
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard the RE0?

I owned them for a week so yes. Overhyped. Better off with ER6i.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tetsu85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
both are great phones.. RE0 are more transparant,more natural, more balance, li'l bit dark, and have a textured and accurate vocal.
PFE are more bright, li'l bit more fun, more forward and smoother (less textured) vocal.. both are bass light (in quantity)

So it's all about preference.. but i can say that both PFE and RE0 are the best price/performance cans. IMHO, they even better than all westone series..

personally, i prefer the RE-0..
wink.gif

Completely inaccurate regarding PFE.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Completely?? So all my statement regading PFE are wrong?? mmm..
okay, so PFE are not fun, not bright and not smooth...
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

PFE does not suffer from "less textured vocal".
PFE is not "bright"
PFE does not "lack bass"

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 15
Both are very, very different sounding earphones.

It's really an apples to oranges comparison. You'll prefer one or the other depending on the characteristics you're looking for.

Both are good products in their own ways, each showing that they excel in select areas and doing generally well in most areas. Neither does anything terribly wrong, and both are well priced for their performance.

Personal preference, I feel the PFE is on a whole other level from the RE0, but it's a lot of preference in what I think is important in sound reproduction.

Some of the comments so far are kind of laughable.

I agree the RE0 is well balanced, decently neutral/natural sounding, but slightly dark. I agree the PFE is slightly "fun" in gearing. Bright, eh, not really, although it does present more midrange then some may consider "normal" and has a couple treble peaks that add a little extra to the top end. There is a specific bump in the bass range though and does make tonality a little warmer. With the black filter, it is much more so. Smooth, no. I have not heard another earphone yet that matches the exactness of note of the PFE earphone. There is NOTHING smoothed off about this phone.

I'm partially with ibis99. There is a LOT of hype over this earphone. There is some good reason for it as the RE0 does do certain things really good. I haven't heard another earphone with as much range as the RE0. The frequency response extension is really quite good. Frequency response is also pretty good and even. It offers a clean sound and a good amount of detail. It doesn't do a whole lot wrong. I have personal preferences against it. Sound stage isn't godly and lacks a bit in accurately creating space and location of singers and instruments. It's not the worst I've heard but also not the greatest. It lacks dynamics and sounds very compressed in the sense that every note, every sound made is the effort of a lot of work. It has an energetic, crisp note but without the supporting energy and authority that should be there. It makes the overall presentation sound small and weak even when amped. I think the RE0 needs a LOT of wattage, something a basic amp may not be able to provide. I had a FiiO E5, and I really question if it was remotely enough. In the end, it really needs an amp. For the $170 price tag it initially carried (and I paid for), it really wasn't worth the price. At $99 it's actually a pretty good deal and definitely worth a look. It'll just come down to personal preference if you like it or not.

I think the PFE is more universally likable and has a little more initial wow factor. It also works better unamped, although it benefits well from an amp to keep the low end controlled and energetic.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

I owned them for a week so yes. Overhyped. Better off with ER6i.

Could you please explain why you didn't like them? Simply calling them overhyped without actually providing any good reason why you think so makes no sense at all. Also, why do you prefer ER6i?

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 15
all my thought about PFE's are compared to RE0..
PFE's are brighter than RE0..
PFE's vocal are smoother than RE0..

and all are according to my ears..
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back