Phonak Audeo - Grey or Black Filters?
Jan 11, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #46 of 62

Quote:
That is normal, the 112s come with grey and black filters while the 022s come with green filters.  I also prefer the black filters to the grey ones as they sound more natural to the ear.

well all depends on taste I think - grey ones reminded me of the denon C710's sound, and by that i mean sibilant & bright

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #47 of 62
The grey ones give the IEMs more of an analytical sound to them while the black ones give the IEMs that bass boost they can use from the grey filters...  There is a loss if midrange, but things balance out a little better to my ears.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #48 of 62
I'm a gray filter person. I don't find them bright but do think they can be a bit revealing of source. The better the source, the better the gray filter. Decay and ambience die to quckly with the others filters by comparison though still fine for the price reange where the gray filter has res to compete well above it's range.

Here are some actual uncompensated measurements that clearly show the highs are reduced along with the mids on black and green filters. The mids do reduce a bit more so the balance seems slightly more U shaped but it's really about the added warmth.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #49 of 62

Quote:
The grey ones give the IEMs more of an analytical sound to them while the black ones give the IEMs that bass boost they can use from the grey filters...  There is a loss if midrange, but things balance out a little better to my ears.

yes indeed, although I found the grey ones a little too bright for my liking

Quote:
I'm a gray filter person. I don't find them bright but do think they can be a bit revealing of source. The better the source, the better the gray filter. Decay and ambience die to quckly with the others filters by comparison though still fine for the price reange where the gray filter has res to compete well above it's range.

Well my source is the SGS i9000, better than your iphone 4/4s and most heandheld audio sources.
I don't have a proper amp that said, but still - even through my girlfriend's laptop, the grey were still bright.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #50 of 62
LOL. I use top Naim kit for home stuff and have 24/96 dubs of masters where I was at the recording. Computers are not what I consider a good source. They sound great on my Rocoo with gray filters.
bigsmile_face.gif
I don't disagree that the balance is as good with the blacks but I don't find it a good trade off overall. They just lose too much subtlety and soul. There's so much more to music than tonal balance and the gray filters are about as close as the blacks overall, just slightly tilted the other way. The blacks a are little too thick and the gray a bit too forward. Maybe dirty grays are the way to go, LOL. This is all just my opinion and mileage will vary by use, need and desire.

I don't have an Iphone 4s and don't use a phone for tunes but talk to INKS about it, he's had a lot of stuff and quite likes it. I think your Samsung has an 8 ohm output impedance while the 4s is 1 so results may vary by IEM. Haven't heard the i9000 so can't comment on performance. You may find this interesting. http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s_vs_apple_iphone_4-review-500p6.php Doesn't tell the entire story either but does favor the Iphone 4 and INKs says the 4S is clearly better.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #51 of 62

Quote:
LOL. I use top Naim kit for home stuff and have 24/96 dubs of masters where I was at the recording. Computers are not what I consider a good source. They sound great on my Rocoo with gray filters.
bigsmile_face.gif
I don't disagree that the balance is as good with the blacks but I don't find it a good trade off overall. They just lose too much subtlety and soul. There's so much more to music than tonal balance and the gray filters are about as close as the blacks overall, just slightly tilted the other way. The blacks a are little too thick and the gray a bit too forward. Maybe dirty grays are the way to go, LOL. This is all just my opinion and mileage will vary by use, need and desire.

I don't have an Iphone 4s and don't use a phone for tunes but talk to INKS about it, he's had a lot of stuff and quite likes it. I think your Samsung has an 8 ohm output impedance while the 4s is 1 so results may vary by IEM. Haven't heard the i9000 so can't comment on performance. You may find this interesting. http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s_vs_apple_iphone_4-review-500p6.php Doesn't tell the entire story either but does favor the Iphone 4 and INKs says the 4S is clearly better.

Who ever wrote, that article:
"The Galaxy S audio quality is great but not iPhone 4-perfect

Is an idiot LOL

With that type of quote I stopped reading immediately.
Not saying my SGS is the best source, but its one of the best for portability - especially with apps like this for android

And back on topic:
Black filters don't lose anything special IMO, its just less bright and forward as the greys.

Agreed about dirty greys :p

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #52 of 62
Old thread is old but I wanted to add my thoughts on this too :)

I bought the 012 a while back (few months) to use on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and on the whole I'm impressed with their soundstage using stock green filters and the large sized silicon cups. I do notice though that the highs lack some detail in some music, but not all...

I have HD595 cans on my desktop (output from Xonar STX and NAD C325 Bee) and I use that as a basis for comparison because I find that combination absolutely sublime in both bass and treble detail, soundstage and clarity. There's ample punch and everything is very nice.

I've been looking at PFE filters and I think I'm decided on the grey. I prefer a Sennheiser like sound colour. I like soundstage but also like detail on the highs but punchy bass, not heavy bass. The green filters are almost there,just need more detail on the highs.

Seems the filters are now £18 a set with removal tool, if I use them without filter though will this seriously affect lifespan over time? I have a pouch and tin case I keep my 012s in so they won't gunk up with dirt or anything when not in use.

Cheers!

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #53 of 62
Quote:
Who ever wrote, that article:
"The Galaxy S audio quality is great but not iPhone 4-perfect

Is an idiot LOL

With that type of quote I stopped reading immediately.
Not saying my SGS is the best source, but its one of the best for portability - especially with apps like this for android

And back on topic:
Black filters don't lose anything special IMO, its just less bright and forward as the greys.

Agreed about dirty greys :p

LOL. Who ever said this was the last word on anything? Just shows that your source is not better. May not be worse as I haven't heard it but your view is clearly not universal. You're the one that made a claim about the galaxy as better. I also never said the black filter was bad. They are actually a little better balanced but I don't hear as far in. They lose a little too much at the top to even out the mids. It's not a bad trade off and certainly viable. I simply stated mt personal preference. I also own a few Sansa players, touch 3, touch 4, HiSound and a portable amp that performs above the Fiio level.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #55 of 62
bigsmile_face.gif

I don't have an Iphone 4s and don't use a phone for tunes but talk to INKS about it, he's had a lot of stuff and quite likes it. I think your Samsung has an 8 ohm output impedance while the 4s is 1 so results may vary by IEM. Haven't heard the i9000 so can't comment on performance. You may find this interesting. http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s_vs_apple_iphone_4-review-500p6.php Doesn't tell the entire story either but does favor the Iphone 4 and INKs says the 4S is clearly better.

thank you

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #56 of 62
Reviving an old thread, but figured it was better than creating a new one on a similar subject. 

Has anyone used the PFE's for an extended amount of time WITHOUT filters? I've been doing this for quite some time, and I just moved into a new house and found my old PFE case while unpacking. After putting the grey filters in (which I used to prefer over the black)... I found myself disappointed and actually think I prefer with no filters. 

Was looking to hear about any other experiences. Thanks. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #57 of 62
I just bought PFEs, got them yesterday, love them from first listening, but I can't still decide between blacks and greys: I love high resolution, separation and brightness of greys but also enjoy strong bass lines when using black filters. In my opinion PFEs with grey filter have kind of AKG sound signature, while with black ones you get one closer to Sennheiser.
For Jazz, classical and songs with dominant vocal role, the greys are my favourite, but electronica, pop and rock sound better with black ones.

Regarding listening with no filter - will check this option in next few days, but could anyone advice if this has no adverse effect on earphones? I mean, there must be a reason why they use filter in first place, right?

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #58 of 62
The filters are there to protect the IEMs. A lot of wax works its way from your ear inside them. Without the filters the wax would get inside the IEM's and potentially cause damage or block stuff. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back