Phonak Audeo and amp combos
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

GungaDin

Head-Fier
I've got a pair of Phonak Audeos on the way and I'm thinking of pairing them with a quality amp. My lead contender is the RSA Mustang because of the numerous enthusiastic reviews and do-able price. Also, the Mustang seems to excel regardless of the iems/phones used so it gets extra points for flexibility.

What amp (if any) are you using with the Phonaks?

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 20
Since they're brand spankin' new, I don't think you should expect many answers on this one..
But hey, a RSA amp is always a good thing to have
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 20
I've only used T4,XM5 and Pico with my Phonak so far. Only the XM5 & Pico have been seriously critiqued. I still need to give my PreSonus Central Station and Woo Audio 3 amps some quality time but those aren't portable anyway.

I prefer my Pico because it has a lush midrange and is slightly more detailed overall.

From what I've read about the Mustang I think I'd love it with the Phonak, but then again, any HQ amp would be heaven with the Phonaks. I think it really depends on how you like the sound to be colored...or maybe how little.

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 20
I hooked the Phonaks up to my MiniboxE+ last night, and the sound was fantastic. The MB, a real hidden gem among portable amps (just check out some of the reviews). I used both the LOD with my iPod Touch and iPod Video (30gb), and fantastic. And even using the HP out on both the Sony and Zune DAPs, via mini to mini, the Phonaks really responded to the amp. I highly recommend it, though it is not easy to get a MiniboxE+ these days. They have them at Head-Direct.com. I am sure the P-51 also is a good partner. Either way, and sure Great Dane will agree, the Phonaks really move up a peg with a quality amp. And that is saying something.

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 20
From what little I have read from you guys so far, the PFE does seem to exhibit similar traits to the ER-4 when it comes to amplification - that they scale up termendously enough to drop any jaw.

What I am interested in more is ho would an ultramodded PFE perform. I'd mod my PFE (once I have one) with full Silver wires recable and bump the impedance to 96 Ohm for a 100% amp setup.

More to come.....

PS:
Oh yes, the "underdog" MiniBox-E+ rocks

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not try them out un-amped first? I am using my iPhone 3G and the Phonak sounds wonderful driven by it.

Agree, but when hooked up to the right amp, the Phonaks get even better, believe me.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 20
How exactly does the Phonak improve with the MiniboxE+?

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree, but when hooked up to the right amp, the Phonaks get even better, believe me.

No I don't want to! My wallet can't handle it anymore.... I am really happy right now with the Phonak and ignorance is bliss in the audio world. Please don't take that away from me...
bigsmile_face.gif
L3000.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, nevermind.

I was just kidding. I'll probably get an amp later... i'll pick up one of the ones you tried them with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back