Phillips SHP9600
Jul 3, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #31 of 43
4781B98B-038B-40D7-8436-A4C939CDEB1C.jpeg

Left side. No signal. What might Ive done so wrong?

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #35 of 43
I got the two over the past couple of weeks, and bass is definitely more present in the SHP9600. To me SHP9600 sounded like it had a bump in the mid/upper bass region compared to the X2HR. The SHP9600 has a more pronounced V-shaped sound then X2HR, which sounded more neutral in comparison. Overall I slightly preferred the X2HR's sound, but I had to return it because I found it too uncomfortable for my big head.
I am still b2bing them, think I prefer the 9600 as I wasn't after a neutral headphone, I have my 6xx for that which I seriously enjoy but sometimes I want an open back with some bass and I don't want ot pay a lot for it as well it's a bassy headphone, what I have established and I haven't looked at the graphs on purpose is the 9600 have subbass in the audible range and a little below, x2-hr roll off.

Aug 19, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #41 of 43
Do you guys think that the SHP9600 is worth 70 usd for my partner, it´s on sale where I live now, here is the situation with her hearing:

She has a type of hearing impairment and doesn´t like closed headphones at all, and is also very sensitive when it comes to sibilance and bright treble (she can´t stand Klipsch and so on) and the SHP9600 seems to be warmer than the SHP9500 and less fatiguing, this according to Joshua Valour. Or are their better alternatives when it comes to a warmer open headphone in the same budget range?

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #42 of 43
There isn´t much activity in this thread so I might be talking to myself here. :) With that said, I bought a pair of SHP9600 today and tried them out, they are not for me/us and I will return them. I understand that many people like it but I can´t do anything else than give my own amateurish impressions of them. And I apologize for my english, it´s not my first language. I have listened to maaaany speakers in my days, headphones though are something that´s new to me but now that my wife has a hearing issue which makes my speaker-listening days almost over I will focus on headphones instead.

They seem like they are rather well-built for the price, the headband with the sizing, the cups and so on. The clamp is so-so. You shouldn´t move around much with this headphone. I think they are quite comfortable with good padding and comfortable materials, both around the ears and on top of the head, way more comfortable than the Anker Q30 which was the last pair of headphones I bought before these. The cable is fine.

I know they have more bass than the older model SHP9500 but I don´t think the bass is very good, not punchy, not fast and very much only present up top. It seems like they have just bumped the narrow bit of the bass up a bit too compensate for the lack of general lower bass capability and lack of good bass quality and detail, nuance, speed and punch which does not lead to a good result.

The midrange seem a bit too veiled and frankly muddy, I usually like a warmer sound signature that´s a bit laid back when it comes to speakers but this is just veiled and not at all clear or weighty.

I wouldn´t say that the treble is delivering the vocals or the instruments in a crisp and accurate way, seems to be a bit of an unfortunate dip somewhere in the treble.

The timbre and tonality is good, I think a guitar sounds like a guitar and so on, it´s actually very good even though the lack of a clear, smooth and weighty sound makes me not tap my foot so to say. This is for me the best thing about these headphones.

Conclusion: I don´t agree with the reviewers that have said that this is a good all-round headphone. Not very clear, not a good bass, good soundstage, good imaging, quite a warm sound signature. I just feel like a speaker/headphone that wants to achieve a warm sound signature of course can be more than forgiven if they lack a bit of detail and instead delivers a smooth, warm, weighty midrange, but this does not do that either. The lack of lower bass I get since it´s an open-back headphone, but the lack of quality and the bad attempt to bump up what´s there (of the not so detailed or nuanced bass) to compensate is not to my personal liking. Maybe the good soundstage and imaging, tonality and timbre makes it a good gaming-headphone for the price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back